Evri lost return, refusing to pay

I recently bought some clothes from a US website (I am UK based), and returned those that didn't fit. I (*foolishly*) used Evri international courier service, it's been almost 2 months and the parcel is clearly lost. The value of the parcel was almost £1,000 and I paid £114 for the delivery and they are saying all they'll cover is a laughable £20! 

The retailer is saying they won't cover this because they don't offer the returns service. Evri are refusing to take responsibility. I'm really stressing about this as it's a lot of money I'll be losing.

Do I have any rights here as a consumer? Can my bank help? (Debit card, not credit card, unfortunately). Any help anyone can offer would be HUGELY appreciated.

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    hkk92 said:
    I recently bought some clothes from a US website (I am UK based), and returned those that didn't fit. I (*foolishly*) used Evri international courier service, it's been almost 2 months and the parcel is clearly lost. The value of the parcel was almost £1,000 and I paid £114 for the delivery and they are saying all they'll cover is a laughable £20! 

The retailer is saying they won't cover this because they don't offer the returns service. Evri are refusing to take responsibility. I'm really stressing about this as it's a lot of money I'll be losing.

Do I have any rights here as a consumer? Can my bank help? (Debit card, not credit card, unfortunately). Any help anyone can offer would be HUGELY appreciated.
     Who is the retailer? 
     And who provided the postage label the retailer or you? 
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Did you declare the value of the parcel to Evri?  Did they know it was worth around £1000?
  • hkk92
    hkk92 Posts: 9 Newbie
    First Post
    marcia_ said:
    hkk92 said:

Who is the retailer? 
     And who provided the postage label the retailer or you? 
    Retail is Hello Molly, and I provided and paid for the postage label myself. 
  • hkk92
    First Post
    Okell said:
    Did you declare the value of the parcel to Evri?  Did they know it was worth around £1000?
    Yes, I declared it whilst paying for the shipping (they didn't give any option to insure the parcel, I have screenshots of all of the pages), and I've also uploaded proof to Evri showing the value of the parcel.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 March at 6:26PM
    hkk92 said:
    Okell said:
    Yes, I declared it whilst paying for the shipping (they didn't give any option to insure the parcel, I have screenshots of all of the pages), and I've also uploaded proof to Evri showing the value of the parcel.
    Insurance is a regulated activity so they don't call it insurance.
    However they do offer 'protection'.

I tried a dummy order sending clothing to USA.

As soon as I entered a value of £200 it said:
    Protect this Item
    You have free protection on your items for up to £20.00.
    Would you like to protect your items for the full value of £200.00 for only £9.00 exc VAT?

It would not 
    proceed further until I chose either
        Yes, increase my protection to the full value.
    or No, I don't want additional protection against loss or damage

When I increased the value to £1000 it changed to:
    Would you like to protect your items for the full value of £1,000.00 for only £49.00 exc VAT?

So for clothing they seem to charge 5% extra for 'protection'.

I wonder why you weren't offered these options? They were quite keen to sell it to me.
    Could you share your screenshot of that page? It's the one headed What's inside your parcel?
  • hkk92
    First Post
    edited 14 March at 10:19AM
    Alderbank said:
    hkk92 said:
    Okell said:
    Insurance is a regulated activity so they don't call it insurance.
    However they do offer 'protection'.

I tried a dummy order sending clothing to USA.

As soon as I entered a value of £200 it said:
    Protect this Item
    Would you like to protect your items for the full value of £200.00 for only £9.00 exc VAT?

It would not proceed further until I chose either
        Yes, increase my protection to the full value.
    or No, I don't want additional protection against loss or damage

When I increased the value to £1000 it changed to:
    Would you like to protect your items for the full value of £1,000.00 for only £49.00 exc VAT?

So for clothing they seem to charge 5% extra for 'protection'.

I wonder why you weren't offered these options? They were quite keen to sell it to me.
    Could you share your screenshot of that page? It's the one headed What's inside your parcel?
    They have these options on the normal Evri page (if sending nationally) but there is no option for this with Evri International. I would have absolutely insured it but there was never an option to :-(

It actually doesn't even say on this page that it's only insured up to £20. It wasn't until after this mess that I did some digging to discover that the max coverage is £20. 

Attachment here:

(Image removed by Forum Team)

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    hkk92 said:
    Attachment here:
    You should remove and redact that, as it has your name and email address visible, you might need assistance from the forum team if you don't yet have editing privileges....
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,134 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eskbanker said:
    hkk92 said:
    Attachment here:
    You should remove and redact that, as it has your name and email address visible, you might need assistance from the forum team if you don't yet have editing privileges....
    I’ll message the forum team now 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    From the link above

Free cover - you’ll get free cover for up to £20. You can also increase parcel cover if needed.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback