Frump to Fab 2024

Options
helensbiggestfan
helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,003 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 30 December 2023 at 11:02PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Hello Lovely Ladies.  

Well here we are, just about to start a nice shiny new year.  I am soooooo excited.  Bursting with plans and schemes.   

But first.........alas, to my shame, I have allowed the Frump back into my life. 😱.  She simply has to go.   

So I am resolved to post on here more regularly and to hold myself accountable.  I am not giving up the fight,  lol. 

On a more positive note.........2023 saw some big changes in my attempts to improve my health and well being.  

It saw me undertake some serious dental work. 5 implants.  The process is almost complete. I get my final crowns (8 of them) in February. It will be so nice to have my mouth restored and to be able to smile without feeling self conscious.  Although it's been a lengthy process, beginning in January, it hasn't been nearly as painful or as traumatic as I feared it would be.  

The most difficult part is the cost. .  I have been skimping and saving, going without a proper holiday since 2018 to fund the treatment.  However,  when we began the dental practice offered me the opportunity to spread the cost over 10 months interest free so of course, despite having the money sat in the bank, I took advantage of their offer.  That way I get a bit of interest on my savings so I shall actually be up in the deal.  Win-win.  And great money saving.

The second big change was back in January when I undertook a course of chiro treatments to deal with some musco-skeletal problems.  Very painful and it did rather take it out of me but I persevered and thankfully my body is now properly aligned and my posture is much improved.  I just have to have a maintenance appt every 6 weeks to keep things ticking along.  

The third and final huge change was I have finally managed to QUIT SUGAR in my hot beverages. 💃. I have been trying off and on for decades but just never managed it.  Finally something clicked and 4 weeks ago I finally did it.  I even went cold Turkey!!!  I felt dreadful for about 3 days but after that it's been easy.  I've had no cravings at all, my taste buds have changed and I have no desire to eat sweet things.  I tried a mince pie over Christmas and it tasted awful, sickly sweet and cloying. 

So.....although I have sadly allowed myself to become a bit of a frump again I think I have made some very important health gains.  

So, as we go into 2024 I shall be redoubling my efforts, starting with the following........

1.   First of all I want to quit caffeine. 
2.   I need to lose at least 2.5 stones
3.   And of course, exercise more to become more flexible, to lose fat and gain muscle.  

So there we are......

Feel free to join in and please, just kick me in the derrière when I wander off the straight and narrow.  

In the meantime........

I hope you all enjoy your New Year festivities.  Have fun. 🎉🥂🍾

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hi fabbers,

place marking for the new thread.

Ive been MIA for quite a bit of 2023, so i want to get back to keeping up with you lovely people. 

hopefully, will see you all on the other side (2024).
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone,

About time I stopped lurking and joined in too 😁.

Thanks for setting up the new thread @helensbiggestfan and good to hear all your news. Like you, I took the plunge at the end of 2022 and spent the early part of 2023 wearing clear aligners to straighten my teeth. I am over the moon with the results and only have to wear a retainer at night now. It has made me feel less self-conscious and I can smile away without feeling awkward about it.

Like others my main goal for this year is to get fitter and eat more healthily - I don’t need to lose any weight as such - only about 4lbs of Christmas excesses 😱. 

It is a big birthday year for me - I will be 60 in November so the aim is to be ‘Sensational at Sixty’ 😀.

Look forward to hearing everyone else’s goals and progress - and wishing you a very happy and healthy 2024 🥂
  • FlacosFloozie
    FlacosFloozie Posts: 816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,
    I didn't post much last year. I did make some progress last year with getting my hair cut more often and improving my wardrobe. Fell off the wagon with exercsie towards the end of the year.
    Anyway, went for a run this morning. Once home had a shower and used up some nice body butter after. Currently wearn old scruffy clothes as I'm just about to start cleaning the oven.
    MFW 2024 £0/7500 Mortgage £129,500 Jan 22 Final payment June 38 Now £99,801.75 FP May 36 Emergency Fund £17,500 100% Added to ISA 24 £0 Save 12k in 24 #31 £0/20,000 Debt Free 31.07.14
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback