Life after debt.

Options
Sunshine_girl2
Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,743 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 6 May at 8:25AM in How much have you saved?
Morning, I have been on the DFW board since Jan 2017 and finally became debt free in April 2021. I found I no longer fitted there a few months ago , and some things didn't sit right with me so closed my diary. Have decided this is the place for me now. 
Semi retired working two days a week, age 61 living alone in HA flat so will be paying rent through my retirement which causes me some anxiety at the thought of this. However it is what it is and I can't change it now. 
I am lucky in the fact that I have 18 months living expenses saved , tied  up for another year, I get the interest monthly and that goes into monthly pots . I have my pension from one employer which was non contributory how lucky was I . I also have my salary from my employment and am hoping to leave the pension from this employer until I am 67 when I get my state pension. 
I could inherit money parents are 84 and 85 but never include that in my retirement money as it's not guaranteed. 
Anyway that's it for now , off for a walk whilst the sun is out . 
Debt free April 26th 2021

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Sunshine ☀️ welcome. This may be a quiet corner but everyone is friendly and helpful & I’m sure people following your previous diary will follow you over to support you too. Have a lovely sunny bank holiday 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,367 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done for clearing the debt.  It must be a huge relief for you.  

Enjoy the sun while it's out!!  So many flowers to see this time of year.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 May at 12:20PM
    Options
    I also believe you will be happy in this part of the forum. the posters here are definitely very friendly and supportive. They are also in my opinion more down to earth and more typical of the reasons why MSE exists.

As you know I am one for detail lol. How is your pension income looking compared to planned expenditure?
    (that's if I may ask lol)

I am currently reflecting on my future activity on these forums. I stopped contributing to one favourite thread after taking a few knocks and feeling the thread had deviated from its original purpose.

I also closed my Senior Wonder Years thread as for some reason I felt a little vulnerable. Daft I know! Although I did receive some lovely supportive PMs just before the closure.

For the time being I will probably just contribute to the occasional thread. 

Anyway, welcome again and I am looking forward to reading your updates as well as following your savings journey.
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome . I am currently sat waiting at the opticians for my yearly eye test . Hoping it’s fairly cheap , I have £70 in the medical pot . I will be claiming some back from the health plan .
    i came back from my holidays on Saturday and have brought back 85 Euros which at this stage I will be keeping for a future trip . 
    I need to study my latest energy bill I think all my credit has now gone but it will build back up over the summer . Presently paying £95 a month for a2 bed flat . 
    Will be back later to add more detail of my monthly pots . 

• Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking forward to your updates.

After some reflection I have re-opened my Senior Wonder Years thread for occasional updates.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,973 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome and well done for clearing the debt.

Whilst being in a rental feels like a negative, it's a lot easier to get suitable property if required, no repairs and a lot more support through the HA. 

Perhaps do a benefit check, pretend you've reached retirement age and have all your pensions, see if there's any entitlement to help.
    Also, if you've not done one recently based on your current circumstances it's worth doing.

We represent reality in this little corner, form good friendships and the support cannot be faulted.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    Welcome and well done for clearing the debt.

Whilst being in a rental feels like a negative, it's a lot easier to get suitable property if required, no repairs and a lot more support through the HA. 

Perhaps do a benefit check, pretend you've reached retirement age and have all your pensions, see if there's any entitlement to help.
    Also, if you've not done one recently based on your current circumstances it's worth doing.

We represent reality in this little corner, form good friendships and the support cannot be faulted.
    Thank you MF , I will try a benefit check as if I am 67 sometime in the near future , helpful idea. 

• Sunshine_girl2
    Options
    Today finds me making use of myRHS membership . I am only 4 miles from my local one and come here at least twice a month even in winter . Living in a flat it’s like a haven for me . . Have bought a coffee to enjoy in the deck . 

• Doris17
    Doris17 Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to our little corner of the forums. Well done on clearing the debt. 

"Make Everyday Count"

#77 3-6 Months Emergency Fund £2528.11/£5000

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lovely photo. Great that you are so close to such beautiful spaces. 
    I'm sure you will be fine in retirement as most of the things you enjoy most are outdoor pursuits and simple pleasures, none of which cost masses of money. 
    Your parents are absolutely lovely so I am sure they will leave you something (but I know what you mean about it not being guaranteed)
    Glad I've tracked you down to this corner of the forum.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family