Possible flight scam?

Options
Muttonchops_1943
Muttonchops_1943 Posts: 64 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 7 February at 8:02PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hey…thinking I’ve dropped a right clanger.

went online for flight comparison, saw flights that were great price and cheaper than the airline directly. Thought I was booking actual tickets, paid with credit card only to find out what I have requested is a promotional fare and the tickets not guaranteed. Have to wait 24-48 hours to see whether they are available.

called the UK number but got through to Indian call centre. Was advised that the current price is now more expensive and that we would likely have to pay the extra or they could find us alternative flights. We are fixed on dates so that’s not an option.
I guess my query is, could I do credit card chargeback if the advertised price has now shot up? Travel agent told me I couldn’t get a refund and I have no right to request one?? Doesn’t seem right?

also, was told if I didn’t pay the extra,  I could go onto a waiting list if I didn’t accept the higher priced flights but that is a waiting game and we could still get to airport and find we have no seats. 

I should have done my homework better I know. But is there any hope for recourse on this? The flights were a present for my other half’s birthday. 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which site did you use?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Muttonchops_1943
    Muttonchops_1943 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 February at 8:49PM
    Options
    Flightmover.co.uk

Feeling a right chump now to be honest. I did screenshot the booking and it makes no mention of it being a promotional flight price. 
  • Muttonchops_1943
    Options
    This is what it says in their T&Cs but the booking fare didn’t say it was a promotional ticket either. 

• Muttonchops_1943
    Options
    So if they can’t confirm the ticket at the price I paid, surely I’m within my rights to ask for refund on the basis they cannot provide the goods and services advertised? 
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Demand a refund. Even if it was a promotional fare that should either supply it or refund. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Muttonchops_1943
    Options
    Would it likely be successful if I need to go through credit card chargeback do you think? Call centre gave me hard time earlier on and insistent no refund would be due and I’d need to go on a waiting list
  • I_am_a_robot
    I_am_a_robot Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

I was recently using a comparison site, it had a button to compare with other companies.  The comparison site takes a while to get the results updating the prices as it goes.  One of the other companies was a name I recognised, similar prices.  I then clicked on a site I did not recognise, wow about 25% of the other 2, I couldn't believe it, even though I wanted to as it meant I could afford to attend an old friends funeral.

I then thought why were the results instant?  On this cheap site I started entering other trips, all ridiculously cheap, but more importantly instant results. Also noted the flights I would be interested had no carry on or checked luggage (for the USA). I could not imagine they could quote flights from many airlines instantly, yet alone at prices that were so cheap.

I think I will stick to my travel policy based on personal experience. I book directly with the airline, car hire or hotel. Even if it costs a bit more it will give me piece of mind. Ever tried sorting out an issue with a flight, car or a room booked through a third party? Strangely nothing is the fault of the company you are on the phone to! I also have a personal list of companies I will never use and others I will do my best to avoid and the ones I like.

These days holidays go so much smoother (I am more of a road trip or tour by train person than a sunbathing type). And my friends in the USA are organising a Zoom connection for those of us who are too far away.

• cheapskatevicar
    Options
    Would it likely be successful if I need to go through credit card chargeback do you think? Call centre gave me hard time earlier on and insistent no refund would be due and I’d need to go on a waiting list
    Irrespective of the pressure that flightmover is subjecting you to, don't budge an inch. 
    If they cannot supply flights at the price advertised, ask for a refund and the timeline in which to expect to expect. I
    If they refuse or the time line is unreasonable, I would suggest that you contact your credit card company and state that goods paid for could not be supplied.
    For the future, suggest booking directly with airlines.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They would say that, wouldn't they!

It's pure click bait. Lure you in with promises of a cheap flight, then don't deliver.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Love the fact their website home page still has "dummy text" where clearly they have bought a template and not finished populating, similarly half the logos are out of proportion. 

Reading the terms they are saying that the contract is only bound when they confirm the booking, they haven't confirmed the booking and so the contract isn't bound and you are perfectly entitled to withdraw your offer to contract and obtain a full refund. 

Having legitimately asked for a refund you would then almost certainly have the right to a chargeback if they fail to give the refund in a reasonable timeframe. Chargeback scheme is a bit picky and technically they have done nothing wrong until they fail to refund. 

You are somewhat lucky you picked this one, there was another non-UK based agent on here a lot a while back where effectively they speculate that prices on flights will drop in the future so sell you them today below todays price and then a week or so before your flight either comeback with your tickets or advise they've been unable to fulfil it and either you have to pay more or can get a refund. Naturally being a notable time later prices can have materially increased. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback