PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

For what reasons do people buy woodland?

Options

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,170 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March at 10:19PM
    Options
    Once saw a programme about someone that had bought a small area of woodland simply to enjoy it - they could go to it anytime, walk, they’d built a little hut in which they could hang out when the weather was a bit indifferent. Sounded wonderful. 
    Apart from that, I believe there were tax incentives available many years ago 
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd love to buy woodland one day. The dream would be to own a house with land and its own woodland but they're fewer and further between and obviously generally come with a hefty price tag. But a little bit of my own woodland in which to camp and generally spend time amongst the trees would be lovely.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brie said:
    To stop development?
    If the land has any real potential for development, I very much doubt they'd be flogging off portions of it to the gullible investors.
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone I know has bought some similar land , put up secure fencing and uses it as a safe place to visit to allow their (several) dogs roam freely and safely. They also take their caravan there occaisionally for holidays . I believe there are rules about length of stay but up to 28 days is allowed .
    Rules around staying on your own land??
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    BobT36 said:
    Someone I know has bought some similar land , put up secure fencing and uses it as a safe place to visit to allow their (several) dogs roam freely and safely. They also take their caravan there occaisionally for holidays . I believe there are rules about length of stay but up to 28 days is allowed .
    Rules around staying on your own land??
    If the land doesn’t have planning permission for residential use, of course.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March at 7:26AM
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted here. Very interesting conversation with a number of points that I didn't expect. I'm currently in a hotel waiting for a flight but I will catch up with a proper response once in a more stable situation. 

Just some quick replies:

I also have had a pipe-dream to have such a bit of land, particularly with a proper stream running through it with wildlife. But, the reality gets in the way. 

In my dream I wouldn't fence it off but would leave it accessible for everyone. But, again, the reality of liability raises its head (as it has before.) In reality I'm probably much better off contributing time and financial support to publicly managed land. I don't really want exclusivity. Being able to camp in a bit of land would be nice - campsites aren't so wild though I wonder if I search if I'll find something. 

As I live in a built-up area, I'm not sure I could burn wood from such a piece of land. Though, being self-sufficient for warmth would be something that I would greatly appreciate. Great to hear of @Dustyevsky's ownership of a piece of land and the use thereof. 

Stopping development is something I could appreciate, and when I considered (more seriously, but it doesn't work out) buying a small parcel of land within the city bounds, that was on my mind. But, again, perhaps the better way forward is to selectively embrace NIMBYism. 

Again, shooting rights is something I never thought of. Not the kind of thing I would do. 
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    In my dream I wouldn't fence it off but would leave it accessible for everyone.
    A noble gesture but I suspect you would quickly change your mind once the reality kicks in that "everyone" will not treat your woodland with the same respect that you or I would

RHemmings said:
    Again, shooting rights is something I never thought of. Not the kind of thing I would do. 
    We also have a stream running through our woodland and riparian rights mean you can exclusively fish there if shooting isn't your thing. Similarly seeing a kingfisher or otter appear on your own private stretch of water takes some beating, especially on the even rarer occasions when they appear with their babies.
    As @oystercatcher mentioned, if you have dogs they will absolutely love exploring woodland particularly as they can roam free without being on a lead, it's even more exciting for them if you have squirrels residing there.
    There's a good amount of open access woodland in my part of the country. There isn't anything to attract casual users, and those who use the woods generally treat them with respect. We rarely see any litter. The worst thing, from a walker's POV, is unauthorised horse riders churning-up paths in winter.
    Sadly, our stream is only small and dries up in summer, but I've access to a river where otters live. A recent introduction of beavers was totally inappropriate, however, as they're too far downstream and their dams would be more useful in the headwaters. We've also discovered they have a liking for apple wood; something a landowner with a riverside orchard had come to regret!

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” Aldous Huxley
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Google search of "tax advantages of woodland" gives you your answer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts