🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My pension lump sum was paid out but not to me

Options
I have been looking into lost pensions and i remembered I had a private pension with a company called NEI Projects around  40 years ago.  When I looked them up on line it seems they have been since taken over by Rolls Royce.  I then remembered that I saw an entry on my personal tax summary some years ago showing as rolls Royce and at the time did not recognise this so I complained to the HMRC that i had never worked for that company and I received a letter of apology back and they seemed to indicater there was a mix up in NI numbers. I have now emailed Rolls Royce with my NI number to query this and the reply was that they contacted me and offered a lump sum and I accepted and this was paid to me on 01/11/2016.  I was never contacted and i have looked at my bank statements from that time and no funds were ever received.  I have now questioned this with them and they have confirmed to me that the funds were not paid to my bank which is barclays and this ids the only account i have ever had, they stated the funds went to a different bank but thwy wou;ld not disclose where.  i have asked for this to be investigated and they said they would send me an email asking for my ID documents but i probably would not receive it until next week as they are very busy however i feel this is a matter of urgency.  Has anyone had this happen or can give any advice on what i should do.

Comments

• bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 May at 2:04PM
    Options
    I dont think waiting a week is unreasonable  for them to investigate what has happened.

If you hadn't looked them up online you would be none the wiser and wouldn't necessarily have been a matter of urgency

• susssy
    susssy Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes i am happy to wait the week I'm just anxious this has happened and wondered if this  happened to anyone else as i am  not sure what could have happened 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May at 8:41PM
    Options
    susssy said:
    yes i am happy to wait the week I'm just anxious this has happened and wondered if this  happened to anyone else as i am  not sure what could have happened 
    Without knowing what's actually happened it's impossible to know if it's happened to anyone else.

If a payment is made without a scheme going through all the necessary checks (and almost by definition that must be the case if a member's benefits are paid to the wrong person), that will be the pension provider's problem, not the member's. They are still entitled to their benefits if these have not been paid to the correct person at the correct time.

In answer to your question as to what you do next, the answer is that you wait (sorry!) and then co-operate fully and promptly with any requests for information, ensuring that any information you send is secure and definitely sent to the right person at the correct address.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not suffered from this issue personally, but this article in Money Mail suggests that some people at Scottish Widows have suffered something similar

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    susssy said:
    Just be aware that pension administrators often work at a very slow pace. With some even getting any kind of response in a month is an achievement.
  • susssy
    susssy Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a response and it looks like my lump sum has been paid to another personwith same name and date of birth they ststed at that time they did not check national insurance numbers
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    susssy said:
    I have had a response and it looks like my lump sum has been paid to another personwith same name and date of birth they ststed at that time they did not check national insurance numbers
    I hope you pointed out that that is their issue and asked when you'll get your lump sum?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    susssy said:
    I hope you pointed out that that is their issue and asked when you'll get your lump sum?
    Indeed! Please update the thread in due course...it would be really good to know your money has landed where it should.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure