PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bamboo auction

Options
Need some legal advice please.

Today I won some land via Bamboo auction. 

It was a conditional Auction, via modern method. The reserve was met.

the hammer went down, “congratulations” message received and “reservation fee” debited from my account.

went to the estate agents to sign the “reservation agreement” and was informed that the vendor had decided to sell it privately and withdrawn from the sale. 

Bamboo refunded my “reservation fee” and consider the matter closed.

Bamboo informed me that because contracts where not exchanged, it was though titties basically. 

I was under the impression that once they’d taken my “reservation fee” that created a legally binding contract and  only I could withdraw from the sale on the understating I would lose the “reservation fee”

can they do this? If not, what are my next steps? 

Thanks 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What do their auction terms and conditions say?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. 

The terms and conditions on their website seem to only be about using the website. Not the legals of the purchase process .https://www.bambooauctions.com/terms-and-conditions/

Each auction has a reservation contract. Looking at the Reservation Section, it does appear to say that the seller is tied down to selling the property, and is not permitted to sell the property to anyone else during the exclusivity period. See terms R1 to R5 here. 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/bamboo-cdn/docs/reservation-agreement.pdf

It also says that neither the buyer nor the seller can terminate the agreement during the exclusivity period. In several places it mentions R5.3, but I can't see anything there that gives the seller an easy opt-out. 

Given the web address, I expect that this is a standard contract across all of their auctions. But, I haven't confirmed this. 

Just because their terms and conditions seem to preclude the seller just pulling out after a successful auction doesn't mean that is legally enforceable. However, the reservation contract appears, to my inexpert eyes, to make this at least putatively a different situation from the standard 'anything is fair game until contracts are exchanged' situation. 
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think with these modern auctions the seller has to pay a big fee. If maybe they wanted to pull out and paid the fee to Bamboo, then Bamboo would be happy it was a done deal.

• tommo84
    tommo84 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. 
    RHemmings. I am of the same opinion. Their argument is that the reservation agreement wasn’t signed, but their terms state that the reservation period starts the moment the counter hits zero and reservation monies have been deposited. 
    My issue is finding legal representation to even look at this. I’ve contacted around 30 solicitors and none of them are taking on new litigation cases due to work load. So I can’t even pay someone to go through the contract. I’ll post some photos of the reservation agreement specific to this property that came with the legal pack 
  • tommo84
    First Post
    Options
    this is specific to the property I won, found in the legal pack
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as you are aware that any opinions you get here are likely to be layperson's ones which may or may not be correct.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tommo84
    First Post
    Options
    I’ve also had some “off the record” advice to the effect of you won’t be able to enforce the sale, but your are entitled to compensation. But the legal costs and stress won’t be worth it. I disagree, it’s about the principle 
  • tommo84
    First Post
    Options
    The mse forum posted screen shots out of sync. 
    2-4-1-5-3
  • tommo84
    First Post
    Options
    If there is a solicitor on this forum, or somebody knows someone that can comb over this contract… I’m happy to pay for some legal advice. But time is very much against me.
    many thanks everyone 
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You talk of legal action, etc. What are you actually looking for as an outcome to this?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback