Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to have the bike my ex-husband got our son serviced?

Options

Comments

• Nuanced
    Nuanced Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    The bike is your son’s.  If your son doesn’t want the bike anymore his father could help him but he could also get the bike serviced if he wants it done.  Alternatively he could borrow some tools and do it himself if he wanted to. If he doesn’t know how, YouTube knows.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Only in upside down world would it make sense for you to pay to service the bike.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • ClaraSais
    ClaraSais Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I’d be telling the ex “on your bike” or not as the case may be. Agree with others - a gift is a gift.
  • lesleyperry
    Options
    £180 is a bit extreme for a second hand bike anyway, if you have paid more for the upkeep for the bike I would sell it myself and ask your son what he wants to do with the money.
  • Jason9091
    Jason9091 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'd tell him to get stuffed. He sounds like a bit of a prat.
  • ripongrammargirl
    Options
    Your ex is an arrogant piece of work, not surprised he’s an ex. Who does he think he is asking for the bike back? What does he want it for? Got debts he can’t pay?? It was a gift and is the property of your son, not him! If your son does not want it any more it’s up to him what he does with it- scrap for cash, sell etc but whatever he makes belongs to him not your ex. Some people never cease to amaze me with what they think, say or do. Literally, tell him to get on his bike, pedal off and leave your son and his bike alone. 
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    No, no and NO!
  • Southendormargate
    Options
    The whole thing sounds weird. He could have bought a new bike with a warranty for less than £180. It has been badly damaged twice suggesting your son doesn't look after it. Now your ex husband wants to sell it and give the money to your son. How much does he expect to get for a third hand twice wrecked bike? 
  • Namelesselder
    Options
    Like everyone else , I agree your ex has no rights any more; he gave the bike to your son as a gift and can't now ask it for back. And asking you to pay to have it serviced first is a step too far. HIs attitude to this issue seems an irrational position   
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback