Bathroom Design options

Options
Looking at redesigning our bathroom, and would lie a 1700 bath and 1200x900 shower.
Labelled waste can not be moved.
ideally have the toilet close to the waste.
Window on opposite wall.
Bath is a back to wall bath.
welcome thoughts on the various options.

Each square is 10mm

A. 
B.

C.
D.
E.

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally I'd go for B or D.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 January at 11:22PM
    Options
    Option D, but... build a stud wall between bath and shower.  

Go with a 900 square shower - it has plenty of room and you'll get a nice neat pivot door onto it.   Quadrants are a nightmare to clean and have moving parts that go wrong.  If you really feel you need a deeper shower then I'd make the new wall deeper and still keep a hinged door on it.  

I'd also put the loo against the waste and probably the sink between the loo and the bath.  All of that can be boxed in nicely. 

A waste pipe is only 4 inches thick so you can box it way tighter than 30cm square if you're clever about it.  A back to wall, concealed cistern toilet set up will work much better than a close-coupled loo in that space. 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 822 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    C or E would be off the cards for me - a little 30x60cm gap behind the shower is bound to gather dust and towel fluff and be a pain to keep clean. It's wasted space if nothing else - unless you have a specific idea of some storage or something that'll go there. 

I personally like D best, but A or B seem OK too. I use the loo and sink more often than anything else, which I think is normal unless there's another loo somewhere that's more in use - so I want a clear and easy path to it, and the sink. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    D strikes me as being easily the most rational and attractive option. 
    Toilet adjacent to waste - essential. Just a basin on that LH wall, giving a more open and spacious feeling as you look and walk in - just compare the amount of central floorspace in each layout.
    Also agree with Doozer to make that a solid wall separating the bath and shower - easy to do, and wall panels will make it 100% waterproof (or tile if you prefer).
    The bath will feel more cosy with a wall there instead of a glass panel. You could even make it a feature - shelves with trailing plants, artwork, whatever. And the shower itself will almost certainly feel far more substantial and luxurious too, with three solid walls instead of a glass box.
    And I'd also 'square' the shape rather than curve, as D says. You can mark out on the floor how far your shower can come out, and I bet even the deepest you were considering - 1200mm - would 'work', but there's really no need; 1100, even 1000 or 900 is plenty roomy, especially when it's a squared-off shape. (I'd go 1000, or even 1100 as long as it looks ok - roomy is good.)

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Doozergirl said: Option D, but... build a stud wall between bath and shower.  

I'd also put the loo against the waste and probably the sink between the loo and the bath.  All of that can be boxed in nicely.
    You really don't want to be banging your head on a sink whilst on the loo, so I'd agree with the above.
    If you are doing a full makeover and going back to brick, whack some insulation on the external walls. Use something like Wedi boards for the areas that are going to be plastered rather than plasterboard. Oh, and don't forget you'll probably want a radiator in there too (where the sink is marked on plan D).

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Fromdownwest
    Fromdownwest Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow, thank you all so much for the amazing insights, made me look at it from a totally different light.

Stud wall option has opened up the image beyond belief.

Toilet and sink on far wall may be a push as a mirror above the sink will be very close to window edge.

So sink on LH wall makes more sense.

Any minor adjustments welcome!

900x1100 shower with stud wall and hinge door.

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Fromdownwest said: Any minor adjustments welcome!
    Still no radiator - It's going get cold in there in the winter, and showering when there are icicles hanging from your [redacted] is not fun.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Fromdownwest said: Any minor adjustments welcome!
    Still no radiator - It's going get cold in there in the winter, and showering when there are icicles hanging from your [redacted] is not fun.

Or a heated towel rail... 
  • Fromdownwest
    Fromdownwest Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, heated low profile shower rail on wall behind the door (partially)
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 January at 11:56AM
    Options
    Spin the loo to the left hand wall then so you only have one waste run and can box in neatly.  

Otherwise you'll have pipes everywhere. 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback