PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

For what reasons do people buy woodland?

Options
RHemmings
RHemmings Posts: 3,679 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
What would be the main reasons or motivations for people who buy woodlands? E.g. the parcels of land sold on this site: 

https://www.woods4sale.co.uk/woodlands/south-west-england/2207.htm

If anyone here has or does own such a piece of land, I'd really like to hear of your experiences and what you got out of owning land like that. And, I mean 'what you got out of owning' in a very broad sense, not limiting it to any one kind of benefit. 

Note: My question isn't rhetorical at all. I'd like to know why people buy land like this. Note also that I'm not thinking of buying one myself. After looking into smaller pieces of land within city limits, I decided that the responsibility of owning such a bit of land is too much for me. A bigger bit of land further out - even more so. 

The above listing mentions harvesting the wood, but are these lands only bought for the wood growing there? 

This website seems to advertise buying woodlands as a way to get in touch with nature, with investment only mentioned down the bottom. https://www.woodlands.co.uk/why-buy-a-woodland/  This newspaper article also focusses on the getting back to nature aspect. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/bought-woodland-worth-it-made-me-happy-nature/

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iirc no inheritance tax, possibly other tax fiddles
  • RHemmings
    edited 30 March at 8:10PM
    Options
    iirc no inheritance tax, possibly other tax fiddles
    That's one I wasn't expecting! Of course, that may just show that I'm naive. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this another "discussion time" question or do you actually have a specific question where you are actually looking for advice?
    What is that specific question?
  • RHemmings
    Options
    Is this another "discussion time" question or do you actually have a specific question where you are actually looking for advice?
    As per my original post, I'm not thinking of doing this myself. I'm just curious. 'Discussion time' is a reasonable description. I'm happy to read whatever people post in response. 
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 March at 8:16PM
    Options
    If it was cheap enough and close enough I would buy some woodland just to ensure a supply of wood for my WBS.  I would not need much, management of the trees we have in the garden meets most of our needs.

Edge of village location has the slim possibility if you could clear a corner of it, you might, just might, one day, get planning to build a house on it.
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    What would be the main reasons or motivations for people who buy woodlands? E.g. the parcels of land sold on this site: 

"Mid-rotation Douglas fir" = commercial woodland, being grown with the intention of (ultimately) felling it for timber.

Larger areas of woodland in more isolated locations are often bought/sold for the shooting rights.

And as artfull says, sometimes woodland is acquired for financial chicanery reasons.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    As per my original post, I'm not thinking of doing this myself. I'm just curious. 'Discussion time' is a reasonable description. I'm happy to read whatever people post in response. 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6282204/discussion-time
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,433 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    To stop development??  Buy some random unconnected patches and make a nuisance of yourself!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've always fancied owning some but I've no idea why.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback