Electricity/Storage Heater

Options
13»

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we need to keep this very straightforward if we can - and really try to help the OP build a good base of knowledge so they can learn to manage their bills independently.

the washing machine has already been dealt with - the eco setting should be the most cost effective. You can easily turn temperatures down to as low as 20° for general lightly soiled washing - modern powders and liquids deal with washing at really low temperatures. However your machine might not allow that degree of adjustment - don’t worry if it won’t. 

You have indicated that you don’t know what sort of electricity tariff you are on, I think? Have you had a first bill yet, or are you using an app or the Scottish power website? If so it should tell you on there what your tariff is, and what the standing charge and unit costs associated with that are. That in turn will inform you whether you are on a single rate tariff or economy 7 - the latter will have two readings. 

Finally for now - you said that the meter picture you shared was the opening reading I think? So when was that taken, and what is the reading today? It would be good to deal with the previous step before looking at that but actually - if you are on Economy 7 then you will be looking for two readings, not just one. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 961 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think we need to keep this very straightforward if we can - and really try to help the OP build a good base of knowledge so they can learn to manage their bills independently.

the washing machine has already been dealt with - the eco setting should be the most cost effective. You can easily turn temperatures down to as low as 20° for general lightly soiled washing - modern powders and liquids deal with washing at really low temperatures. However your machine might not allow that degree of adjustment - don’t worry if it won’t. 

You have indicated that you don’t know what sort of electricity tariff you are on, I think? Have you had a first bill yet, or are you using an app or the Scottish power website? If so it should tell you on there what your tariff is, and what the standing charge and unit costs associated with that are. That in turn will inform you whether you are on a single rate tariff or economy 7 - the latter will have two readings. 

Finally for now - you said that the meter picture you shared was the opening reading I think? So when was that taken, and what is the reading today? It would be good to deal with the previous step before looking at that but actually - if you are on Economy 7 then you will be looking for two readings, not just one. 
    Agree, hence the questions in my initial post.

@lozzzi

Please can you take a photo of the heaters so we can work out if they are storage heaters or just conventional heaters.

Is there any sign of a timer type controller for the hot water cylinder? Perhaps next to the hot water cylinder, on a wall close to it, or even near your fuse box.

And as per other questions, we need to work out if you do have an Economy 7 type tariff or not.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robin9 said:
    That meter reads 1154 -  what did it read when you moved in ?

It was made in 2021 so is 3 years old so approx 4000 units a year  - that will cost you about £1000 a year - about £80 a month. That is very typical of an electrically heated flat.
    Manufactured / certified is not same as installed - which is what you would need from the installers tag / label.

And it would only be c400 not 4000 if divide 1154 by 3  which would be very low for any home let alone an all electric one.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March at 1:24PM
    Options

Yes sorry will try to keep it simpler in future.

But the OP started from an initial 2 days of what he thought were too high usage (payment if prepay). And was talking about going back and maybe switching heaters on again at a later date.

So wanted to emphasise higher initial warm up costs vs daily running costs for nsh and hw tank in those first day(s) are often not true running costs.

But yes it's a lot to get head around.

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
     The meter is missing its lower security seal so it would be wise for the OP to report this to avoid any suspicion of tampering and energy theft.
    I wondered whether it's worth @lozzzi contacting his energy supplier. He could request being put on their vulnerable register and ask for someone to come out look at the meter and explain everything to him in person. 
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:
    I think a photo of your meter would help .

and turn that smoke alarm back on for your own safety.
    This is the meter don’t know what it has to do with storage heater in my fuse box . Scribbled out my address 
    I'm just a little worried that the live and neutral appear to be swapped over on the input to the meter
  • Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March at 6:40PM
    Options
    Mister_G said:
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:

This is the meter don’t know what it has to do with storage heater in my fuse box . Scribbled out my address 
    I'm just a little worried that the live and neutral appear to be swapped over on the input to the meter
    Well spotted. That definitely warrants further investigation.
    Also missing anti-tamper seal on the lower cover (where the connections are).

Scrounger
  • BellaBlondykeTheThird
    Options
    Mister_G said:
    lozzzi said:
    Robin9 said:

That could mean all the mcbs and fuses within the consumer unit could be useless as they are on the neutral line.

Could be very dangerous and definitely warrants a check.

@lozzzi do you rent or own? If you rent were you provided with a dated electrical certificate. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback