PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

It’s back up

Options

Comments

• dander
    dander Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would definitely call the agent and ask what's going on. It's the only way you'll know. If it has happened with two agents, it doesn't sound accidental. Definitely also contact your solicitor and explain what's happened, ask tjhem to stop work until this is sorted - you don't want to incur any further expense if the sellers have stopped the sale process. Don't feel bad about wasting anybody's time, this is the sellers that are wasting people's time, not you.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 April at 7:02PM
    Options
    Where are you with the purchase? Did you obtain the mortgage promptly?  Takes two to tango. 
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    The second EA can’t introduce someone who has already been introduced. Think about what the word means.

Irony bypass?  The key words were chill (and carry on)  The OP will get their dream in they patiently persist.  And if they lose it, (unlikey though thet is)  that's Kharma
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, the OP posted in the early hours of this morning - stated this is taking a lot of their time and effort.
    The advice was to speak with the EA, or test the availability via a contact to one of the alternative EA's listing the property.
    Today is Saturday.  I wonder whether the OP found the time to make the effort to speak with the EA.  They may be far more at ease by now.
  • kjs31
    kjs31 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I find that EAs play the system quite a bit so I wouldn’t worry too much until you’ve spoken to them. I have recently exchanged contracts on a house. It wasn’t listed as I was interested in it last year, the sellers weren’t ready to move at that point and withdrew it from the market, and when they wanted to sell again in February it got offered to me directly by the EA without going back on the market. Easy sale for him. As soon as I exchanged contracts the EA listed it for sale. It’s on Rightmove, Zoopla etc. No idea what he has to gain from this other than to advertise his agency. I complete in 2 weeks. Will be interesting to see if it’s updated to ‘sold’ at that point … 
  • Blotto17
    Blotto17 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April at 2:41AM
    Options

OP here. Made a phonecall to one of the EA’s today enquiring about the flat. They said it was sold STC previously but now that has fallen through. News to me!

Also seen it advertised with the EA we are dealing with ourselves! Tried to ring them but no answer. Will have to wait till Monday. 

When it was originally advertised it was looking for a figure (which we offered a little under and it was accepted). Now it’s looking for offers over that same figure. Why did the sellers accept our offer back then when they obviously were not happy with it.

They tried to sell us the furniture which is currently in the flat also (for an extortionate amount, considering it’s second-hand) We politely declined.  

We are nervous about handing in our notice to the flat we are currently renting only for these sellers to go with a higher offer which they obviously seem to be chasing. 

They’ve done this before straight after accepting our offer and we said we wouldn’t proceed until the flat was taken off all sites. They were removed one by one. Yet here we are again a couple of months later. 

And for anyone wondering about the timescale of this purchase. We are doing everything as fast as we can. Every time we are asked to do something by the conveyance, broker, EA -  we do it. And reach out for a catch up if we don’t hear from them for a few days. Not sure what else we can do.

I work nights so this is the time I try and read up on everything and post on here or whatever. Then I do phone calls or whatever needs doing in the morning before bed. 

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the wise thing would be to message your conveyancer to advise them that the property appears to have been re-marketed and you have been advised by one of the EAs that the sale has fallen through.  Ask for an update and make clear that you are still intending to proceed.

Then also speak with the EA through whom the purchase has been agreed and set out the steps you have taken,  demonstrate how invested you are in the property, and the remaining steps and timelines you think they will be.

What have you done so far?
    What timeline do you realistically expect to reach Exchange?

I know you are saying you are "doing everything as fast as we can", but the sentence before that does indicate you are operating in a bit of an ideal world:
    Blotto17 said:

They’ve done this before straight after accepting our offer and we said we wouldn’t proceed until the flat was taken off all sites. They were removed one by one. Yet here we are again a couple of months later. 

EAs only take properties off the listing sites slowly and, even once the "remove" request is submitted, the actual listing sites only update slowly.  That can easily take a few weeks to clear all the history across the various sites.  If you really waited for the property to clear from all the sites, that may have been interpretated by the vendor as lack of commitment.

Your choice now is to either walk away, or demonstrate the commitment you have to the property.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexMac said:
    GDB2222 said:
    The second EA can’t introduce someone who has already been introduced. Think about what the word means.

Irony bypass?  The key words were chill (and carry on)  The OP will get their dream in they patiently persist.  And if they lose it, (unlikey though thet is)  that's Kharma
    Indeed, the irony whooshed past me. Sadly, there are posters on the forum who write stuff like that and mean it. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's very simple, tell them that if it is not taken down again in a reasonable period (maybe 48 hours) then your offer is withdrawn. 
    It is worth remembering that nothing is binding until exchange: around 40% of accepted offers never proceed to completion. 2 months in is far too soon to be getting impatient. If you are not comfortable with that, then buying your own house may not be the right option for you.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Blotto17
    Blotto17 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn’t say I’m getting impatient. I just feel why accept my offer if they do not wish to proceed with me. The EA whom both of us are in regular contact with knows I’m continuously working towards completion of the sale. Is it too much to ask for them to stick with my offer to completion or at least let me know if they are not happy with it/me anymore rather putting it back up for the highest bidder again and I only get to find out by chance. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback