Electricity/Storage Heater

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Washing machines aren't too bad for once/twice a week - just use the cool washes.    Keep those showers short
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:
    Washing machines aren't too bad for once/twice a week - just use the cool washes.    Keep those showers short
    Even if they go on 3 hours like mine hahahaha
    Your washing machine should have several programmes of different times for different types of washing (mine has and it's ancient).

If you take a photo of the dial we might be able to help. It'll save you time waiting for your washing to finish! 🤣
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:
    I’m gonna fix my energy with edf at £55 a month but I need to pay off Scottish power first even tho I never chose them!
    It is not a fixed price use all you like. The £55 will be based on assumed usage. Use more it will cost more, use less it will cost less.
    It is only the kWh unit price that is fixed.
    Life in the slow lane
  • vienna28
    vienna28 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lozzzi your storage heaters are the radiator type heating in maybe your living room and bedroom.

Any photographs of them with any dials on them or switches next to them?
  • lozzzi
    lozzzi Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    vienna28 said:
    Lozzzi your storage heaters are the radiator type heating in maybe your living room and bedroom.

Any photographs of them with any dials on them or switches next to them?
    Yeah it threw me off with it says storage heater not radiator! Only took me 3 hours 😭🤣
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    lozzzi said:

maman said:
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:
    Your washing machine should have several programmes of different times for different types of washing (mine has and it's ancient).

If you take a photo of the dial we might be able to help. It'll save you time waiting for your washing to finish! 🤣
    I attached! The circled is the one I used, I don’t like the express it doesn’t wash properly 
    That's good.
    Eco 40-60 takes a long time because it lets the laundry soak, so the detergent can do its job.
    But it uses relatively little electricity while doing so.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • lozzzi
    lozzzi Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    QrizB said:
    lozzzi said:

maman said:
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:

I attached! The circled is the one I used, I don’t like the express it doesn’t wash properly 
    That's good.
    Eco 40-60 takes a long time because it lets the laundry soak, so the detergent can do its job.
    But it uses relatively little electricity while doing so.
    Ohh I thought because it was taking so long it was burning money - good to know!!
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March at 10:50PM
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    That meter reads 1154 -  what did it read when you moved in ?

It was made in 2021 so is 3 years old so approx 4000 units a year  - that will cost you about £1000 a year - about £80 a month. That is very typical of an electrically heated flat.
    Nope.  The meter was manufactured in September 2021 but that's unlikely to be the installation date.  The immersion heater appears to be dated/4/4/22 so the usage may not even be two full years.
    The recorded usage seems very low for an all-electric flat.  The meter is missing its lower security seal so it would be wise for the OP to report this to avoid any suspicion of tampering and energy theft.
    It might be worth having a single rate tariff during the summer and changing to Economy 7 around October.
    Thw washing cycle of the washer/dryer won't use much, it'll be the dryer that clocks up the kWh.  It'll be cheaper during the E7 cheap rate but it's unwise to use it unattended, especially when asleep.
  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    You said you don't cook so I'll skip that.
    Everything that you have in your house uses little of electricity - washing machine, dishwasher about £1 per run. The items that use the most are various heaters - shower, or simply house heaters. The water heater looks new - so it should be ok..

You still haven't showed us any photos of your radiators? The sticker on fuse box says storage heater - but do you actually have them? When they are configured incorrectly they can cost a lot.

Do the following:
    1) Understand if you are on a E7 tariff (cheap at night 0-7am and little more expensive during the day). Call you energy provider to find out.
    2) Do you have a smart meter? As well as little screen in the kitchen showing you how much you have used?
    3) if you keep everything on, how much does the meter go up during 24h (if you are on E7 tariff I think you should see two different readings on that white meter you showed us, it will move between them).
    4) if you switch off the storage heaters - how much does the meter go up in 24h?
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    edited 19 March at 6:03AM
    Options
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:
    I’m gonna fix my energy with edf at £55 a month but I need to pay off Scottish power first even tho I never chose them!

SP // EDF ?
    SP will be your deemed supplier if previous occupant was with them.  You don't get to choose that - it just happens that way.
    You stay with them until you request your new chosen supplier to move that account over (some folk do this almost immediately - others leave it a few weeks while sort other things on moving in. There is no time limit / set date - just make sure you don't enter a fixed term plan with SP when you contact them - as it could be pushed as normally priced cheaper - if you want to move - on a short term let they may not be suitable anyways.)
    You have to register with SP - giving them move in readings - and then contact your new chosen supplier - to move that account. They may already have been sent a set by landlord or previous tenants - to close their accounts.

ES10-B Meter
    The manual for the meter should you need help reading it (hopefully it's operating in smart mode for suppliers and that will be a rare event - but check bills periodically to ensure stays smart - or just read regularly for own records - also a youtube video link might be easier to follow - some links can be seen in another recent post here

Some of them are configured as what are known as dual rate meters - most commonly on a tariff called Economy 7 or E7 these days - that uses different day and night charge rates and has 2 meter readings - and given you have NSH and electric HW heating - may well be your default. Check with landlord or handover notes etc - or SP.
    The picture isn't exactly clear - but if that contact (wiring switch) sign next to the IMPRT has an L next to it - then it looks like you maybe have a dual rate meter - as the manual link in above post says that is ALCS (off peak) rate switch active.

Fuse Box
    You normally don't really need to go anywhere near the fuse box / consumer unit breakers normally - devices like the NSH should hopefully have their own switches.  Isolating them at the local switch should be good enough for your purposes. But maybe not an electricians / servicing engineer.

NSH
    If you arent used to NSH - they often do not behave like conventional heaters after initial switch on - many will take a large initial charge (in electricity  / kWh input terms ) for 1 or 2 charge cycles (NSH charge at night normally if on E7) compared to the heat they give out initially - then settle into a lower daily energy consumption pattern.  
    Put simply they have to heat a large mass of "bricks" before those bricks can then heat the air.  And that can take kWh of energy per heater - before bricks warm enough to then heat room air efficiently.
    Modern HHR ones - that have in built self learning charge control - like Dimplex Quantums or Ecombi HHR have default programming which IIRC are switched on from fully cooled after long periods - can see them charge to something like 80% of rated charge (upto 16 kWh on larger models - over first 5-6 hours on some models ) - even perhaps if nowhere near that needed to be used - like on a warmer day like last few here.
    The Dimplex iirc also default to 21C if new at several hours in time windows during day - but the previous tenants / occupiers may have set differently - higher or lower at times - to what you require. ( I would drop that to say 17 or 18 immediately for instance for LR - lower say 15C in other spaces - to cut costs - and then adjust if need be).
    My old NSH are off at wall switches just now - it was 15C outside and sunny today - 17C inside at sunny side of house after sunset - warm enough for me not to use any real heating.
    NSH - modern ones especially - are quite controllable - and have time / temperature profiles etc.
    But they need to be used with a degree of care - as if not can be expensive to run as electric is simply more expensive than gas - so set to match needs. Or if old as mine - they need adjusting regularly - as if not then you may end up overheating or underheating as weather changes.
    So try to get heater models or pics and someone will point you at a manual / or suggest settings if use that model themselves.

HW
    NSH do not heat the water - thats the switch on the consumer unit for hot water shown in one of the photos in on position - again - their may be a timer or manual switch close to the tank (with the white wire as shown in your tank photo coming from it / connected to it)
    Your tank has just 1 3kW immersion heater according to spec label (physically placed in the tank - where the white wire in photo goes in).  
    Basically think of it as a very large kettle with a heating element at the bottom, as far as heating, crossed with an insulated flask to keep contents warm. But as it is heating or part heating 90l and not a more typical kettle's 1.7l (3 pints) - the same 3kW power - will obviously take a lot longer - even although it's typically only heating to 60C (c50C ave rise) not 100C  (c90C ave rise). ( c90/1.7*50/90 = 30 times as long)
    HW energy use depends largely on your HW use - but tanks also have losses - normally 1kWh a day on a small modern tank.
    Some only heat tank 1-2 hrs every 2-3 days - others might need that daily.
    Once that is - it has been initially het from cold on day 1 etc (a small tank such as yours (from different manufacturer though - quoted in range of 6-7kWh - about £2 at typical default day rates - less on a decent E7 off peak rate - and your tank is sized 90l according to label - which is slightly smaller than tank for those figures).  
    But the hot water immersion heater also operates using a thermostat setting control - normally set by default to 60C by many suppliers in UK - at which point it will switch itself off - even if leave the supply switch on for much longer - especially like overnight - when not running water.  
    If it doesn't have a timer - you don't have to be panicking about switching it on / off after an hour or two as a rule.  But it's better if on a restricted time supply than live 24/7 - as losses will be a little lower - and you often don't need 60C HW for most applications (if nothing else it is too hot for human contact unless mix with cold) - so if it cools a bit during day - it's not an issue for many.
    (My HW switches on / off 3 times a day for a period of upto 10 hours - with light use (my shower is cold fed with own 9kW heater so don't use tank for that) - it seldom actually takes power for more than 15-20 mins at a time. Take a full hot bath though and that might need well over an hour afterwards)

As above with NSH - HW - starting from fresh from fully cold tank - the initial consumption can be a little scary. In my case 7-8kWh - vs 2-3kWh daily exc shower (maybe it uses another 1kWh ave - about 7m shower)

And as with NSH above the two combined - the power consumption - and so costs - really does worry many people. Its never going to be as cheap a set-up as a modern efficient gas heating system to heat to same temperatures etc - but with a bit of care - it's not as awful as you might initially fear ( and there are some savings - like no £115 gas standing charge - to cover some of the difference - especially if a low energy user)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback