E.ON Next to British Gas Switch

Options
XDA
XDA Posts: 396 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 3 May at 2:59PM in Energy
I’m currently on the E.ON Next Pledge tariff for dual fuels but have seen the British Gas Fixed Lighter 12M v2 tariff which appears to be 15% cheaper.

Current (EON):

Electricity
Unit: 23.05
S/C: 63.31

Gas
Unit: 5.74
S/C: 31.67

New (British Gas)

Electricity
Unit: 25.466
S/C: 45.671

Gas
Unit: 5.975
S/C: 14.184 

I’m a low energy user so despite the slight increase in units for both gas and electric, I’d be better off with the much lower standing charges?

My quandary is whether better rates will come along in July?

BG is £150 exit fees so I wouldnt really be looking to change supplier again in July if better rates were available - I could switch to another cheaper BG tariff though.

I currently have zero exit fees on my E.On tariff and my fixed tariff ends in august so I would be looking to fix again then anyway.

I feel the much lower standing charges on the BG tariff make it a “no-brainer” to switch to it regardless of potential better prices in July?
“Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be thrown out of the nearest window!”

Comments

• Chris_b2z
    Chris_b2z Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    XDA said:
    I’m a low energy user so despite the slight increase in units for both gas and electric, I’d be better off with the much lower standing charges?

My quandary is whether better rates will come along in July?

BG is £150 exit fees so I wouldnt really be looking to change supplier again in July if better rates were available - I could switch to another cheaper BG tariff though.

I currently have zero exit fees on my E.On tariff and my fixed tariff ends in august so I would be looking to fix again then anyway.

I feel the much lower standing charges on the BG tariff make it a “no-brainer” to switch to it regardless of potential better prices in July?
    As a low energy user, you should definitely consider the BG Fixed Lighter 12M v2 tariff. It offers standing charges well below the SVT rates and you get half price electricity on Sunday afternoons. There is also a shared bonus of £150 if you know someone that can refer you to BG via their account.
    As you say, if energy prices drop significantly later in the year then you can always switch to another BG tariff without paying exit fees.

• XDA
    Options
    Thanks for this.

I was a British Gas customer for over 10 years until 2021 when I switched for a cheaper deal. I never had any issues with them in that time - Although that’s probably because I never needed to contact them for anything.

E.ON Next who I’m currently with are a nightmare to deal with when there’s a problem. I’ve had to contact them twice since 2021 for smart meter issues and it took weeks to get anywhere. 

I have family who were with SSE which became OVO - They’re equally difficult to contact and get anywhere when there is a problem.

For a 15% saving on my energy costs, I’m quite willing to take a gamble on BG.
    “Hardware: The parts of a computer system that can be thrown out of the nearest window!”
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    XDA said:

• Exit fee: £50 per fuel
      You won’t pay an exit fee if you switch to another British Gas fixed tariff.
  • XDA
    edited 3 May at 6:16PM
    Options
    XDA said:

• Exit fee: £50 per fuel
      You won’t pay an exit fee if you switch to another British Gas fixed tariff.

Thanks, I thought it was £75 for some reason. Must be thinking of another tariff I had looked at!
  • JoshinLeeds
    JoshinLeeds Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This does show as £75 exit fee on some comparison sites. There are other providers that have had incorrect information recently too.
  • XDA
    Options
    This does show as £75 exit fee on some comparison sites. There are other providers that have had incorrect information recently too.
    MSE Cheap Energy Club show it as £75 (per fuel). That’s where I’d saw it.

But it’s £50 as pointed out above and confirmed on BG’s website.

• xflare
    xflare Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 May at 7:05AM
    Options
    The recent reduction in unit rates epecially for electricty arent as good a deal as media have made out if you are a very low energy user as the recent big increases in standing charge in April will wipe out more and more of that saving the less energy you use.  

The prediction is for another drop 1st July but by 7.7%, not 13 as had been hoped.  Then increasing 4% in October and 0.2% in January. - But these are predictions so can change of course, as they already have.

But what about changes to standing charges with these price caps?  Are they going to go up or down?

The differrence in standing charge between that BG Fixed Lighter tariff and e.onn is huge, and although the unit rate is slightly higher with BG - you can change and reduce your electricty comsumption - but there is nothing you can do to reduce your standing charge.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 May at 11:36AM
    Options
    XDA said:
    MSE Cheap Energy Club show it as £75 (per fuel). That’s where I’d saw it.

But it’s £50 as pointed out above and confirmed on BG’s website.

In general Ive learned never trust referral / comparison sites details or deals will match.

If you use that specific BG site link - what price does it show ?

As found several pricing and coverage issues on insurance sites vs actual linked supplier policies so always a bit wary.

As such I'd worry if an error  MSE club - or genuine click through deal difference.
  • spot1034
    spot1034 Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    xflare said:
    The recent reduction in unit rates epecially for electricty arent as good a deal as media have made out if you are a very low energy user as the recent big increases in standing charge in April will wipe out more and more of that saving the less energy you use.  

The prediction is for another drop 1st July but by 7.7%, not 13 as had been hoped.  Then increasing 4% in October and 0.2% in January. - But these are predictions so can change of course, as they already have.

But what about changes to standing charges with these price caps?  Are they going to go up or down?

The differrence in standing charge between that BG Fixed Lighter tariff and e.onn is huge, and although the unit rate is slightly higher with BG - you can change and reduce your electricty comsumption - but there is nothing you can do to reduce your standing charge.
    That last CI prediction is several weeks old, since when wholesale rates have risen but every time they rise they tend to fall back, so it's not a massive change - however I think it would be wise to trim expectations for the July price cap just a bit. Think of a further fall perhaps nearer to 6% rather than the almost 8% previously suggested. Beyond that is still pure guesswork. Prices for the autumn and winter do look a bit higher, but this time last year the forward pricing for the winter just gone was way above what the short term prices turned out to be as the time drew nearer, so - as I said - pure guesswork at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback