Replacing an Old IPhone

Options
JLMartin
JLMartin Posts: 52 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello. Don’t know if anyone can help.  I’ve had a hand me down IPhone 6s for about 5 years now and has suddenly started losing power really fast.  As it’s such an old model I think just replacing battery won’t do much.  I can’t really afford a new IPhone and I don’t trust refurbished ones.  What is the cheapest older model IPhone I could get now that is supported? Bearing in mind Apple have stopped supporting some things.  Or any other suggestions.  I only use Pay As You Go.  I don’t do contracts. Thank you.  🙏 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February at 8:41PM
    Options
    I’ve had a refurb iPhone before, and it was fine – Apple certified as well although it never needed any repairs. 
    Have a look at the SE 2020 version if you don’t mind a smaller phone. Still not cheap compared to android, but cheap compared to other Apple models.

any particular reason for sticking to iPhones?
     I stick to them because I find them really intuitive compared to other phones  and I hang onto them until they die, but android will be cheaper.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JLMartin
    JLMartin Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of my family have iPhones but no older ones to discard at the moment.  It’s just that some things are compatible phone to phone with Wi-Fi etc. so would rather stick to Apple but I know they are expensive.
  • ididgetwhereiamtoday
    Options
    Nowt wrong with refurb. 2020 iPhone SE 2 64gb for £129 from Amazon renewed should last you years. At least 2 more years on the latest IOS and longer security updates. 
    If your willing to gamble then eBay for even cheaper prices. 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    SE 2020  or  Iphone 11  are the oldest you  should be looking at at for any kind of longetivity  of Support  and   if you   budget runs to it  Iphone 13  ( which is the  newest generation offerign the 'mini' form factor )  or  SE 2022 
  • tiger135
    tiger135 Posts: 438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    is amazon renewed a good place to buy?
    i notice o2 arent selling refurb payg anymore

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you're looking for a quality refurbished phone, Backmarket are a good place to look:
  • tiger135
    Options
    I'd seen them come up on google but never heard of them so wasnt sure. Anyone got experience buying from backmarket? 
    Amazon refurbished sounds good but I notice a number of negative reviews. Cex is another option,  not sure what they are like for refurbs but they have the high street presence.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you don't want a refurb/used handset then the SE 2022 would seem to be the one to go for, as the cheapest model still in production. It has the form factor you're used to as well.
  • tiger135
    Options
    has anyone used game.co.uk also has stores  for refurb phones? 
  • ididgetwhereiamtoday
    Options
    Game are more expensive. 
    Amazon returns are very good so you can’t really go wrong. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback