IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

IAS Appeal Process exposed?

Options
Hi
I hope the good people here can help.
I recently got a ticket for staying over by 45 minutes at the gym because i had forgotten to register my car into their tablet for an extra hour. I asked the managed to appeal for me and he did. 
A few days later i went to check up on the progress and whilst i was there is bought a few pizzas from the Food Warehouse that was also in the retail park. I then went home and returned after 3 hours to go to the gym properly.
PCM decided to give me another ticket because they say you need to have a 4 hour gap. 
The Gym manager appealed again and he came back with " they will let you off for the 2nd ticket as long as you pay the first" Meanwhile i had appealed . As expected, the appeal failed so i then appealed to the IAS hoping to find some sanity.
Now ive had a verdict for both my parking tickets appeals to IAS. They say exactly the same words for both. The exact same words were used to reject my appeal for two very different types of parking tickets.
Its almost like it was a template. Surely, this is proof hat the whole IAS appeal process is a farce? I was wondering if it gets to court, would the fact that my appeal was not  properly looked at ( as proven by the stock answer) be something that would be in my favour?
. A part of me wants to just pay it off and be doe with. Another part of me doesnt like being shafted like this. 
All advice and tips appreciated. Thank you 

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May at 11:51AM
    Options
    We know the IAS appeals system is a farce, a kangaroo court, and is far from independent, which is why the advice in the sticky Announcement for NEWBIES tells people not to try it.

The gym manager should have complained, not appealed on the keeper's behalf.
    If the gym is part of a chain, then complain to the CEO. You should in any case inform both the manager and CEO that you will be cancelling your membership and going elsewhere because you can't afford the excess charges imposed by an unregulated private parking company on genuine customers.

You should also complain to your MP.

You are now in ignore mode unless you get a Letter of/before Claim or a court claim in the next six years.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • amjidh
    amjidh Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The Gym are sick of them too. The manager said that someone from they gym took them to court and won.
    Wil by stock appeal answer be a good argument to say that my appeal was not taken seriously? 
    And if they do get to court, can i pay in instalments as i am on Universal credit? something like £1.00 a month
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amjidh said:
    And if they do get to court, can i pay in instalments as i am on Universal credit? something like £1.00 a month
    You seem to have overlooked an important step.

Firstly, there has to be a court case.
    Then - the bit you missed - you have to lose that case.
    Only then need you consider how to pay.

You drive a car, attend a gym and yet are on Universal Credit?
    How does all that work?
  • Whatever2023
    Whatever2023 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There should be no surprise that templates are used to respond, a lawyer isn’t going to write a bespoke response for the low £ involved; but that does not mean they haven't considered all the facts.

By your own account you parked in breach of the terms and conditions; therefore, there was only ever going to be one outcome.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who hired the parking company?
    They are jointly and severally liable for the actions of the parking company - is this the gym or a separate landowner ie the gym is on a site with multiple outlets?
     Where is this?

From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Whatever2023
    Whatever2023 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The OP confirmed that a) they were the driver for both visits (not separate drivers as someone has suggested); and b) they failed to register their vehicle so my comments are 100% accurate 🤓
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 May at 5:16PM
    Options
    You won't be paying either of these.  The other victim didn't "take them to court" they just defended a Gladstones claim and won.

As you will too.

Very easy. No risk, as long as you tell PCM and their agents if you move house within 6 years.  You must open ALL letters and come back when you get a solicitor's Letter of/Before Claim.

That's all you need to do.

PLEASE don't tell us about debt collector letters.

We don't need to discuss those. See the 4th post of the NEWBIES thread; no need to give PCM or their debt crawlers the time of day.

DO NOT PAY.  

Did you know PCM were ex-clampers and were outed as rogue traders on Watchdog?

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2015/05/is-it-pcm-uk-who-make-up-stuff-all-time.html?m=1

You don't pay private parking firms, all the time that this rogue industry has engineered it to duck Government regulation.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • amjidh
    First Post
    Options
    Half_way said:
    Who hired the parking company?
    They are jointly and severally liable for the actions of the parking company - is this the gym or a separate landowner ie the gym is on a site with multiple outlets?
     Where is this?

yes, there is a massive Iceland Food Warehouse and there used to b a Scandinavian furniture store, So when i went to check the status of the first ticket, it was because i was nearby. I stopped and asked for an update and also went and got a few Pizzas. ( I recommend Numero Uno Pizzas. They are the best frozen pizzas by far). Then later on i came back to go to the gym properly. i came after 3 hours and they say you cant come back within 4. 
    Surely the land owners want people  to use all the outlets ? 
    All this because i didnt input my reg. if i had them my 45 minute extra would have been kosher.

The address of the gym is
     Retail Park, UNIT 1A & 1B, Manningham Lane, Bradford BD1 3AH
  • amjidh
    First Post
    Options
    nopcns said:
    The OP confirmed that a) they were the driver for both visits (not separate drivers as someone has suggested); and b) they failed to register their vehicle so my comments are 100% accurate 🤓
    The "OP"... why don't you go and snitch your findings to the PPC that you brown-nose to? Oh, sorry, I forgot, you don't actually know who the "OP" really is, do you? Intellectually malnourished or what?

The whole point of raising the "No return within 4 hours" term was to point out how ridiculous that term is when it can only apply to a driver, not a vehicle. Your defence of that term just adds to the evidence that the "intellectually malnourished" intimation is qualified.
    the 4 hour gap is ridiculous. surely these swines have to be reasonable with their rules?
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback