PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why would someone accept an offer when another viewing was booked?

Options
pjs493
pjs493 Posts: 334 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper
I got a call today from an estate agent I was due to view a house through on Monday. They called to cancel the viewing because the vendor had accepted an offer. 

I’m a first time buyer who doesn’t need a mortgage and the estate agent knew that. 

So my question is, why would the vendor accept the offer on the table and cancel my viewing? Given that if they waited just a few days they could have potentially had two buyers in a bidding war. 

The house has been on the market for almost two years with successive price reductions every six month or so. Why would someone be in such a rush to sell if it’s been on the market for such a long time and they’ve apparently had a couple of viewings booked in within a week of each other. What could make them so desperate not to wait until I viewed it in Monday? Especially given my strong buying position?

I’m more baffled and curious than anything else. I did ask the agent if they were able to tell me how much the accepted offer was for, but they wouldn’t tell me, even though I suggested I could possibly outbid that if I had the chance to view. 

Comments

• DayDreamerandGeneralWaster
    Options
    It's up to the seller.

Move along.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Happened to me a few weeks ago. Property came on on the Tuesday - I made an appointment for Thursday - got a 'viewing cancellation' text at 9pm the Wednesday night. I called, and they said it was now Sold subject to contract. I would have expected the same as you - but if they vendor had an offer they were happy with from a buyer in a strong position I can understand they'd have taken it. I've since found a better option that's currently progressing towards completion - so I'm not unhappy.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 April at 2:09AM
    Options
    First come, first served, especially if they offered at, or above asking. 

Remember if they didn't accept that other buyer's offer, that buyer could then go and offer somewhere else and get that accepted instead! Then you turn up and decide you don't like it, or put in a low one. 

So just like you might not want to wait to lose out on a property, they may not have wanted to wait and lose out on a very acceptable offer. Especially if they've been struggling to sell for a while. 

"But why not wait just another day?" Well because they might get another viewing booked, and another... etc. 
  • youth_leader
    youth_leader Posts: 2,463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Ah so sorry.  When I was buying I viewed first, and offered full asking.  The EA said the vendor wanted to 'honour' her weekend bookings.  I had to wait until the Monday.  When the EA rang they said the buyer had chosen me because I was a cash buyer - but as the other viewers had also offered asking, she'd like a 'bit more'.  I felt really lucky.

As I wasn't paying stamp duty in 2021 I offered that - another £4K.  Months later when I'd completed I found out all the floors were rotten, costing me every penny of my equity, I didn't feel as lucky she'd 'chosen' me then.
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pjs493 said:

I’m more baffled and curious than anything else. I did ask the agent if they were able to tell me how much the accepted offer was for, but they wouldn’t tell me, even though I suggested I could possibly outbid that if I had the chance to view. 
    You might not outbid though. Why risk a proceedable sale. The vendors themselves might be looking to offer on a property themselves. Which they are unable to do until their property is sold subject to contract. 
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't assume a seller wants to be in the middle of a bidding war. I had a lady knock my door offering 10k more than I'd accepted off somebody else but I wasn't interested.

• pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I get what a lot of people are saying regarding not wanting to sit on an offer. But we’re talking about one working day here. The vendor could have easily asked for that weekend to think things over, allowed me to view on Monday morning as planned, and then made a decision based on whether I put an offer in or not. The estate agent could have even used it as a tool to put pressure on me to make an offer quickly. 

I’m not caught up or emotionally attached to the house, just surprised that after two years on the market the vendor accepted an offer immediately when a second viewing was set up for just days later. Especially as it went for so long without any interest. I get that the other buyer could have also been a cash buyer, but I still can’t wrap my head around why they wouldn’t wait a couple of days to see if they could get a better offer. Most buyers would understand if a vendor asked for a weekend to mull over their offer. The estate agent knew it was well under my budget too so it’s not as if they thought I couldn’t outbid. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback