PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

It’s back up

Options
13»

Comments

• FlyMeSomewhere79
    FlyMeSomewhere79 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    macman said:
    It's very simple, tell them that if it is not taken down again in a reasonable period (maybe 48 hours) then your offer is withdrawn. 
    It is worth remembering that nothing is binding until exchange: around 40% of accepted offers never proceed to completion. 2 months in is far too soon to be getting impatient. If you are not comfortable with that, then buying your own house may not be the right option for you.
    You don't seem to understand the issue, if the property is still being marketed, the OP could get a call at any time to say they've been gazumped despite being two months into the process and the solicitors already carrying out work.

• Blotto17
    Blotto17 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We’re contracted until end of July. From then the minimum we can renew for is 6 months 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can move onto a rolling periodic so don't worry about signing up for 6 months.

But you obviously need to be comfortable in doing so. Don't give notice until way later into the buying process (exchange or beyond). 

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, unfortunately the buying and selling system in England is pretty poor. Does sound like the sellers are playing some silly game to get more money, but it's basically a cut your losses or plough on option. As above, I'd speak to the EA and your solicitor and see what's going on.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP, unfortunately the buying and selling system in England is pretty poor. Does sound like the sellers are playing some silly game to get more money, but it's basically a cut your losses or plough on option. As above, I'd speak to the EA and your solicitor and see what's going on.
    The sellers are not necessarily looking for more money. They may just want a backup buyer in case the OP drops out. Or, it may be the EAs continuing to list the property but not offering viewings.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    edited 15 April at 9:09AM
    Options
    Blotto17 said:
    We’re contracted until end of July. From then the minimum we can renew for is 6 months 
    If you choose not to sign a new contract you automatically go to a monthly rolling contract. Only ever give in notice after exchange
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • nicmyles
    nicmyles Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 15 April at 9:50AM
    Options
    a) Do not give notice on your tenancy until you've exchanged. Do not sign up to a further fixed-term tenancy.
    b) Contact the EA and your vendor via your solicitor and tell them nothing further will be progressed from your side with the sale until the listing is removed. Remind them ceasing marketing was a condition of your offer and they are jeopardising their sale with you. 
    c) If they will not remove the listing, do no further work/spend no more money on the transaction. Tell your solicitor to mothball it and do no more chargeable work until further notice (they may ask you to settle up for work done to date or may not).
    d) Look at other properties. If they come back to you at some point cap in hand and you're still in the market for a property, you may want to pick the transaction up again, or trust may be too broken for you to want to do business with them.

A lot depends on how much you want the house and how easily you can find an alternative.

That's all you need to do. I'd say there's a better than 50-50 chance the re-listing is a mistake/miscommunication (do they want to sell?! are they stupid?!). If they are really remarketing, they have in effect declined your offer, which was contingent on exclusivity.
  • newsgroupmonkey_
    newsgroupmonkey_ Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do you still want this property?

If you do not, just walk away.

If you do want the property, I would not take the "show them who is boss" approach, nor start anything confrontational about reduced price etc.

Two months and not yet exchanged, though you are FTB.  What have you been doing to progress the purchase?  I bought my first house from offer, exchange and completion in 4 weeks, 3 of which I was out of the country. 

You don't need to tell this forum what you have done, but I would suggest visiting the EA and, in a very friendly way, say you were surprised to see the property listed for sale again.  Take with you details of what you have done and the timescale for getting the rest done and your target for when you expect to be able to exchange.
    If that target is not this week, then the vendors might be realistic in their assessment that you are not proceedable and the re-marketing might be their only option.

I'm not sure when you did your purchase, but having bought 2 properties in 3 years, the first as a FTB, I can tell you that it generally takes considerably longer than 4 weeks with a mortgage.

Our first, pre-covid, we were told to "fast track". Offer in September, moved in January 2020. Our second, offer made in April, moved in September. Our buyer was a cash purchase and we bought with no onward chain, so again, nothing to hold the purchase or sale up.

At the moment, for a FTB, the average is 12-16 weeks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback