How do DWP know how much savings i have?

Options
Hi, I receive ESA and PIP. I understand that my savings cannot go over £6000 but what if by accident they go a couple of hundred pounds over for a few days, for example when a bill is due? Would DWP know? I really don't want to get anything wrong. Do they randomly audit people or rely on honesty? Many thanks. 😊

Comments

• Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 March at 5:50PM
    Options
    For PIP it doesn't matter what savings you have. You don't have to tell PIP.
    For ESA it depends which type of ESA it is. If you are not sure then tell them anyway.
    For Contribution Based ESA it doesn't matter what savings you have.
    For Income Related ESA then any savings above £6k will reduce your IR ESA  payment on a sliding scale in steps (over £6,000 there will be £1 deducted, over £6,250 £2 deducted, and so on) until you get up to £16k at which point you are no longer entitled to Income Related benefits.
    So going a couple of hundred above £6,000 will just mean that any IR ESA that you get will be reduced by a few pounds for the weeks that you are over £6,000.
    You are of course supposed to tell them if your savings do go over £6000, but for a couple of hundred over it is not a disaster.
    Then having said that -
    Your normal incomings and outgoings such as paying bills are NOT savings.
    You get your income (benefits), you spend it, that's just getting/spending not saving.
    It only becomes "savings" if it hasn't been spent by the next time you get paid (benefts) and so starts building up.
    Often it can be better to have 2 accounts, one for your benefits to go into and get spent each week/month, the other for what are actual savings.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You could of course pay the bills a bit early to avoid exceeding £6k.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They CAN see how much money you have so do not lie or you are risking your whole claim!

One thing is that a lot don't realise is that you can't just spend money to get below the threshold as that is called "deprivation of capital".
    Say you had £5k over the limit and you spent it just to get below, that is against the rules due to that clause.

More here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/how-savings-can-affect-benefits/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They CAN see how much money you have so do not lie or you are risking your whole claim!

One thing is that a lot don't realise is that you can't just spend money to get below the threshold as that is called "deprivation of capital".
    Say you had £5k over the limit and you spent it just to get below, that is against the rules due to that clause.

More here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/how-savings-can-affect-benefits/
    It will depend what you spent the money on. It's not always treated as DoC.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Currently they can't, only if they suspect fraud.
    There is currently a Bill in Parliament that will change that.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March at 4:42PM
    Options
    I would suspect the DWP would try and say you're over the limit even if you pay everything on a credit card and the card's monthly DD takes the account under £6,000 when the bill is paid. It wouldn't really matter to the DWP it's what's in the account when or if they check the account of a claimant. 
    Between two payment dates you can have over £6,000 in the account, it's what's in the account on the payment date that matters but you can still have up to £691 over the £6,000 and not get any money deducted from the ESA payment as they have to take the full £691 into account when they work out if more than £6,000 is in the account. 

They checked my account for fraud in 2016 and found out I was just a few pounds over the limit on a few occasions. I told them I just put my card in the machine and put in how much I wanted to withdraw and I never checked the total in my account. They added £40 to the money they wanted to reclaim so I sent them a cheque. 
    Someone please tell me what money is
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure