PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does selling online work e.g. Purplebricks?

Options
We have had to move my mum into care and are selling her home. Her house in London needs considerable renovation (not been touched for over 40 years) and we have dropped the price to reflect this, however, after trying two estate agents we have not sold the house. We have had some negative feedback concerning our current estate agent (apparently they have been negative about the property in a viewing) and I am looking at other options. 

Does online selling work, any issues I need to be aware of?

I would plan to move into my mum's house for a while to conduct viewings. I would welcome the experience of others who have gone this route. Purplebricks is the only company I am familiar with, are they still the market leaders?

On a separate note, is the market really slow in (North West) London, I understand developers are not active due to high interest rates and people are struggling to get mortgages?

Comments

• jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    2 EAs, 8-12 weeks each? One price drop? Sounds like whilst the second EA may be negative, the price expectation is possibly more of an issue.

2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They are not miracle workers so I would say if you can't shift it with 2 EA then you won't magically do so listing it with PB. 
    PB in my opinion is a glorified notice board. I don't think they do anything for the money they charge, and you are better off listing it for free with strike or paying someone like 99 homes for the same service at a fraction of the price. 
    In this case though, it's probably the price that's the issue if it's not shifting.
  • RSTime
    RSTime Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 EAs, 8-12 weeks each? One price drop? Sounds like whilst the second EA may be negative, the price expectation is possibly more of an issue.

We have dropped the price several times (significantly) and it really is good value now. Even with costs of modernisation it represents good value. 
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    edited 14 April at 7:58AM
    Options
    RSTime said:

We have had some negative feedback concerning our current estate agent (apparently they have been negative about the property in a viewing) and I am looking at other options. 

Hmmm... so who told you that? Was it somebody with an ulterior motive for saying that? 

Estate agents get paid if/when a property sells. So it's highly unlikely that they would say negative things that would reduce the chances of the property selling.

(And it depends what you believe the estate agent said. The law says that they are not allowed to make misleading statements. For example, if there is a problem with the house, they shouldn't be denying that the problem exists.)

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    edited 14 April at 8:05AM
    Options
    An EA has no interest in stalling a house sale, or putting buyers off.
    Yes, you do sometimes have a naive 'negotiator', or sometimes just a lowly-paid viewing droid who will be too, um, honest, and I suspect that usually doesn't help to sell a property. But that will come down to the individual buyer, and in your case it probably consists of folks who already know the place needs updating, and who are looking for a 'bargain'.
    That is different to folk who expect to move in to their dream home.
    It may be reverse psychology. I've experienced both types with mil's purchase a few years back, a retirement bungalow that needed extensive decorating, but which was in sound condition. There was an amusingly 'blunt' EA on one viewing who actually pointed out every flaw they could see, and another who tried to put a gloss on everything; "Oh, a lick of paint will soon have...".
    No idea if this put other potential buyers off, but 'Mr Negative' only helped to make me feel more keen that mil should go for it, because it gave the feeling that there could be a bargain in the offing!
    In reality, I doubt very much It made any difference whatsoever.
    For some buyers, there's no point in horse-pooing, as it might make them think that the seller isn't realistic of the true condition of the house, so barely worth pursuing. 
    People looking at your mum's house will be looking for a 'bargain'.
    Effective EAs will play the game, and will try and judge the best way to encourage each buyer. Their approach will likely vary with the buyer. A 'negative' could be a ploy.
  • RSTime
    RSTime Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am aware of the valuation and what buyers are looking for. My question is about online estate agents, I don't really want to go into the realm of our estate agents, I think you would be quite shocked but it is not the purpose of my posting. Thanks.

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    edited 14 April at 8:47AM
    Options
    RSTime said:
    I am aware of the valuation and what buyers are looking for. My question is about online estate agents, I don't really want to go into the realm of our estate agents, I think you would be quite shocked but it is not the purpose of my posting. Thanks.

It sounds like you have a 'difficult to sell' property that requires renovation, and maybe limited property information available for the contract. I'd say that's not the kind of property to sell through an online agent.

That's the kind of sale that might need a lot of effort from an experienced, professional, estate agent.

When I bought a 'difficult' property requiring renovation, it took 9 months of effort (and negotiation) via the estate agent to get it to exchange of contracts.

Similarly when I sold a difficult property to a BTL investor, fortunately I was using a very 'assertive' estate agent, who got me a great price, and consistently pushed back on the buyers demands.

But online agents might be OK for selling standard properties (to rational buyers), that will sail through conveyancing with no problems.

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,359 Forumite
    Options
    RSTime said:

In answer to your question, yes you can sell with online agents - I bought mine through PB and I sold mine with 99 Homes. 
    You are required though to be confident dealing with the other party and appreciate it might not be as easy as using an actual agent for the sales progression, because you end up doing lots yourself. 

PB honestly don't want to know as soon as they have a sale agreed and didn't properly verify us as buyers. I wouldn't choose them if you went online only because I don't think it's value for money. 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 April at 8:56AM
    Options
    I would think, with a property that needs major renovation, an established estate agent may have more people on their books who may be interested in the right opportunity. Whereas the online estate agents rely on actively looking movers who are constantly scrolling Rightmove.

That said, I know of a few first time buyers searching for property in NW London who are wanting something that they could improve over the years, rather than buy now and have to move again in a few years time. They say there isn’t much on the market.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Purplebricks was sold not that long ago for all of £1, partial answer to your question.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback