PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

La Dolce Vita - 2024

Options
1234568»

Comments

• helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 6:18PM
    Options
    hi Free.  Of course you are welcome here.  The two threads are slightly different in content although there is some crossover...iyswim.  

Thanks for your input about your implant history.  It's such a big complex thing isn't it, and more than a little scary to contemplate, so I'm sure sharing our experiences is helpful to those who are trying to decide what to do. 

I will say this, for me it has been an almost painless procedure, far far less painful than root canal or extractions - just minor discomfort now and again, probably due to minor bruising and feeling being "pulled about".   I do bruise very easily.  A couple of paracetamol to take the edge off and I was soon fine again.  So to those who are nervous don't let the fear of pain put you off. Dentistry has come a long way and most dentists are now very skilled at helping nervous patients.  

Like Free said, do your research & find someone you can trust implicitly.  I have been with my current dental practice for over 35 years, My first dentist eventually retired and I was a bit wary of her replacement but she is fantastic.  My youngest son lives about 45 minutes away but refuses to leave her and find a practice closer to his home. When  I move I too shall stay loyal. 

Had my chiro treatment earlier, feel exhausted now so just taking it easy.  A simple dinner, watch a film and an earlyish night.  Maybe a G&T to help me unwind......😉
  • helensbiggestfan
    Options
    Wednesday.....good idea to wear your rings on a chain.  
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just delurking to say I second everything you’ve said about dental implants. I had mine (just one so far) about 12 years ago and I paid £3000 then so I think you got a good price.

It was a front tooth, I had a crown but eventually the tooth cracked and the crown kept dropping off. I was really self-conscious about it. My dentist said I could have a bridge, but I felt that would be compromising the adjoining teeth. I had a temporary denture while the work was being done,  and absolutely hated it. 

The implant has been fabulous, I can now bite into apples and bread, etc without worrying.  It is a long process and expensive, but to me a smile is worth investing in, and I would have another one without hesitation if I could afford it.  It took nearly 6 months to complete because it has to heal between each stage, and that would rule out going to Turkey (not that I ever considered that).  The ones that are fitted immediately have a much poorer success rate. 

I love this thread, don’t post very often, but I enjoy reading about your adventures. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • FreetodoasIlike
    FreetodoasIlike Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Love the dentistry stories. As Helen said, dentistry has certainly come a long way. I also loved my previous dentist. I chose her when I changed jobs 20 years ago. She was a 7 min. walk from work, so very convenient and was well recommended by colleagues. Unfortunately she sold the practice and moved out of the area with her husband when her two daughters went to Uni. I did go with her replacement, but didn’t gel with him. Three things really. The first was when an implant crown came out when I was eating toffee (yes, I know!). It literally took him minutes to put it back and charged me £90. I was expecting to pay but when a similar thing happened (this time with a fruit pastille - I know I learned the hard way) my current dentist didn’t charge me.  When I went to pay, he said he wouldn’t dream of charging me as “you are part of the practice”, meaning I paid monthly for checkup and hygiene appointments. Well, I was a member of my previous dentist’s practice but he still charged me! Secondly, when he did a small filling, he said that I didn’t need a local anaesthetic (despite me telling him that I had a low pain threshold). I insisted though but he obviously didn’t use enough as it was painful. Thirdly, despite my top implants, I was unhappy about my two front bottom teeth (purely cosmetic) and he didn’t seem to want to discuss options. More fool him as my current dentist discussed veneers and I went ahead and now the bottom two look as good as my implants on the top. 

@PollyWollyDoodle. So glad that you’re happy with your implant. I also hated my temporary dentures because I lost the enjoyment of eating. I think the problem I’m having with my loose tooth would be helped by a bridge as it’s between an old implant and my new implant and it’s common to have bridges between implants, so fingers crossed. 

@Wednesday2000. I think you might have mentioned your ring on Helen’s other thread, as that was where I posted a pic of my jewellery. Good idea to wear your rings with a chain, rather than selling them. 

PS - my days of eating chewy sweets are long gone!!
  • helensbiggestfan
    edited 14 May at 12:43PM
    Options
    Good Morning My Lovelies.   

I love hearing about all your implant successes. Finally having got my teeth sorted and my smile back has been wonderful, it has restored my confidence and self esteem.  I smile all the time now and have started chatting to strangers again without fear, shame or embarrassment about my teeth.  I feel like myself again.  I have been something of a recluse this last few years and not just because of grief. I think it's also down to loss of confidence and embarrassment.  

My implant journey has revealed something very interesting about someone who I thought was a good friend but who has tried to put me down and shame me for being vain or self indulgent for having my teeth fixed. 

I have no idea why she has responded the way she has. She is much richer than me and can easily afford the money and doesn't have a fear of dentists so not sure where she is coming from or why she is so disparaging. I was quite shocked and hurt at first but now I have decided it probably says more about her than me. 

Her son in law is my handy man. Yesterday he cut my lawns for me. I was telling him I seem to have upset her because she was being off with me and he just said "yeah that sounds about right, she's always right and everyone else is out of step, it's her way or the highway" I always knew she could be a bit prickly but I had no idea she was so judgemental and vindictive.  Oh well, you can't win them all.  It's very sad though.  

Both my father and my mother in law were like that.  Both utterly miserable and full of hatred and bitterness.  They treated anyone who dared to think differently and who didn't conform to their world view with contempt. True what they say.  Nowt so queer as folk.  

I have decided I need to revamp my wardrobe.......unfortunately I haven't lost any weight and am in desperate need of clothes that actually fit me me. I do have loads of nice clothes but unfortunately they are rather snug so it's time to go shopping for some cheap and cheerful stop gaps.  I made a start last week and picked up some nice tops from a local charity shop.  Spent the grand total of £5 on a sweater and two tops.  Last of the big spenders, me. Haha  - apart from my teeth of course.  😂.  

I have thoroughly enjoyed the little heatwave. It's raining today but I don't mind. I know it's a cliche but we do need it. It keeps our green and pleasant land, well, green and pleasant,  😉. I am having an indoor day,  catching up with some domestic tasks.  

Still no nearer to buying a house. There is nothing that really appeals and I can't see the point of buying for the sake of it. I can wait for the right one. I am happy enough here although I am really looking forward to getting stuck in and creating my own space.  

Life is pretty good, spending a lot of time with family, enjoying my grandchildren.  They are just at the age where they are becoming interesting. I don't dislike babies but I much prefer them as they grow up a bit and start becoming little people. I love watching their growth and development. I really loved it when mine were teenagers, loved having their mates round and the house was full of their energy and laughter.  I do hope I'm still around when my grandchildren get older. 

I am still enjoying La dolce far Niente, the sweetness of doing nothing. Just pottering about, reading, watching the odd film or tv series, soaking up the sun, trying new recipes.  Currently watching Clarksons farm. Like him or loathe him, he's a character and it turns out he's dead soppy about animals.  Made me laugh that he's called his dogs Sansa and Arya, after the two female lead characters in "Game of Thrones". 

Other than that no news, all is good.  

• OpalGirl
    OpalGirl Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately there are some people who feel the need to put other people down - I think it must somehow make them feel better about some insecurity in their own lives. Maybe she is jealous of your enthusiasm and zest for living. Being miserable and unpleasant to others must be very soul destroying and draining.

I know what you mean about the sweetness of doing nothing - I am on a couple of weeks holiday at the moment and am having a lovely time just pottering around. Sleeping in a littler later than normal, doing some life admin tasks, reading, doing some planning for future renovations and generally recharging my batteries. Another few months and hopefully I will be retired and this will become the norm.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    Options
    It’s always disconcerting when someone you thought was a friend reveals a different side.  Smile gracefully (with your lovely new gnashers!) and move on.  

I shop at charity shops but always wear Chanel perfume and get my hair cut regularly - those are my non-negotiables that make me feel fab.   I was criticised by an acquaintance for this, and I pointed out that it’s because I buy clothes at charity shops that I can afford the other things!  A few high-street outfits would easily cost more than a bottle of perfume which will last me a couple of years. You can’t please everyone. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • FreetodoasIlike
    FreetodoasIlike Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, my user name says it all! 
  • helensbiggestfan
    edited 17 May at 11:32AM
    Options
    Yes, my user name says it all! 
    😂🤣

Good Morning Everyone.  

It's finally stopped raining, just watching my neighbour tackling his garden.  He's making me feel guilty, but not guilty enough to get out there and do mine.......lol. 

Well I think I've finally turned a corner.   I don't know how to explain this, so I'll just call it "The Mindset Shift Effect". Today is Day 5 of my diet and I think I've finally cracked it.  I have tried so many times in the last couple of years to try and lose some weight and have barely made it past the first day before failing.  But, for some reason, this time it's different.  I can feel it. I wont say it's effortless because nothing that is good or worthwhile in life comes without effort but it's certainly easier than I anticipated.  I'm a little perplexed but very pleased......

It's was like this when I managed to cut out caffeine and sugar, I had tried for so many years and just couldn't do it, then all of a sudden, something clicked and I was successful. 

I guess some things just can't be forced......maybe the time has to be right, maybe you need to get your head in the right place first,  

It's a bit like being in a relationship with the wrong person or in the wrong job, you stick around knowing that something is wrong, that the person you're with isn't right for you, that the job is draining you but you allow things to drift and then one day you think "what on earth".  Your brain does a complete 180 and suddenly you gain clarity and everything just slots into place.  

Ooops nearly out of battery........

see you later. 💕

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport