Marvellous March's No-Spend Days Challenge!

Options
This challenge is all about helping people to save money by setting aside days every month where you deliberately don't spend unnecessary cash. Over the short term, it can help you have a more frugal month. Over the long term, if you stick with it, it can help change your mindset because you get out of the habit of frittering money away and start automatically holding off from spending instead. It also helps you delay purchases, which in turn means you lose interest in a lot of things you might otherwise impulse buy.

Another good thing with this challenge is we're all in it together, and people will help you on bad days and cheer you on on good days, and the support and accountability can really help make it easier to keep going with it. And if all else fails, there's always next month

To join, just post the number of no-spend days (NSDs) you're aiming for in March and you are on your way!

Tips for the challenge:
1. It's totally up to you but if you've never done the challenge before, it's probably simpler to start with a goal of 10 or (at most) 15.

2. It is fine to exclude necessary expenses eg petrol, groceries, pet food, etc, when it comes to deciding what is and isn't an NSD. It is also completely fine to exclude automated or recurring payments such as bills, mortgage or direct debits.

3. It does help to post every time you notch up an NSD, or at least every two or three days ... it's easy to lose track! If you want to keep track of your NSDs in your MSE signature, that can be really motivating too

4. It also helps to bookmark the thread, it's much easier to find.

5. NSDs are trickier than they seem and easily derailed. It can work better if you notch up as many days as you can in the first half of the month, or think of the month in thirds so if you're aiming for 10 NSDs, try to do 4 days in the first 10, 3 in the second and 3 in the third. And if you feel that you're falling behind, there's no shame in changing your target! Sometimes life just gets in the way, and the challenge should be fun, not a grind.

March

Off to a start = image
5 days = image
10 days = image

15 days = image
20 days = image
Target reached = image
Target beaten = image 

In April I am taking a break from buying: Books

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 29 February at 10:34PM
    Options
    March targets

AuntieL 15
    Balancinglife 18
    beanielou 19
    bloomfelt
    blubella
    BudgetingBelinda
    Caeraugirl 20
    Captspar
    cathybird 15
    Couldsavemore 16
    Crazycatlady2 18
    Flying By 14
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Geriatricmum 10
    Honeysucklelou2 10
    HotDog2020 14
    ilovetea 20
    JustALass
    KajiKita 18
    keggie 18
    laura lau 16
    leftatthetrafficlights 24
    lianne1984
    LittleMissDetermined 17
    madlyn 10
    Makingabobor2 15
    Money Choices
    Mrs Cautious 15
    MrsSave
    Nervous1234 23
    OnlyJealousOfBirds
    PurplePhoenix62
    QueenJess
    Rupacomp 10
    Saver-upper
    SecondStar
    short bird 18
    Thevalueofless 20
    Worlds Worst Superhero

:):) Newcomers welcome! :):)

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks cathybird for our shiny new thread. 
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    Thanks @cathybird 😁 I'll be doing much better at updating this month!! 🤦‍♀️😉😂 
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £66.09/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£629.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £65; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone, could I join for March please?
    I'm going to aim for 10 days and just to confirm, anything that comes out of your bank as a DD or SO is ok? it's just if you go somewhere and physically pay for something that is trying to be avoided?
    SPC 037
  • HotDog2020
    HotDog2020 Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The rules are up to you to make as long as you stick by them, for example I have budgeted everything and when I go over budget or spend on things outside of a plan, unless it is crisis buy then I call that a NS day, @madlyn.
    April Missions:-

Mission 1 - NS days aim 14/30 actual 15/30 Current Month April. Mission Success, Yay!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Mission 2 - Increase EF By The end of the month 

JdownFdownMdownA M J J A S O N D
  • cathybird
    Options
    madlyn said:
    Hi everyone, could I join for March please?
    I'm going to aim for 10 days and just to confirm, anything that comes out of your bank as a DD or SO is ok? it's just if you go somewhere and physically pay for something that is trying to be avoided?
    hi madlyn image and welcome image to our lovely thread! I've added you to the list image Re direct debits/standing orders, they definitely don't count towards spend days, nor do bills or mortgage, and neither do expenses like public transport, fuel or basic groceries - anything that counts as a necessary spend, basically, though what you define as necessary is is partly up to you. It's not so much how you pay for it that matters, so physically paying for things is fine, it's more whether or not the item/expense was needed. I hope that helps? image
  • Caeraugirl
    Caeraugirl Posts: 401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re direct debits/standing orders, they definitely don't count towards spend days, nor do bills or mortgage, and neither do expenses like public transport, fuel or basic groceries - anything that counts as a necessary spend, basically, though what you define as necessary is is partly up to you. It's not so much how you pay for it that matters, so physically paying for things is fine, it's more whether or not the item/expense was needed. I hope that helps? image
    For the last two months of the challenge I've counted my weekly grocery delivery and diesel fill up as spend days. It's been good in as much as I tend to defer other spends until the day the shop comes, but I might try excluding these as spends for March and see whether I can increase my number of NSDs.
    #19 Save £12k in 2024 £4808.21/£12000

April NSD Challenge 13/20
  • cathybird
    Options
    Re direct debits/standing orders, they definitely don't count towards spend days, nor do bills or mortgage, and neither do expenses like public transport, fuel or basic groceries - anything that counts as a necessary spend, basically, though what you define as necessary is is partly up to you. It's not so much how you pay for it that matters, so physically paying for things is fine, it's more whether or not the item/expense was needed. I hope that helps? image
    For the last two months of the challenge I've counted my weekly grocery delivery and diesel fill up as spend days. It's been good in as much as I tend to defer other spends until the day the shop comes, but I might try excluding these as spends for March and see whether I can increase my number of NSDs.
    @Caeraugirl you definitely don't have to count either! xx
  • leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    cathybird said:
    @Caeraugirl you definitely don't have to count either! xx
    I must admit that I always counted grocery shopping and fuel top ups as spend days too!! 🤦‍♀️ I won't now (although I will still record them) so that will make life a lot easier!! 
    Tilly Tidy Fund 2024: £66.09/£100

Weight loss challenge 2024:
    4/24lbs
    1st quarter starting weight: 9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter starting weight: 9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter starting weight: 
    4th quarter starting weight:

GC 2024 - Annual Target: £2712- Running total:£629.12/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £65; May: £; Jun: £; Jul: £; Aug: £; Sep: £; Oct: £; Nov: £; Dec: £

• laura_lau
    laura_lau Posts: 429 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been counting transport because it's not a necessary expense in my case: sometimes I take the bus / tube / train to see friends, and that I count as a spend day (also because it usually is followed by other expenses anyway). Transport for work it depends: I have different options, the bus, by far the cheapest, or train, lazier but approximately 4 times more expensive. If I go to work with the bus, then I count it as NSD, but if I'm lazy and take the train, then it's a spend day.
    My debt free journey starts on 30/08/2023:

CC1 - 5,151.92 now 5,110.89
    CC2 - 4,625.87 now 4,710.77
    CC3 - 4,166.15 now 4,447.66
    Current outstanding total: 14,269.32

Aiming to be debt free by Dec 2026.

April 2024 No-Spend Day Challenge - 15/18
    NST April 2024 - 
    #21 1p savings challenge 2024 £158.11/£671.61
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories