PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bamboo auction

Options

Comments

• tommo84
    tommo84 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Honestly, for them to honour the sale. Tired of these corporates making up rules for the little man and making up rules for themselves thinking you haven’t got the means to fight them. Fobbing me off because their interests lie solely with themselves and their clients. They’re not going to give me advice that doesn’t help them. Ultimately, I realise I probably won’t get this outcome. But it’s principle… and hopefully, the agents that these shinanigans go on will be less inclined if they’re challenged more often.
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 3:16PM
    Options
    I noted that the exclusivity period only applies after two actions are completed per R3.1:

1.  The reservation fee is paid - no question, you have done this.
    2.  The reservation form is signed - as far as I can tell, this did not happen.

If there is no exclusivity period, then R3.2 does not apply, so they don't have to abide by clause R3.2(b) which is the bit that says they can't sell to someone else.

As with others - I am not a lawyer.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tommo84 said:
    If there is a solicitor on this forum, or somebody knows someone that can comb over this contract… I’m happy to pay for some legal advice. But time is very much against me.
    many thanks everyone 
    I don't think anybody on here is going to give you legal advice. only their opinion.

You could try posting on Legal Beagles.

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    even if there is a contract the court is extremely unlikely to award what is called 'specific performance' in other words compelling the parties to complete the contract 

what they will do or rather what they are likely to do is if you can show your quantifiable financial losses then they will award them to you

as a simple example - if you find another similar item at another auction which is more expensive than you could claim the difference.
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You should certainly let us know - it will help anyone else with the same question in the future.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was under the impression that the fall of the gavel constituted an exchange of contracts when the reserve had been met - but I am not familiar with modern auctions and whether parties become committed to the transaction at a different point. 

If you had exchanged, it would be unlikely that you’d get the land but instead compensation.

Even if Bamboo turn out to have done nothing wrong, it’s very poor that they haven’t offered a token sum (gesture of goodwill and to cover the loss of interest while the fee was held on your card and earning nothing, and while the money was held by them until the funds cleared back into your account.)
  • BarelySentientAI
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kim_13 said:
    I was under the impression that the fall of the gavel constituted an exchange of contracts when the reserve had been met - but I am not familiar with modern auctions and whether parties become committed to the transaction at a different point. 

If you had exchanged, it would be unlikely that you’d get the land but instead compensation.

Even if Bamboo turn out to have done nothing wrong, it’s very poor that they haven’t offered a token sum (gesture of goodwill and to cover the loss of interest while the fee was held on your card and earning nothing, and while the money was held by them until the funds cleared back into your account.)
    "Modern" auctions say that the winning bidder gets a guaranteed exclusive period of time to exchange on the property at the auction price, and they have to pay a fee for that privilege whether or not the sale actually happens.

It seems the question in this instance is whether that period had started (at the fall of the gavel or taking of the fee) or whether the vendor was still allowed to sell it to someone else (because the paperwork wasn't yet completed).
  • tommo84
    tommo84 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Kim_13
    I totally agree. (Gesture of goodwill). It’s very poor form. Not even an apology.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback