PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does selling online work e.g. Purplebricks?

Options

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Only my personal opinion based on what I've heard of others experiences with Purple Bricks, but if I was looking to buy I don't think I'd consider even viewing any property that had them as the agent.  
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    I bought off Purple Bricks. It took about a year which was ok as I was a FTB and my vendor was moving in with his partner. I don’t think he was so pleased! I think the main issue is that he used their solicitor as well and they were hopeless.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Might a traditional auction be a better option? Have to say that if two local EAs have failed to attract a buyer I doubt PB or similar will result in much interest either.
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Many buyers get put off from properties being sold on PBs so you are likely to get a smaller number of interested buyers.
    Price or property condition/location etc is the factor here, not which EA you use.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,073 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My son bought through an online estate agency called Yopa. The agent was actually quite good, introducing my son to his eventual property by following up on an unsuccessful viewing by suggesting a flat in a neighbouring area that my son hadn’t considered.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • FlyMeSomewhere79
    FlyMeSomewhere79 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Purple bricks have unbelievably bad reviews, they fail to organise viewings and god knows what else, don't go near them!! 
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    After using pb, dont believe all the hype
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Purple Bricks offer a range of services. There is a basic do most of the work yourself service which is free. If you are up for that, then it's a good way to get your property marketed. AFAIK, you take all the photos, do the write up, and all the viewings are arranged through the app and you do the viewings. The only problem I found with PB is that to arrange a viewing the potential buyer has to set up a PB account, which for someone trawling through the Right Move pages, might be too much of a faff. I've viewed one PB property previously, and I avoid them now unless it is an exceptional property (not happened yet). As with most EA's you find the best solicitor for you and don't necessarily use their recommended one.

OP - are you getting viewings? If you are getting viewings and no sales, then it might suggest the price is okay but maybe the reality doesn't match the online listing. If no viewings, then the people you are marketing it to aren't seeing it as suitable. My advice - do what work you can to improve the property - tart it up or spend money - then remarket.
  • RSTime
    RSTime Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @silvercar suggest they look at NW2 5BU  :)
  • ReadySteadyPop
    ReadySteadyPop Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RSTime said:
    We have had to move my mum into care and are selling her home. Her house in London needs considerable renovation (not been touched for over 40 years) and we have dropped the price to reflect this, however, after trying two estate agents we have not sold the house. We have had some negative feedback concerning our current estate agent (apparently they have been negative about the property in a viewing) and I am looking at other options. 

Does online selling work, any issues I need to be aware of?

I would plan to move into my mum's house for a while to conduct viewings. I would welcome the experience of others who have gone this route. Purplebricks is the only company I am familiar with, are they still the market leaders?

On a separate note, is the market really slow in (North West) London, I understand developers are not active due to high interest rates and people are struggling to get mortgages?

I believe PB went bust recently and got taken over by another company? Houses were selling themselves when interest rates were zero, now it is more tricky, all PB offer is a known name with a web space to display your property, they are not going to do any graft to sell it from what I hear, they make their money from fees to advertise not from actually selling. As other posters have said, if you have no offers the house isn`t priced correctly, unless demand in your area is way down? The EA may think that the price takes into account work needing done, but for people buying it seems it may not?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback