PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Pulled Offer Post Survey

Options
124»

Comments

• Smalltownhypocrite
    Options
    You're being a bit harsh on the OP. He may not have the money to carry out these repairs. He offered on what was described as an immaculate property, not one that needs work. 

No house is perfect, even new builds. 

If there was a serious structural issue etc... that was unknown/invisible before you can re-negotiate price.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 March at 11:03PM
    Options
    You're being a bit harsh on the OP. He may not have the money to carry out these repairs. He offered on what was described as an immaculate property, not one that needs work. 
    In which case they would do better steering clear of older properties, quite honestly. 

The option was there to reduce the offer - which the seller could either accept, or not.ultimately though if I were the seller I wouldn’t be looking at reducing the price based on a lot of on essential items from a survey! 

Our house has an extension which was added in somewhere about 2006 by the people who sold to us. Do I think it would meet current building regulations? Very likely not. Do I give a flying fig about this? Absolutely not! (And for what it’s worth, we don’t have fire doors upstairs, either!) 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 March at 8:17AM
    Options
    The only thing i see of any concern would be repair of the chimney stack, as its not very nice if it falls on your bed in the wind, so £1-5k.

They aren't using the words fully/recently modernised / refurbished are they?
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:
    "Replace the possible lead pipework"!? Not "check whether it's actually lead first"?

and what I've read on here in the past suggests old lead pipes would be lined with calcium by now so of limited risk of lead poisoning....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback