PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

La Dolce Vita - 2024

Options

Comments

• helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Finding the right house is a bit like finding the right man....... todays offering didn't hit the spot.  Lol. 
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There have been a lot of bugs going around Helen. I seemed to be ill on and off from the start of February to the end of March. I hope the weather gets better too as yesterday was raining and dark here. We had hailstones and sunshine on one of the days this week. :D Typical April.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a thought about weight loss

Because I have solar panels I decided to have my main meal at lunchtime, also some evenings I just 'couldn't be bothered'- not a good plan. Might as well cook when the electricity is free. I think I eat healthier this way and don't eat that much in the evening.  Got a weird tummy bug thing in Feb.- bonus was I lost some weight & have not put it back on.

Oh, for some warm weather. Fed up with dog walking in the chill & wearing gloves.
     Had a lie-in today when the sun was shining- big oops- when I got up had to walk dog in the rain!! That will teach me to be up early.

In the week I try to go swimming every day- I find that really helps with the aches & makes me stretch, if I don't go I notice the difference.

Are you planning to buy a house or a bungalow? I know you can get 'bungalow legs!' which is not good for general mobility.
    Hope you find a property that ticks alll the boxes
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Yes, I'm feeling much better now, thanks. I have to have a filling done tomorrow, though as my other one fell out while I was flossing! How much did you say you paid for your teeth implants? I meant to PM you to ask.

• helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    edited 1 May at 11:45AM
    Options
    How much did it cost.......An arm and a leg......lol.   

Seriously though.  All in all £14k. That's for 5 posts, 2 single teeth and 3 posts which have a bridge.  So it works out at 5 posts and 8 teeth iyswim. They worked out at £2500 for each replacement post and crown, and £3k for a post with a crown and bridge giving 2 new teeth.  Hope I've explained that ok.   Basically it works out that I have replaced 8 teeth.  That includes everything, lab work etc.  

I know it sounds a lot and but when you think how much work and time is involved you can see how it mounts up.  For example the surgery had to be thoroughly cleaned and extra care taken to make sure everything is as sterile as can be before they can fit the posts so they have to keep an hour free beforehand for extra cleaning, so that they lose appt time with other patients. That all costs money.  I did have to have some work done before treatment could proceed, a root canal on one tooth, and three extractions, so about another £1k.  I had actually budgeted around £20k so was delighted with the final figure.  

They offered me 10 months interest free credit which I gladly accepted even though I had the money sitting the bank. I think most dentists offer this and if you are really stretched they can offer finance over a longer term, although interest will be payable.  

I know there some people who simply cannot afford implants no matter how hard they try so I am very lucky I was able to find the money.  It took a few sacrifices such as no foreign holidays since 2018 but that was my choice. No regrets.  Hopefully I can travel again and have some nice holidays in the future.  If I need further implants down the line then I don't mind going without fancy cruises and holidays.  

I am sure some people might think it's too much money to spend on what they might perceive as "cosmetic dentistry" but I tried a partial denture and I just couldn't cope with it.  I am delighted with the results so far. I was really ashamed and embarrassed by the state of my teeth and it was affecting my food choices too.  Getting my teeth sorted out and my mouth restored has definitely been a game changer for me. 

I know that a lot of people have had success with going abroad for cheaper implants but I have such terrible teeth I didn't want to risk it. I honestly don't think a weeks holiday for quick dental treatment would have worked for me. It has taken 18 months and I have lost track of how many appts have been needed.  

Was it worth the time and money.??  

For me a resounding yes.  It has done wonders for my self esteem and confidence. It has been worth every penny.  
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Ah okay, thanks for the info. It is up to what you spend anyway, it is your money. :) I was only thinking it as I have been to the dentist 5 times this year already and I have heard different amounts thrown around by people I know who have had their teeth done. My husband said his friend's girlfriend got hers done in Turkey for £4,000. I'm sure my friend said she got her top teeth done and they were £10,000, but this was about 15 years ago now. 

It is a lovely warm sunny day here. I just went to play fetch in the garden with my dog and I'm going to start my new library book.

• FreetodoasIlike
    FreetodoasIlike Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Hi @helensbiggestfan. I hope you don’t mind me subscribing on this thread. I regularly post on the Frump to Fab thread, and found this,  so this is a delight too, and I recognise some familiar names.

As you may know, I too have just had my implants. Two implants and a bridge (to replace two crowns and bridge). The teeth were infected and, although I could have had root canal treatment, the dentist said they wouldn’t sustain another crown, so hence the implants. Total cost was £8,500, which included the bone graft that I had to pay for separately,  the removal of two teeth, reconstruction of a crown to sustain the bridge, temporary denture and all lab work. This will be my eighth implant (thought I had nine!) but my first two (with bridge) were in 2007, so a long time ago and they have lasted. I lost my three front teeth and the alternative was a permanent denture. My temporary one affected my eating enjoyment, so it was worth it to me. I took out a 0% credit card which will eventually pay for them (rather than dipping into my savings). I’m glad you are pleased with the result. It was well worth it. I think £14K for all the work done was quite a bargain. I still have a problem with the crown next to the implant though. It has always been a bit loose and became even looser when I didn’t always wear my temporary denture (you couldn’t really see the gap when I talked naturally) and there was more pressure on that crown. I’m going to go back and find out what my options are. I would like a bridge (much cheaper than an implant) to replace the crown which I feel would be more secure - we shall see.

@Wednesday2000. I would be wary of travelling abroad for dental work (not that you’re proposing to!) as I’ve heard some horrific stories. Yes, all dentists are different, some good, some not so, and people may save a fortune going abroad, but my previous dentist told me two horror stories, where the implants weren’t regulated and the patients received an inferior implant. She had to re-do the work, as the results were horrific and the patients were in so much pain. So they effectively paid twice, and it wasn’t a bargain. My hygienist is happy with my cleaning and always tells me “to look after my investment!”. Some people might buy a new car (not me!) for £14k so you pay your money and take your choice.

Helen - good luck with your house search. Although I don’t like gardening, I do like to sit out in our (very) small back garden on a nice day, with my kindle and a glass of wine. I believe the weather is going to get warmer? I hope so.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Yes. I would research it quite carefully if I ever had it done and I doubt I would go abroad to have dental work.

I think I was saying on here about selling my engagement and wedding rings because of the osteoarthritis in my fingers. I decided to just buy a chain and wear the rings as a necklace. The chain should be arriving today.

It is so nice now the weather is warmer and it feels more like Spring. I have just been pottering around today decluttering various things that I won't need when we move. It is so nice to be able to have all the windows open. I will buy some more flowers this week as my tulips are on their last legs. I did buy some pink trainers from Amazon too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback