2024 Grocery Challenges Average - 98.67% spend vs Budget
2021 Declutter 369/365 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 🏅🏅🏅
We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
May 2024 Grocery Challenge
Comments
-
I've £12.50 left from last week, which will go into the bulk fund.
Im pleasantly surprised though.
Decluttering campaign 2023
2 🏅🏅 +1 ⭐️ +1🌟
Decluttering campaign 2024
2 🏅🏅 + 1⭐
Decluttering campaign 2025
🏅
Decluttering campaign 2026
+1⭐3 -
Total for last week - £4.99 / £5.00 - phew! :-)
£5 target for this week again.5 -
Morning all, definitely ended up spending more than planned with the hot weather, had big shop delivered last night aswell. I’m going to allow a small fruit allowance to top up at the end of the week and then stretch the shopping a few extra days to make up for the overspending. And I think I’ll do more veg meals next week as I got a joint of pork, 1.6kg chicken breast and burgers this week which took up a chunk of the budget.£219.02/3853
-
A couple of weeks to report for me, 2 big shops and 2 tops ups so not too bad, although today's top-ups of decaf teabags (not available in Lidl) was £4.25!!!!
Looking at my Lidl receipts even for the last last couple of weeks (£73.80 & £64.33), the receipts are not that long! Really seeing the cost increases come through as I am being strict on what I'm buying and it's still adding up. I am however under half with half the month to go. I also made some high protein ice-creams at the weekend (which DD didn't like so just me and DH on those, luckily it's raining again) and I also made some chocolate mousse cake with butternut squash which has been hit and gives a good chocolate hit.
We've a fairly chilled week this week so hoping for some good organisation and no more top ups.Currently £147/£400
Sep Grocery Challenge £340/£350
2026 Grocery Challenge YTD Average £354/£350
2025 Grocery Challenges Average - 104.36% spend vs Budget4 -
@Soontobeoap, I think you should write that last shop off under Medical Expenses rather than Groceries; the words "nourishing" and "nursing" come from the same root. There are times when fretting after every last penny just adds stress you could do without... not advocating anyone should spend more than they have, just that no-one should beat themselves up for spending a little more when it's very clearly called-for for higher reasons.
Says she who's just spent £21 on extra food for an unanticipated family meal, plus general topping-up; a cancelled trip (again) over to DS3's for dinner, plus an unexpected overnight stay (and dinner, naturally) from DD1 have turned my meal plans for the week upside down again... I will count this in, as some of it was actually "bread" for OH, and some's gone into the freezer for another day (pie fish) plus we're going over to DS3's on Wednesday instead, so that's one meal less to cater for. Swings & roundabouts...Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)5 -
£9 spent in Tesco on 2 boxes of own brand cereal, a bag of pears, bag of oranges, a bag of sweet potatoes,a courgette and 3 small bananas.
I still trying to run the freezer down, so will be trying to get minimal freezer stuff unless absolutely necessary.Decluttering campaign 2023
2 🏅🏅 +1 ⭐️ +1🌟
Decluttering campaign 2024
2 🏅🏅 + 1⭐
Decluttering campaign 2025
🏅
Decluttering campaign 2026
+1⭐1 -
Need to update my total. Currently up to £122.13/250.
Meal plan:
Yesterday chilli con carne - thought I'd have some cream to use up as sour cream, but it was past use. I did however have avocado for the guacamole!
Today: prawn and broccoli stir fry (will need to soak some chickpeas for tomorrow. Must also freeze the duck to stretch the date on it for Sunday).
Wednesday: harissa chicken, houmous, slaw, flatbread
Thursday: beetroot and goats cheese risotto ( but I have no risotto rice, so might be a bulgar thing)
Friday: chicken katsu and rice
Saturday: fish, potatoes, peas
Sunday : roast duck, beetroot, blackberries, roast potatoes.
Keep reading books!3 -
I spent an eye popping £25.24 in Sainsby's on olive oil, spring onions, fine beans, instant coffee and loo rim block. I know I could do without the loo block but it took me half an hour to clean the accumulated limescale from the pan on Sunday morning which I did not enjoy so I decided to buy the rim block on offer to see if it would help. Then I had to go on to Mark's to get silken tofu and frozen petits pois which came to £3.85.
The Baking Budget spent £4.25 in Sainsby's on digestive biscuits, unsalted butter and unwaxed lemons and then spent £3.80 in Marks on eggs.
That makes my new total for the main budget £84.16/£150 which is an average daily spend of £6.01.
The Baking Budget now stands at £19.30/£25 which is an average spend of £6.43 per Wednesday.
PS I meant to say that £16.10 of the Sainsby's spend was on the olive oil and I've decided that rather than swapping to a cheaper oil I'm not sure I'll like the taste of, I'll reduce the amount of oil I use in any recipe I make.May No-Spend Days 3
May Grocery Challenge Spend £31.18/£186
May Baking Fund Spend £7.45/£24
May Bulk Buy Fund Spend £18.00/£100
Decluttering 100 items by the end of the month 0/100
Try being A Bit More Nellie4 -
@Soontobeoap, hope your DH is recovering well.Soontobeoap said:I have been thrown again. Was expecting DH to be released from hospital on Monday or Tuesday but they discharged him late yesterday. Result was a mad dash to buy lots of tempting light food as he is not hungry and needs to eat. Wizzed round Asda just gravbing things off shelves. No list! Even got to the checkout and had to buy 3 bags! Life has got in the way again! £51.00 spent. 🙁
I have a couple of spends to declare from yesterday: £12 in MrT’s on 6x500g packets of bulgar wheat; followed by £5.89 in L!dl on some ice lollies (£1.39) and 2 tubs of their oxy-bleach (we had a 50p-off-per-tub voucher to exploit). The bulgar wheat will see us through for at least a couple of months; we go through about 2 packs a month. It’s risen considerably in price - up 60p on a year ago - but I’ve been unable to find anywhere locally that sells it cheaper or in bigger quantities. (We’re in West London.)Once you take into account £6.11 of shrapnel, transferred to various money boxes, the above brings our total spend for May to £97.80/£160 leaving £62.20 for the rest of the month.
We will have some further shopping to do today in L!dl, mainly on fresh dairy products. We were out and about yesterday so couldn’t buy anything that needed refrigerating.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
Bought half a lamb, that was reared here in our village, and had a good life. Paid a little more than normal, but it is once a yearSave £12k in 2026 #2 I have banked £10,373.14 in 8 months, against a £10k target The 2026 Save £12k in 2026 thread is here
OS Grocery Challenge in 2026 I am sticking with a £3000 annual budget for 2026 - currently £1,959.37 to the end of August. This is too high if there is to be anything lovely for Xmas.
I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the grow your own in 2026 discussion thread
My keep within our budget diary is here3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




