PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why would someone accept an offer when another viewing was booked?

Options

Comments

• bobster2
    bobster2 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 April at 5:04PM
    Options
    pjs493 said:

"For the third time"

"You need to wrap your head round"

"move on"

None of these were appropriate comments when i simply asked a question out of curiosity. Your post came across as rather aggressive.
    You said "I still can’t wrap my head around why" so I just meant you do need to do what you said you couldn't do. It's your terminology.
    And "move on" is very common advice on house buying threads on this board - when people get hung up on an issue or a property.
    I'm sorry if you don't like the explanations and advice you're getting. But you've come here for other people's views. Threads where the OP just doesn't acknowledge all the points people are making tend not to go well. So I won't comment again on this one.
    Good luck in your house hunting.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP it would be in your own interest to learn from this rather than treat it as a curiosity question.  You may otherwise find that you lose out on further properties which you may be interested in.  
    As a seller I would add my name to the list of people who have accepted the first viable offer and cancelled further viewings, and as a buyer I would never wait over the weekend for a viewing if it is at all possible to get in earlier.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That other person may also have been a cash buyer  who was ready to proceed but offered on condition it was accepted that day and  the house taken off the market.

We had an offer for one of your houses that cam in ar 9 am and was to be accepted by 12 noon that day.

We ignored it and carried on with viewings, That party subsequently put in the same offer when the sale went to a closing date.

• ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took mine off the market after an offer, with other viewings booked. The buyer was motivated to be in the area for family reasons, had no chain, a mortgage in principle, and upped to over asking price as long as I took it off the market. 

Maybe more importantly, the accepted offer allowed me to be in a stronger position when viewing houses *I* wanted to buy!
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As the house had been on the market for so long, my guess is that having finally recieved an offer they bit the buyer's arm off. After all, if they'd held back for a couple of days to allow you to view there's no guarantee you'd have also made an offer and they'd have potentially lost their buyer. A bird in the hand, etc....

Never mind OP- the house with your name on is out there.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said, thether buyer likely made their offer conditional on no further viewings, and ifthey were proceedable then the sellers may have taken the view that 'abird in the hand is worth two in the bush'.

Last time I moved house, Ihad my original buyre pull out just before we weredue to exchange contracts - I had to putmy house back on the market. There were several viewings booked right away, but the first viewer made an offer at full asking price and I accepted as I didn't want to delay my onward purchase and it was clear both from my conversation and what the agents were able to tell me that the buys were keen to move quickly . It made no sense at all for me to delay on the off chance than one of the later viewers (i) showed up (ii) offered (iii) offered more than the first one (iv) was equally able to move as fast . 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • FlyMeSomewhere79
    FlyMeSomewhere79 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From my own experience of selling a home last year, it was a slow and frustrating market. I had numerous no shows for viewings which is soul destroying, I had one guy book to view three times and fail to show three times, that was us putting the effort into making the house and garden perfect all those times and the agent turning up and wasting their time - we had 3 different no shows in a row at one point too!

At the same time, we were keeping a short list on Rightmove of properties that would suit us and trying to find houses that both my partner and I liked, that was in an area we wanted to live in and didn't need completely modernising was very hard! There was only ever two properties that really rose above the rest, one was sold before we sold ours. So once we got an offer on ours from some FTB's we snapped it up and cancelled another viewing that was booked. Luckily the other house of the only two that really did it for us is where we now live! There's nothing worse than refreshing your Rightmove favourites everyday and dreading finding that your ideal home is now sold. That's why people act fast, if it's took time to get a sale and there's a house you are bursting to put an offer on and don't really have any other suitable houses on the market at that point, you can't afford to sit and wait another day just in case.
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 419 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the additional comments. As of today, the day after I was due to view the house, it is still being marketed by the estate agent as being for sale. It hasn’t been removed from their shop window or website. 
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    Thanks for the additional comments. As of today, the day after I was due to view the house, it is still being marketed by the estate agent as being for sale. It hasn’t been removed from their shop window or website. 
    Not an unusual thing - I'd put that down to EA incompetence rather than an indication that the sale has fallen through.

Would it be harsh to suggest that the fact your still looking indicates you've not moved on? ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback