Londoners – could you save £100s on TfL fares with this hidden discount?

Options
2»

Comments

• sutols
    sutols Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    No need to register your Oyster card before linking to your Railcard. I've linked mine for years and it's not registered. It's sometimes a problem finding a member of staff to do the linking!
  • Lions_89
    Lions_89 Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I used to link it when I was under 30 and had the railcard, some staff have no clue, others can do it.
  • pritchah
    pritchah Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    clint42 said:
    Just to point out. This doesn't just apply to Londoners. I live in Scotland, but regularly visit London and have been applying my Senior Railcard to my Oyster card for the last 4 years. The current one is still valid until April '25.

I have been passing this information on to friends since I found out about it. Very handy.
    Same here - don't live in London, but apply my Railcard to my (ageing!) Oyster Card.
    I come down to London from north Wales just a few times a year, so could only save a few ££s, but interested in that all the same

Some v basic questions- does an Oyster card have to be a physical card, or can I have it on my phone or on my Google wallet? I think I'm right in thinking that my first Oyster will cost me £7 in admin?
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,221 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    Yes, it has to be a physical Oyster card
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MilesT6060842
    Options

Some v basic questions- does an Oyster card have to be a physical card, or can I have it on my phone or on my Google wallet? I think I'm right in thinking that my first Oyster will cost me £7 in admin?
    And yes it will cost you £7 in admin.  If any of your friends/relations has an working Oyster they don't need and hasn't been registered, buy it from them instead! 

(You can get lucky on eBay as well but most ebay sales or for collectors, and most cards on eBay are disabled.)

You can do contactless payment card PAYG on a phone, but can't get any railcard discount that way (yet..long term aspiration to allow linking of railcard to PAYG for contactless fares across greater London including rail, as a later delivery for Project Oval I understand--Oval is rolling out contactless PAYG gates to greater london rail stations) 
  • pritchah
    pritchah Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

And yes it will cost you £7 in admin.  If any of your friends/relations has an working Oyster they don't need and hasn't been registered, buy it from them instead! 

(You can get lucky on eBay as well but most ebay sales or for collectors, and most cards on eBay are disabled.)

You can do contactless payment card PAYG on a phone, but can't get any railcard discount that way (yet..long term aspiration to allow linking of railcard to PAYG for contactless fares across greater London including rail, as a later delivery for Project Oval I understand--Oval is rolling out contactless PAYG gates to greater london rail stations) 
    Ah - I think I might have had an old Oyster years ago but got rid of it as I never used it. I'll see if I can find it or maybe ask for a replacement (although that might cost me)

TransportforWales is just introducing PAYG for some stations in south Wales - I wonder if they've thought of being able to link railcards to this. Probably not, but I'll put the thought in their minds!

Thanks for your comments
  • gcowboy
    gcowboy Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can the Senior Railcard be added to two Oyster Cards? If one has a normal Oyster and a 60+ Oyster, for instance.
  • Jaybee_16
    Jaybee_16 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gcowboy said:
    Can the Senior Railcard be added to two Oyster Cards? If one has a normal Oyster and a 60+ Oyster, for instance.
    I thought the 60+ Oystercard gave free travel, so no reason to link it to a senior railcard.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback