Electricity/Storage Heater

lozzzi
lozzzi Posts: 18 Newbie
First Post
Hi I’ve just moved into my first property, and for the first few days my electricity has been extortionate (barely used anything) so I looked into and turned off my storage heaters at the fuse box. I’ll then turn these on along with the switch at the wall for a couple of hours a day to heat water. Am I doing the right thing or does it need to be on constant at the fuse?

Comments

• lozzzi
    First Post

Another photogrpah
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 947 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you know what make/model of storage heaters you have? Do they appear to have any timer controls on them? If not, perhaps attach a photo so we can try and identify them.

Is there any sign of a timer near to the water heater?

The reason I ask is that storage heaters are usually used on an Economy 7 type electricity tariff, using cheaper off-peak electricity to heat them up overnight.

As such it would be unusual for them to be wired into the same fuse box as your other circuits. 

Is it a new build or was there a previous occupier?

Do you know if you are on an Economy 7 tariff?

If you scroll through the electricity meter display (on the meter, not the little in house display thing), can you see anything that says Rate 1, Rate 2 or similar. 

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What do you mean by "extortionate" -  where are you getting the costs from ?    Are you on PAYG if so have you got your own key from the supplier ?

If on credit what were the meter readings you took when you moved in and what are they now ?  There may well be 3 registers R1, R2 and T.   Take care in reading the meters -  watch out for the decimal point.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • lozzzi
    First Post
    Ah I’m autistic sorry so I don’t understand tech chat but it’s a Hager fuse box and Kingspan heater. I turned off storage heater at fuse to save money 

I’ve never live alone so don’t know how to answer Qs just need to know if I’m not going to mess anything up by turning storage heater off 
  • lozzzi
    First Post
    lohr500 said:
    Do you know what make/model of storage heaters you have? Do they appear to have any timer controls on them? If not, perhaps attach a photo so we can try and identify them.

Is there any sign of a timer near to the water heater?

The reason I ask is that storage heaters are usually used on an Economy 7 type electricity tariff, using cheaper off-peak electricity to heat them up overnight.

As such it would be unusual for them to be wired into the same fuse box as your other circuits. 

Is it a new build or was there a previous occupier?

Do you know if you are on an Economy 7 tariff?

If you scroll through the electricity meter display (on the meter, not the little in house display thing), can you see anything that says Rate 1, Rate 2 or similar. 

This is heater I turn storage heater off at fuse (Hager)
    meter is in another building/outhouse thing 

• lozzzi
    First Post
    I don’t know what a storage heater is so I just turn it off until the morning when I pop them all back on for my water heat and turn off again to save moneys - uses £20 in 2 days and I’ve not been here!
  • lozzzi
    First Post
    I was also just told I’m with Scottish power and the meter says used .. £x amount 

sorry I’m new to this app, new to living alone my first time and I just try save money as rent is expensive as it is
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not sure how to help you but your photo shows the smoke alarm switched off, that is very unwise it should be on
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • lozzzi
    First Post
    bryanb said:
    Not sure how to help you but your photo shows the smoke alarm switched off, that is very unwise it should be on
    I don’t cook so I turned it off to save money!
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lozzzi said:
    bryanb said:
    I don’t cook so I turned it off to save money!
    Not all fires are started by cooking, smoke alarm will only use negligible electricity - Turn it on for your own safety
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback