Having to buy car as partner has new job

Options
124»

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Quick question, how long have you been together? Only asking as you're not sure on the children's ages.
  • ceresnet
    ceresnet Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don’t think there’s anything anyone can say beyond that you need to talk to your partner about this. It sounds to me like you both need some help to have this conversation (maybe counselling), it is sounding like communication is not good. None of us can say the rights and wrongs of anything, only you and your partner can decide that.

As it stands if things are as you describe then I’d be inclined to say once for the record that you won’t have a car and will not be able to collect and/or drive the children, then just let it go. If the children are your partners children and you are unable to collect them then ultimately your partner will have to make other arrangements. Tough but true. Do you think they would engage with the issue once the children have been left stranded or are unable to get to their activities?
    Thank-you, I was kinda hoping there was an ansa somewhere. 
    There's a new don't train don't play, rule looks like they won't be playing until this is sorted, fingers crossed might be the push that's needed  
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,964 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a lot more here than meets the eye. The OP has disabilities of some sort (he mentioned PIP and Scope) and lives out in the sticks. Two potential major difficulties, Add to that, having no personal savings or income?...a tricky situation.

Has the partner already started this new job/promotion? They are being very unreasonable to make assumptions that a stay at home dad can just cope without a car unless he has the resources to buy one and afford the running costs. 

OP your partner needs to communicate properly about this situation. You can work this out together but not on your own.
    If they are refusing to do talk about it, you have to refuse to make any transport arrangements for the kids.
  • ceresnet
    ceresnet Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Penguin_ said:
    Quick question, how long have you been together? Only asking as you're not sure on the children's ages.
    Hi, along time - I struggle with birthdays, years etc, dad used to remind me b4 he passed.  I try to use moonpig, or FB. Can't seem to login to either at the mo. Friends remind me of theirs
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ceresnet said:
    Sorry should have given more info 
    Im a stay at home dad,  they both compete at county level 
    ceresnet said:
    Yep, that's about it 
    Conversation had… zero response other than its a promotion & their career 
    Well this is all rather straight forward.

Your partner needs to choose what is more important. Her children competing at county level, or her promotion and career.

Could you not move to somewhere less isolated where there are more job opportunities and perhaps nearer the sport that her children do?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you Enterprise Car Club nearby?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business