IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Possible defence upcoming, worth adding this?

Options
kensiko
kensiko Posts: 280 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
Hi all

It's not got to this stage yet, but I am expecting a claim from Carpark Securities in the next few months as it is now at the stage of debt collectors letters which are being ignored.

Just being proactive and getting everything ready and just wanted to know if it was worth putting something in the area where you 'tell the story'.  This is just Para 3 from the very helpful template with everything below its being copied as normal.

I am thinking of adding this:

The defendant paid £4.90 for ‘All Day’ parking as per the signage.  Following an appeal, which was rejected, the claimant stated, “The transaction relating to this registration covered parking for 4 hours, however the vehicle was in the car park for 4 hours and 20 minutes which exceeds the extra time we allow.  The other transaction you have provided receipt of is not linked to the payment on the system for this registration.  It does not show which registration this payment was made for, therefore as stated it is not a parking ticket”.  It is up to the claimant to provide this proof as the payment was made at the exact date and time of the alleged contravention.

The tariffs and the receipt are shown below.

The time of the receipt is 09:59 and the time on the PCN is 14:17 which is 4 hrs 18 mins, which they seem to have rounded up to 4hrs 20 mins.

Unfortunately the actual parking ticket is nowhere to be found which is why they state 'it is not a parking ticket' in their appeal rejection and shows on the receipt.

Is it worth adding this information to any upcoming defence?  Am I correct that they should have to prove the receipt is linked to the correctly purchased all day ticket?

Thanks to one and all.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "expecting a claim from Carpark Securities"

Never heard of them. Doubt they will sue.

And if they do, chances are the Particulars of Claim won't even state what the alleged breach was, in which case you DON'T go into detail in the defence.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • kensiko
    edited 13 February at 4:14PM
    Options
    "expecting a claim from Carpark Securities"

Never heard of them. Doubt they will sue.

And if they do, chances are the Particulars of Claim won't even state what the alleged breach was, in which case you DON'T go into detail in the defence.
    They do seem to be a fairly new entity around the North West of England.

I do find it amusing they can't get their email address correct at the bottom of the signage in question though:

Let's hope they added 'www.contact@' as an alias as there contact page states it's just 'contact@'
    https://www.carparksecurities.com/contact/

And classic FAQ(s?):
    https://www.carparksecurities.com/faq/

I am sure you are correct though, it won't go any further and if it did the standard defence would probably be enough, I just wondered if it was worth adding at all.

Thanks.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Please could you add a redacted copy (front & back) of the Notice to keeper here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6483542/a-thread-of-pictures-of-2023-parking-firm-ntks/p1

Thanks! 
  • kensiko
    Options
    Please could you add a redacted copy (front & back) of the Notice to keeper here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6483542/a-thread-of-pictures-of-2023-parking-firm-ntks/p1

Thanks! 
    No problem, that has just been done.

Apologies for the image and cropping, it was how I received it.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thanks to the VAT Checker, here's their Registered business address

HALLMARK COURT
    132 MANCHESTER ROAD
    ROCHDALE
    LANCASHIRE
    OL11 4JQ
    GB

• kensiko
    edited 13 February at 5:03PM
    Options
    Castle said:

Thanks to the VAT Checker, here's their Registered business address

HALLMARK COURT
    132 MANCHESTER ROAD
    ROCHDALE
    LANCASHIRE
    OL11 4JQ
    GB

Nice find, I didnt notice they only had a registered office and a PO Box on the website.

Looks like they are new as streetview for 2020 shows the property to let.

I should maybe go round to say hello and see how they are all doing  :D

• 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "I should maybe go round to say hello and see how they are all doing "

Be sure to take some  Scammy Dodgers with you.
  • kensiko
    edited 7 March at 1:49PM
    Options
    Quick update on this PCN.  A LBC has been issued, I still personally do not think they will make the claim but we will see.

In response to the LBC, the keeper emailed the usual 'PAP' queries and received the following answers:

"We refer you to the International Parking Community Code of Practice Version 9, paragraph 15.3 which permits a debt recovery fee to be added should the parking charge remain unpaid and this is clearly stated on the signage in the car park which we presume you read and in our letters to you. The fee does not include VAT."

"
    All charges are issued for breach of contract as you have failed to adhere to the terms and conditions of the legally binding contract between ourselves, they have nothing to do with damages."

It all sounds very similar to https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6456632/help-needed-multiple-tickets-in-a-row-for-parking-outside-my-own-house/p6 

I am not really planning on doing anything with this info but was just curious to their answers.
    Or is it worth following CMs suggestions in the most recent post of the above thread?

Just for extra info, it seems they use their own 'experts' for this as it's the same company but the letters are from the 'Litigation Department'.

The £70 'Administration Charge' must not be VAT applicable!

In all honesty, I don't understand much about the ins and outs of companies paying VAT but does this mean they are saying the £100 original parking charge is inclusive of VAT, but the administration charge (debt recovery fee) is NOT?  So they would have to file every one of these as £100 INC and £70 EXC if that is even possible?  It may well be possible, as I said, I am not 100% sure so will be interesting to find out.

Will see the POC if they do start a claim and go from there.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    PCNs do not attract VAT.  They should, but they don't. Not yet anyway.

Admin fees and debt recovery fees or commissions for collecting monies DO fall within VAT scope.  So ask them what they mean by this:

"The fee does not include VAT." 

Point out that DRA and/or 'Admin fees' DO fall within the scope of VAT and before you report them to HMRC you want to check whether their client is paying VAT on this fee, or are they suggesting it is exempt?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Can we see a redacted copy of their LBC please?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure