ESPP Share transfer for Husband to Wife to avoid CGT

Can anyone help? - Please.

I have USA based ESPP shares.  I would like to transfer them to my wife to avoid CGT.

From what I can see, you can not do that in the USA.  Therefore, I am thinking maybe I can transfer them to a UK platform e.g. Interactive Investor.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance.


  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 753 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I opened up an additional joint account with the broker my employer uses and simply transferred them over, so all stateside.  At least that doubled the current CGT allowance. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards