PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why would someone accept an offer when another viewing was booked?

Options
1235»

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    Thanks for the additional comments. As of today, the day after I was due to view the house, it is still being marketed by the estate agent as being for sale. It hasn’t been removed from their shop window or website. 

I am sure if anyone calls to say 'can i book a viewing' they'll be told it's sold.

Get a friend to do it and find out for yourself.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    Thanks for the additional comments. As of today, the day after I was due to view the house, it is still being marketed by the estate agent as being for sale. It hasn’t been removed from their shop window or website. 
    Not an unusual thing - I'd put that down to EA incompetence rather than an indication that the sale has fallen through.

Would it be harsh to suggest that the fact you’re still looking indicates you've not moved on? ;)
    My sister sent me a link this morning, otherwise I wouldn’t have known. She’d apparently driven past it today and saw the for sale sign and then checked the estate agent’s website. 

I’d already thrown away the brochure when they said an offer had been accepted and removed it from my ‘saved’ houses on various apps. My sister sent me the link because she thought it was a different house new to the market. I told her it was actually the one that had apparently sold last week.
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Move on
    Maybe awaiting verification of buyer funds etc
    I just exchanged on my sale and it took a few days to go off rightmove etc
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pjs493 said:
    Not an unusual thing - I'd put that down to EA incompetence rather than an indication that the sale has fallen through.

Would it be harsh to suggest that the fact your still looking indicates you've not moved on? ;)
    This often happens until the EA has all the details for the Memorandum of Sale.  If either the buyer or seller have not yet located a solicitor it can take a few days sometimes a week.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pjs493 said:

Keeps the pressure up on the potential buyer to get things moving along. 
  • warwick2001
    warwick2001 Posts: 371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a very common sales tactic.

Think if buying a second hand car. You turn up to a car dealership on Tuesday, and view a car. Salesperson says "Like it? Well, I've got someone also very keen, coming tomorrow for a shufty. So, if you want it, need to make an offer now....." You offer, its accepted, and salesperson removes car from sale. Person coming on Wednesday isn't really considered in this transaction, more as a prompt for immediate offer. 

Maybe this scenario played out in regards your situation. Swap out Salesperson for EA. And swap out car dealership for house seller. Certainly not saying this is what happened, but its certainly plausible.
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is a very common sales tactic.

Think if buying a second hand car. You turn up to a car dealership on Tuesday, and view a car. Salesperson says "Like it? Well, I've got someone also very keen, coming tomorrow for a shufty. So, if you want it, need to make an offer now....." You offer, its accepted, and salesperson removes car from sale. Person coming on Wednesday isn't really considered in this transaction, more as a prompt for immediate offer. 

Maybe this scenario played out in regards your situation. Swap out Salesperson for EA. And swap out car dealership for house seller. Certainly not saying this is what happened, but it’s certainly plausible.
    Not a bad analogy, although I’m glad it doesn’t take as long to buy a car as it does a house. The last car I bought was something I needed ASAP after my car of several years had repeated issues and I needed a reliable car. 
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Buyers sometimes make offers that are on the table for only a short period.  They don't want them left on the table so the agent/vendor can say we have already had on offer of x.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My for sale sign was still on the property on the day i was moving out. EAs like to promote their brand as others have said and keeping the sign up and having the house listed in their window is a good tool to pull people in.

'Sorry that house is now SSTC, however we do have similar properties in the area'
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just another vote for the idea that someone who has been trying to sell a house for years might be happy to jump at a good offer and cancel future viewings. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback