Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have got my wife a second Christmas gift, as her first one was free?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I got my wife a reasonably expensive coat for Christmas, from a well-known department store. I submitted my loyalty card when paying, and was told that I had nothing to pay - the loyalty scheme gives one customer their purchase for free every week in each store. But as I got my wife's present for free, should I have bought her a second one? And should she feel entitled to another present?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your wife know you got the coat for free? Is she feeling entitled to another gift
  • Nebbit
    Nebbit Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Surely paying for an extra gift is not within the spirit of 'Money Saving'
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    Maybe get her a little something if your finances are separate. If not, she’ll benefit as well.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Lordy!
    Not another nonsense MMD.
    Just talk to her.
    Tell her you chose a 'reasonably expensive coat' for your Christmas gift to her and it cost you nothing.
    See what she says.
    FHS - she got a gift.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does loving someone come with a price tag?
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • Whitepoppy
    Options
    Did you tell her you got the coat free? If you didn’t then just keep quiet and leave things the way they are. You could buy her a little gift later on in the year just because you love her. If you did tell her, her reaction will tell you whether you should buy her another gift or not. But you know your wife whether is materialistic or not so only you can decide whether or not you should buy her an extra gift. 
  • maff_the_snaff
    Options
    This is almost like asking “if I bought a present with money I won, then does it really count as a present?”.

In this imagined scenario, the fella has participated in a scheme which allows for a prize to be won when you make a purchase.  The prize is of monetary value equivalent to the item purchased.  Can’t see the issue. Bought a coat and won a prize.  Take the win and carry on worrying about real problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback