IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Horizon Parking - Tesco. Appeal?

Options
At our local Tesco a row of car parking spaces had some barriers along the front end (where your front wheels would be) making the spaces a bit short. So to make use of the space safely 2 cars had chosen to park sideways covering 2/3 spaces. Seemed a sensible idea to me so I joined in. Sadly, I got a parking charge notice for 'parking outside a bay'. I spoke to the Tesco manager and he was sympathetic but said he could not do anything. I saw other cars parked in the same manner when I revisited.

If I was to appeal on the grounds that I couldn't park safely within the lines and that this was making good use of the space available would they be sympathetic. I have looked at the signs and one is nowhere near the space and the other you would have to stand in the access road and risk getting knocked down to read it so I could try this angle as well.

Any other thoughts about ways out with Horizon parking?  

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 April at 11:56AM
    Options
    Why would you do that if (as is likely with Horizon) you have 100% win by appealing as registered keeper, as long as you DO NOT say who was driving or 'tell the story'?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 April at 12:00PM
    Options
    DO NOT reveal the identity of the driver. No "I parked..." or "I drove...". Horizon don't usually issue PoFA compliant NtKs so only the driver is liable. The NtK is issued to the keeper. Horizon have no idea who the driver is unless you blab it was you.

The Newbies/FAQ thread is your bible for all the questions you are asking.
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would you do that if (as is likely with Horizon) you have 100% win by appealing as registered keeper, as long as you DO NOT say who was driving or 'tell the story'?
    Because I'm not convinced by these claims? I'd rather pay £40 then risk £70 or worse.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    VXman said:
    Because I'm not convinced by these claims? I'd rather pay £40 then risk £70 or worse.
    But you can't lose.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,079 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 April at 1:05PM
    Options
    VXman said:

Then why have you come here to the best forum for private parking tickets, with regulars (one of which is on the DLUHC committee that the government is consulting) that has helped tens of thousands of people dating back to 2008?
    For reference your quoted excuse above won't even get five seconds of attention before they click to send a template rejection, and you will have thrown away your golden opportunity, but it's up to you, if you have £40 to throw away to help buy a scammer a new BMW go ahead.
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 April at 1:06PM
    Options
    I really don't understand why people come on here, asking for advice and then ignore the advice.

Why would you pay £40 to fund a scam rather than pay nothing. What are you not convinced about?

Horizon have no idea who the driver is unless you blab it. They only know you are the keeper. Only the driver is liable to pay the speculative invoice from the unregulated private parking company. The only way they can hold the keeper liable is if they issue an NtK that complies with the requirements of PoFA. Horizon don't issue NtKs that are PoFA compliant. Ergo, they cannot hold you, the keeper liable unless you blab to them that you were also the driver.

The £30 bribe discount you are fretting about is there to get the low-hanging fruit on the gullible tree to cough up and pay into their scam without them having to lift a finger.

Use the blue appeal template in the Newbies/FAQ thread or simply write the following to appeal with Horizon:
    This is an appeal by the registered keeper - No driver details will be given. Please do NOT try the usual trick of asking for driver details in order to get around the fact your NtK does not comply with PoFA. As there is no keeper liability, therefore, liability cannot flow from the driver to the keeper and so, is an automatic win at POPLA. Please cancel the notice or issue a POPLA code at which point you will auto withdraw.

...or pay the bribe and get marked as a "mug" for future harvesting by the scammers.

• VXman
    VXman Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nopcns said:
    I really don't understand why people come on here, asking for advice and then ignore the advice.

Why would you pay £40 to fund a scam rather than pay nothing. What are you not convinced about?

Horizon have no idea who the driver is unless you blab it. They only know you are the keeper. Only the driver is liable to pay the speculative invoice from the unregulated private parking company. The only way they can hold the keeper liable is if they issue an NtK that complies with the requirements of PoFA. Horizon don't issue NtKs that are PoFA compliant. Ergo, they cannot hold you, the keeper liable unless you blab to them that you were also the driver.

The £30 bribe discount you are fretting about is there to get the low-hanging fruit on the gullible tree to cough up and pay into their scam without them having to lift a finger.

Use the blue appeal template in the Newbies/FAQ thread or simply write the following to appeal with Horizon:
    This is an appeal by the registered keeper - No driver details will be given. Please do NOT try the usual trick of asking for driver details in order to get around the fact your NtK does not comply with PoFA. As there is no keeper liability, therefore, liability cannot flow from the driver to the keeper and so, is an automatic win at POPLA. Please cancel the notice or issue a POPLA code at which point you will auto withdraw.

...or pay the bribe and get marked as a "mug" for future harvesting by the scammers.

OK- because on the face of it I am guilty. I parked outside of the lines and they have proof of me doing it. The signs nearby say I shouldn't do this.

Can you convince me on the driver bit as this is the only part I feel I can use to get around it. How do I know my PCN 'parking charge notice' doesn't comply with the requirements of PoFA? Is my parking charge notice (PCN) not a Notice to Keeper?(NtK)

• Coupon-mad
    edited 15 April at 5:36PM
    Options
    Can you convince me on the driver bit as this is the only part I feel I can use to get around it.  Is my parking charge notice (PCN) not a Notice to Keeper?(NtK)
    Yup: re-read that final sentence.  WHO can they hold liable? You cannot lose at POPLA as long as you don't blab about who was driving.

Such an easy one. Guaranteed win at POPLA.

How do I know my PCN 'parking charge notice' doesn't comply with the requirements of PoFA?

By reading the NEWBIES thread where I explain the POFA & link you to a thread of NTK pictures.  I guess you didn't read that far yet? It's easier than you think! Fully explained with pics.

• pustit
    pustit Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is a Money Saving website.  Follow the advice to save money.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,079 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It quite clearly states as above that they have the right to recover their parking charge amount from the "Driver" how can they do that when they don't know who the driver is?
    You have received a Notice to Keeper, I could have been the "Driver" for all they know, you have an invoice from chancers that make up any old rule and condition to make money out of motorists, they get no other income from Tesco, they want people like you to do things like this they aren't really trying to discourage it at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback