🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bathroom Design options

Options

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Had a think through, bath once a week, shower up to twice a day. Think sensibly.

1600 bath it is, with a 900 x 1100 shower and plenty of space for a proper partition wall.

Or, you could have a 1700mm bath and a 900mm wide shower...
    Or a P shape bath with a shower over the top - This is what I will probably go for when the time comes as I just don't have the space for a separate shower.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 January at 4:54PM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Had a think through, bath once a week, shower up to twice a day. Think sensibly.

1600 bath it is, with a 900 x 1100 shower and plenty of space for a proper partition wall.

Or a P shape bath with a shower over the top - This is what I will probably go for when the time comes as I just don't have the space for a separate shower.
    I think a proper bath, and separate shower is the way to go, not the shower only option (unless there's a bath elsewhere in the property as sometimes you want a soak) and not a P shaped shower over bath - climbing/stepping over the edge of the bath is really annoying when you could have an easy to walk in shower. 

We have one of each and we used the shower over a standard (not P shaped) bath (which has a decent rain head and handheld arrangement) for over a year whilst we procrastinated on getting the leaking walk in shower fixed.
  • Fromdownwest
    Fromdownwest Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 January at 4:57PM
    Options
    @ThisIsWeird , I’m now only truly visualing what your are explaining, and it makes a lot more sense.

please excuse the scribbles, but is this what you are suggesting?

if so the 40mm is not much on an issue as we could anchor the wall onto the far side wall and 100mm end ‘post’

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January at 6:15PM
    Options
    @ThisIsWeird , I’m now only truly visualing what your are explaining, and it makes a lot more sense.

if so the 40mm is not much on an issue as we could anchor the wall onto the far side wall and 100mm end ‘post’

Exactly. (Good sketches :-). )
    In that second sketch, the thinner 700mm part could be 'just' 700mm to take the bath, so would have a 300-400 thicker end post, or could be ~1000mm with a 100mm end bit being thicker.
    That wall is floor-to-ceiling, so fully secured. 18 or 22mm ply or similar is very solid, and would be even more so with a couple of shelves fitted along the bath side. Once a rigid shower panel is bonded on, I can't see it going anywhere. And the shower door will be fitted at that outer 'post' end, so fully secure.
    The wider 'post' end can be just a post - say 100mm thick/wide - or go back towards the bath as far as you want, so would look 300 x 100-ish if fully to the bath. Not sure what would look better, but would be stronger.

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear said:

They're pointless.  

Just buy the biggest normal bath you can.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 23 January at 7:42PM
    Options

Please don't. 

You have a qualified tradesperson in your house telling you 'no'.   And you have a time served PM telling you 'no'. 

Nobody learns to put up a 400mm partition in their apprenticeships because they are not sturdy.  It's fine for DIYer because they don't get in trouble if it doesn't stay up.  I'm sorry, but I'd refuse to do it for a customer.  

Putting in a post just gives you a tiny reveal to deal with that will need tiling.  More labour and less logic.  

Do it once, do it right.  
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,662 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could be a bit of a devil getting the bath in after building that wall - and replacing it, should it ever come to that. But, where there's a will... :)

However, another vote for a good extractor in the ceiling. We had one put in, mainly above the shower, when our bathroom was totally refurbished. It goes out to a roof tile vent. It's a bit loud (but not obtrusively so), not least because it's fixed directly to the ceiling joists in the loft, but runs when the lights are switched on and stays on for about a minute afterwards. It is great. You can have a hot shower and the bathroom mirror does not steam up. You do have to remember to switch the lights on to run the fan in the summer though!
    As for a "No. 2" fan - that's what the window's for. :wink:

Our room is 2.9m x 1.9m and the installers put six 7.5W LED daylight (because that was the colour we wanted) spots in. It's VERY bright in there and took some getting used to. They are sealed units, so I can't easily change the bulbs. We've got used to it now, but it still blinds you when you wander in in the middle of the night half asleep!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Doozergirl
    edited 23 January at 7:46PM
    Options
    I've entered the twilight zone.  

The design was perfect.  This looks like something you'd be buried in!
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Could be a bit of a devil getting the bath in after building that wall - and replacing it, should it ever come to that. But, where there's a will... :)

However, another vote for a good extractor in the ceiling. We had one put in, mainly above the shower, when our bathroom was totally refurbished. It goes out to a roof tile vent. It's a bit loud (but not obtrusively so), not least because it's fixed directly to the ceiling joists in the loft, but runs when the lights are switched on and stays on for about a minute afterwards. It is great. You can have a hot shower and the bathroom mirror does not steam up. You do have to remember to switch the lights on to run the fan in the summer though!
    As for a "No. 2" fan - that's what the window's for. :wink:

Our room is 2.9m x 1.9m and the installers put six 7.5W LED daylight (because that was the colour we wanted) spots in. It's VERY bright in there and took some getting used to. They are sealed units, so I can't easily change the bulbs. We've got used to it now, but it still blinds you when you wander in in the middle of the night half asleep!

We have an internal bathroom ,no windows but have one silent extractor fan that activates with the ceiling lights and vents thru a roof tile ,it works, as for the bright lights at night we can always put the light on around the mirror if needed  
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure