PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

It’s back up

Options
So we put an offer on a property a couple of months ago. It was accepted but the vendors wanted to continue viewing the property. We said no - not happy with this. They conceded and we proceeded with the sale.
cut to today….buying process is still ongoing. On to the legal side of stuff now. Lots of stuff to read through and in regular contact with the conveyancer. However we have noticed just by chance, the property has popped back up on the property sites again. Under two different EA’s. 
We have invested time and money and a lot of effort. We’re first time buyers and full time workers. This is taking up a lot of time and stress in our lives. Completely out of our comfort zone with the whole process so we’re looking forward to it all leading to somewhere. But seeing the property back up on the market when they agreed to take it down has just made me lose confidence and I feel like backing completely out. Feel terrible for waisting everyone’s time as everyone apart from the sellers have been supportive and helpful. And we don’t want to just jump back straight into going after another property. Just not got the energy after all this. 

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April at 2:59AM
    Options
    In your situation, I wouldn't back out. If you're at the point of backing out, then you have nothing to lose, and therefore are free to do what you want. 

In your situation, if I had mentally decided that I can't be bothered with these vendors, I would reduce my offer due to them not keeping to the agreement. And say that no further work will be done in connection with the property until it's fully off the market. And that you are already looking for other properties (and do it, seriously). 

It will probably have the same effect as you just backing out. But, it could also end up with you getting the same property for less money. With a degree of satisfaction that you showed those vendors who is boss. 
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it up for sale with the same EA? Was it a multi agent sale in the first place? If it was, then the other EAs will keep it on the market but not entertain viewings. Just ensures that they can go straight for sale if you sale falls through 
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you still want this property?

If you do not, just walk away.

If you do want the property, I would not take the "show them who is boss" approach, nor start anything confrontational about reduced price etc.

Two months and not yet exchanged, though you are FTB.  What have you been doing to progress the purchase?  I bought my first house from offer, exchange and completion in 4 weeks, 3 of which I was out of the country. 

You don't need to tell this forum what you have done, but I would suggest visiting the EA and, in a very friendly way, say you were surprised to see the property listed for sale again.  Take with you details of what you have done and the timescale for getting the rest done and your target for when you expect to be able to exchange.
    If that target is not this week, then the vendors might be realistic in their assessment that you are not proceedable and the re-marketing might be their only option.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skiddaw1 said:
    You really expect them to be on the point of exchange after two months??? With all due respect I think that's a bit on the unrealistic side even if they are FTBs. Fair play that you managed to get through the process in 4 weeks but IME that's most unusual. Our previous sale/purchase took 6 months despite our buyers being FTBs and our purchase having no ongoing chain.
    Thank you - it is good for the OP to have all experiences shared.  Mine is different to yours, for simple FTB purchase with no chain, you and I may be at the opposite ends of the time range.

My advice to the OP remains the same.  If they want the property, visit the EA for a friendly chat to demonstrate their commitment to the property and the next steps.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April at 5:57PM
    Options
    martindow said:
    It could be worth getting a friend to call the agents to enquire about the house…
    … and then 1; get friend to view it, and put in an offer £35k under yours…

… or 2; you could do that yourself via one of the other agents and offer 50p more than your accepted offer so the vendor ends up having to pay EA fees twice as both agents have “introduced “ the buyer

… or 3; wear a wig and false mustach, adopt a false name and do 2, above via your existing agent to see if it’s really still on the market…

or maybe just chill, get on with the purchase and buy the house at the price you were happy to offer as you’re two months ahead of any other prospective buyers…

if it’s meant to be, it will be yours (fate and chance have played a big role in every one of our last 8-10 purchases   
    But, EAs; Doncha hate ‘em?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexMac said:
    martindow said:
    It could be worth getting a friend to call the agents to enquire about the house…
    … and then 1; get friend to view it, and put in an offer £35k under yours…

… or 2; you could do that yourself via one of the other agents and offer 50p more than your accepted offer so the vendor ends up having to pay EA fees twice as both agents have “introduced “ the buyer

… or 3; wear a wig and false mustach, adopt a false name and do 2, above via your existing agent to see if it’s really still on the market…

or maybe just chill, get on with the purchase and buy the house at the price you were happy to offer as you’re two months ahead of any other prospective buyers…

if it’s meant to be, it will be yours (fate and chance have played a big role in every one of our last 8-10 purchases   
    But, EAs; Doncha hate ‘em?
    The second EA can’t introduce someone who has already been introduced. Think about what the word means.

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback