Londoners – could you save £100s on TfL fares with this hidden discount?

Options
MSE_Petar
MSE_Petar Posts: 333 MSE Staff
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 12 February at 5:43PM in Public transport & cycling
Hi everyone, This is a thread to go with my new Team Blog post about what I think is an overlooked discount. You can read the blog post at the link below:

Londoners – could you save £100s on TfL fares with this hidden discount?

Thanks, MSE Petar

Comments

• amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why is this so click-baity?

But also, frustrated that the only Railcard I’m eligible for (two together) isn’t valid for this. So the answer is ‘no’.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with amanda1024.  We can go to the Mail or the Express if we want to see links of this sort. Why can't you just use a headline that relates to the content of the post?   Here's an idea for you MSE_Petar
    Save by linking your Railcard to your Oyster card 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why is this so click-baity?
    Because MSE has always been a red top so sensationalist headlines/ click bait etc etc

Hopefully they'll remember to update the article in 2 weeks to reflect that Fridays are being off peak all day. 
  • MSE_Petar
    MSE_Petar Posts: 333 MSE Staff
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the headline of the blog. I hear you, and it's not the kind of headline I would normally write in my 'day job' for MSE News.

However, this post sits within the Team Blog section on the site where we can share more personal tips. As I say in the post, based on my own experience, I think this is an overlooked discount – so I wanted the headline to grab people's attention.

In my opinion, a more straightforwardly factual headline would not do this and the discount would remain under-claimed.

With regards to the Friday off-peak fares trial, it has not yet been confirmed that this will definitely go ahead (I checked with the Mayor of London's office before publication) – I will of course update the blog if / when this is confirmed.

Thanks again,
    MSE Petar

• macy08
    macy08 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Would the 16-25 railcard work with the 16+ Zip Oyster?
  • clint42
    clint42 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to point out. This doesn't just apply to Londoners. I live in Scotland, but regularly visit London and have been applying my Senior Railcard to my Oyster card for the last 4 years. The current one is still valid until April '25.

I have been passing this information on to friends since I found out about it. Very handy.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 673 Forumite
    Options
    For many of us in the South East it is more economic to just get a rail day travelcard which includes unlimited travel within zones 1-6. If you are going to make more than two zone 1 journeys a travel card works out cheaper even without the Oyster railcard discount.
  • SalsaBob
    Options
    The version of the article that is up at the time I'm posting has a factual omission. It suggests those who link their Disabled Person's Railcard get a 1/3 discount for off-peak travel. That's true HOWEVER Disabled Persons Railcard also gets you 1/3 discount for PEAK TRAVEL. Like another person I travel to London I don't live there (hence the railcard) usually I cycle in London or use my England National Concession Card for the bus but when I occasionally take the underground/overground/etc it is useful to have the discount on the Oyster (for example I had a puncture and needed a way to get bicycle back to the train station)
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 756 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    clint42 said:
    Just to point out. This doesn't just apply to Londoners. I live in Scotland, but regularly visit London and have been applying my Senior Railcard to my Oyster card for the last 4 years. The current one is still valid until April '25.

I have been passing this information on to friends since I found out about it. Very handy.
    Same here - don't live in London, but apply my Railcard to my (ageing!) Oyster Card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mdann52
    mdann52 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    macy08 said:
    Would the 16-25 railcard work with the 16+ Zip Oyster?
    No, as the 16+ already has a greater discount applied to it, which doesn't stack with a railcard discount
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback