Geriatricmum vs inner voice: A monologue

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @enthusiasticsaver - Can I ask you how old your son was when he came to this realisation. My DD (nearly 21) has scored highly in a pre-assessment for ADHD and this is one of her indicators - shopping. 

Can understand the clothes clutter. I know have half a large cupboard full of DD's clothes. I've told her she's selling them this summer, any not gone by a deadline date will be (responsibly)  disposed of.

I've been doing categories for our de-cluttering. I started with bedding. Then moved onto DD's unwanted clothing. Yesterday we did bags and filled a large sack full. You don't see a huge difference to start as you're not doing it by room but it's possibly a better method for a thorough de-clutter. Shoes is on the calendar for next weekend/ 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,664 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    @Spendless He is my son in law rather than son and has only recently been diagnosed in his 30s. We have known him for 12 years (married to my daughter for 10) and suspected he was due to his impulsive and inability to sit still. He was recently diagnosed as being 100% ADHD. The Assessor had no doubts. Both my granddaughters are ND and were assessed privately. My daughter controls their finances and they have found a system which works for them. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Geriatricmum
    Geriatricmum Posts: 176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee said:
    greenbee said:
    You need to get your dopamine hit from ‘unshopping’ 😉
    😂 I did join the NSD challenge! 
    Next challenge is to sell as much as you can and get the dopamine hit from the sales.
    I'm all over it! 
    May NSD challenge: 3/15
  • Geriatricmum
    Options
    Spendless said:
    @enthusiasticsaver - Can I ask you how old your son was when he came to this realisation. My DD (nearly 21) has scored highly in a pre-assessment for ADHD and this is one of her indicators - shopping. 

Can understand the clothes clutter. I know have half a large cupboard full of DD's clothes. I've told her she's selling them this summer, any not gone by a deadline date will be (responsibly)  disposed of.

I've been doing categories for our de-cluttering. I started with bedding. Then moved onto DD's unwanted clothing. Yesterday we did bags and filled a large sack full. You don't see a huge difference to start as you're not doing it by room but it's possibly a better method for a thorough de-clutter. Shoes is on the calendar for next weekend/ 
    We started with the understairs cupboard last weekend, two bags for the dump, and two plastic containers for long term attic storage items freed up. I'll organise the space tomorrow properly.

£15 made on ebay today woop! 
  • Geriatricmum
    Options
    Been a bit quiet, have been really busy!

Changed my phone contract on Friday, will be paying £7.78 less than I usually do!
  • Geriatricmum
    Options
    I'm still here and dedicated to my new not spending frame of mind. Smashed the NSD challenge this month, hoping to do the same again in March.
    Made two more vinted sales this week so have asked DD21 to post them off today. Made a payment to virgin CC and next account today and I now need to do a shop as I got paid yesterday and there's no food in the house! 

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to March 🌷
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That’s the spirit!  You got this. 
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Geriatricmum
    Options
    Inner voice: "so much for getting rid of barclaycard by May"
    Me: "I don't want money to stress me out because then I think I'll spend to make myself feel better. I'd rather stick just above the minimum then ride the month out and see what I've got left at the end and top it up"

My vinted balance is heading in the right direction, it's a great feeling to have a wee pot of money to fall back on.

I've paid the minimums on my virgin and mbns credit cards. I need to think about whether or not it's worth doing another BT on to the MBNA (0% for 12 months 4% fee) but only £115 available to transfer at this point. 

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My DD sold a T shirt on Vinted recently too, which all helps. Glad you decided to create yourself an EF and can see the benefits of doing so.

I'll leave the others to work out the maths equations as to whether you should BT or not. 
  • Geriatricmum
    Options
    Thanks @Spendless. Hope life is treating you well 🙂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts