We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Road To Financial Recovery

1…8687889092

Comments

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Nope I totally get this viewpoint. It has taken me a while but I want to give our little family the best I can. This means making sure work takes a back seat when I am not in work. My personality prevents me from not caring I suspect ha, but it is time to focus on the stuff that is important. Whether I like it or not the reality is I am just a number and if I wasn't there they would just replace me.

  • in my last employment, I would add a day onto my leave when setting my out of office. It allowed me to catch my breath. Now I’m self employed, I opt to do 1 hour each day as it prolongs the benefit of the holiday when I go back. You just need to figure out what works for you.

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I normally keep an eye on my emails and work stuff to make sure I go back to nothing burning down, however this time I needed a proper break. It has been non-stop (and getting busier) since I returned from being abroad in May. By the time I went on this leave I was at the point of having enough..had I been braver I would have probably walked out..but that isn't going to do me any good without a back up and we don't make silly decisions now 🤣 over the last few days I have got myself back into the getting ready for work mindset. I'm feeling better for the break so hopefully I can keep up with that.

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    And just like that it is now like any other normal Sunday and prepping for back to work. Today has been another pretty chilled day, I got up pretty earlier and did a tip run and the weekly food shop. I have topped up the car with petrol. I need to potentially look at getting car booked in as I think I have a faulty tyre pressure sensor. It is saying my back wheel is flat and I've checked and pressure is totally fine.

    With the way we are now doing stuff weekly, my transfers are still going to go ahead but these will now happen on Thursday just before we reset the budget on Friday. This week the most of our weekly budget will cover a meal out when we go to the theatre to watch Six. We booked this age ago and are all looking forward to it. This should be the only real expense this week. We've also had to purchase school trousers so that was taken out of the stuff we forgot.

    The one thing I have finally done that I have been meaning to do for a while is to move all our joint bills direct debits on to one account. They have been coming out of a mixture of accounts - the only one I haven't changed is the car tax coz it sounds a pain to do. I am going to just pay it in full when it is due though again in Feb 27. I am also currently saving to fund a cheaper breakdown cover in November when my current one is due for renewal. I would like to pay for this in full as well.

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    How long after returning from annual leave is a reasonably time to wait before you go back on leave……🤣. Wow what a few days that was, someone emailed me 53 times asking for an update on something…."oh I haven't heard back" well duh….obviously not! Like what is wrong with people and someone also wanted to book me in a 6 hour meeting on Monday morning….like…declined

    Emails are now at a reasonable level and I know where I am at though so that is a positive but defo been an overwhelming few days. We have also had a few hiccups with daughter high school travel arrangements but hoping that will settle once used to it.

    Had me a lil posh bath and decompressed and ready to attack the rest of the week.

    Our finances are all tracked and spends are where needed, but we do have a broken oven now, not beyond using but looks like the top door has dropped a bit due to a metal piece breaking, so will need to book in for repair.

    I hope everyone else's week is going better than mine.

  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 3,329 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    omg 53 times? That's clearly ridiculous !😱 I'm not sure if people get an ooo after the first email but I hope their desk was on fire or something else equally life threatening. I hope you answered then copy and pasted your answer to the other 52!

    22: 3🏅 4⭐ 23: 5🏅 6 ⭐ 24 1🏅 2⭐ 25 🏅 🥈2⭐ 26 🥈 Never save something for a special occasion. Every day is a special occasion. The diff between what you were yesterday and what you'll be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If youre not already using a thing you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney The barrier standing between you & what youre truly capable of isnt lack of info, ideas or techniques. The secret is 'do it'
  • Dakota_Rose
    Dakota_Rose Posts: 812 Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I love the pettiness of 53 replies too 😂 maybe they’d realise the ridiculousness of what they were doing!

    PBs £2550 (including £1k EF & £500 Christmas fund)
    21/26 books for 2026

    Take the time to find the joy in each day

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I just had to laugh to be honest. I just can't understand people, it was just the same 5 spreadsheets for 10 days in a row. All the emails I got sent were replied to stating I had now got their email and I would work through it and provide updates once I can! We can all do silly 😂

  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 2,242 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I get everyone has a job to do, and some stuff I get auto sent a report daily from a computer system, but this wasn't that ha

  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Ridiculous on the 53 emails, my inner pettiness would also be deployed in the same situation 😂

    Hope DD has had a better day with her transport.

    Any transfer Tuesday activity? 🤭

    Debt Busting Again in 2026!

    Starting Debt 03.05.26 = £5345 Current Total 01.09.26 = £3442

    Clear M&S Card Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600 Cleared 05.07.26 💚

    Clear V12 Finance Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600 Cleared 12.08.26 💚

    Clear Barclaycard Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940 Current Total 01.09.26 £742

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.