PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

May 2024 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Need to update my total. Currently up to £122.13/250.

Meal plan:
    Yesterday chilli con carne - thought I'd have some cream to use up as sour cream, but it was past use. I did however have avocado for the guacamole!
    Today: prawn and broccoli stir fry (will need to soak some chickpeas for tomorrow. Must also freeze the duck to stretch the date on it for Sunday). 
    Wednesday: harissa chicken, houmous, slaw, flatbread 
    Thursday: beetroot and goats cheese risotto ( but I have no risotto rice, so might be a bulgar thing)
    Friday: chicken katsu and rice 
    Saturday: fish, potatoes, peas
    Sunday : roast duck, beetroot, blackberries, roast potatoes. 

Home improvement payments £16.6K to go

June Grocery Challenge: £227.58/250

Decluttering 1244/2024 Awards 🥇
    (15/06/24)
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 May at 11:45PM
    Options
    I spent an eye popping £25.24 in Sainsby's on olive oil, spring onions, fine beans, instant coffee and loo rim block. I know I could do without the loo block but it took me half an hour to clean the accumulated limescale from the pan on Sunday morning which I did not enjoy so I decided to buy the rim block on offer to see if it would help. Then I had to go on to Mark's to get silken tofu and frozen petits pois which came to £3.85.
    The Baking Budget spent £4.25 in Sainsby's on digestive biscuits, unsalted butter and unwaxed lemons and then spent £3.80 in Marks on eggs.

That makes my new total for the main budget £84.16/£150 which is an average daily spend of £6.01
    The Baking Budget now stands at £19.30/£25 which is an average spend of £6.43 per Wednesday.

PS I meant to say that £16.10 of the Sainsby's spend was on the olive oil and I've decided that rather than swapping to a cheaper oil I'm not sure I'll like the taste of, I'll reduce the amount of oil I use in any recipe I make.

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been thrown again. Was expecting DH to be released from hospital on Monday or Tuesday but they discharged him late yesterday. Result was a mad dash to buy lots of tempting light food as he is not hungry and needs to eat. Wizzed round Asda just gravbing things off shelves. No list! Even got to the checkout and had to buy 3 bags! Life has got in the way again! £51.00 spent. 🙁
    @Soontobeoap, hope your DH is recovering well.

I have a couple of spends to declare from yesterday:  £12 in MrT’s on 6x500g packets of bulgar wheat; followed by £5.89 in L!dl on some ice lollies (£1.39) and 2 tubs of their oxy-bleach (we had a 50p-off-per-tub voucher to exploit).  The bulgar wheat will see us through for at least a couple of months; we go through about 2 packs a month.  It’s risen considerably in price - up 60p on a year ago - but I’ve been unable to find anywhere locally that sells it cheaper or in bigger quantities. (We’re in West London.)

Once you take into account £6.11 of shrapnel, transferred to various money boxes, the above brings our total spend for May to £97.80/£160 leaving £62.20 for the rest of the month.

We will have some further shopping to do today in L!dl, mainly on fresh dairy products.  We were out and about yesterday so couldn’t buy anything that needed refrigerating.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 33 spent, 33 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
    11 coupons - Harris Tweed jacket
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bought half a lamb, that was reared here in our village, and had a good life. Paid a little more than normal, but it is once a year
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Soontobeoap
    Soontobeoap Posts: 972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May at 2:38PM
    Options
    Spent £18.00 in m and S. Wouldnt normally shop there but parked in their car park to nip to the chemist quickly. Bought some chocolate mousses to try and get DH eating and a treat wrap for my lunch oh and a reduced apple crumble thing for the freezer. How was that £18.00?

Thank you for kind messages for DH. Gp has now got involved and is doing lots of tests so should know more soon. 
    craft stash 2023 =161 items 2024 = £100.00 /£180. 00 
                     97 made 2 mended

Decluttering challenge 26/150 🥇🥇🥇

GC 2022 = £3154.96 / £3,600
          2023 = £3334. 84/£3200. 
          2024 =. £1508. 57/£3200

Jan £147.95, Feb  £180. 50 March £205.38,  April £434.49 🤯
    May £267. 57 June £270. 68/ £200 
  • veggielove
    veggielove Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all, we are a family of 4. 2 adults 2 kids. Kids are not good eaters and 1 is worse than other (Autism) so I have been spending unlimited amounts( I have no idea how much)  on food and I wasn't able to stick to a much needed budget to get out of debt again. I cant cook for us all. Its me and husband the kids each eat a different meal... No choice in this. 

We are less than a year into being first time home owners. CC debt around 800 and 3 loans totalling around 9000 all in  (1 is zero interest finance loan for a large furniture outlet )

The kids always want magazines( like a fiver a go) and toys at shop and obviously chocolate, meltdown if its a no (it is a no when we are skint weeks ) but I treat them far too much when the money is sitting there.

I have started having the shopping delivered now (usually a Sunday so we have food in for the week) I think a realistic budget will be 130-150 a week for food, toiletries, cleaning etc, nappies too. I always have to do a top up mid week though (bread, snacks, meat or whatever, veg/salad items) 
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent an eye popping £25.24 in Sainsby's on olive oil, spring onions, fine beans, instant coffee and loo rim block. I know I could do without the loo block but it took me half an hour to clean the accumulated limescale from the pan on Sunday morning which I did not enjoy so I decided to buy the rim block on offer to see if it would help. Then I had to go on to Mark's to get silken tofu and frozen petits pois which came to £3.85.
    The Baking Budget spent £4.25 in Sainsby's on digestive biscuits, unsalted butter and unwaxed lemons and then spent £3.80 in Marks on eggs.

That makes my new total for the main budget £84.16/£150 which is an average daily spend of £6.01
    The Baking Budget now stands at £19.30/£25 which is an average spend of £6.43 per Wednesday.

PS I meant to say that £16.10 of the Sainsby's spend was on the olive oil and I've decided that rather than swapping to a cheaper oil I'm not sure I'll like the taste of, I'll reduce the amount of oil I use in any recipe I make.
    I just wanted to mention that citric acid in very hot water instantly removes limescale (eg, lift off cistern lid and pour over the handle mechanism and watch it disappear, to cure a seizing up handle). In a spray bottle it will do the same in the toilet
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • otb666
    otb666 Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @goldfinches After years of trying various cleaning methods for a positively horrendous limescale I now empty the toilet of water using a big sponge and then i have found the pummy stones on a string are soft enough to remove limescale and not damage or mark toilet.  Dont use the normal hard pummy stones they will mark the toilet and remember to remove the limescale otherwise it will just settle on bottom again.  @Suffolk_lass what citrus acid do you use?  I now only have to do this once a fortnight now.  

35k savings no debt
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @Soontobeoap - hope your OH is eating now and that the test results are quick as well as good.
    @Suffolk_lass and @otb666 - thankyou for the helpful tips for limescale removal from the loo, I shall try the citric acid one first because it sounds so much easier to do.
    @veggielove - having deliveries sounds like a good way of avoiding the extra treating and/or meltdowns and I expect you might find it easier to stick to your list when the supermarket aren't using their ways of increasing what you put in the trolley on you too. Like @otb666 I wish I'd spent more time in charity shops and libraries when I was younger but I do agree with her that you're doing a fantastic job at juggling everything for your family.

I'm going to be spending some time in an area of the city I don't usually visit tomorrow morning while I wait for my bicycle to be serviced so I'm looking forward to having a mooch round the three or four asian supermarkets along that road and, if necessary, I shall be assigning my spend to the treats budget rather than the GC one, but we shall see if I can restrain my acquisitive urges or not.  :#

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family