We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Well done, @PipneyJane! That's a lovely photo of you and your sister.😁 You couldn't disown each other, you're so alike.
I didn't think to get a photo of me and my friend, unfortunately, but we were just in the local cafe, so not as special as Twickenham! We had a couple of couples who asked what we were making. I was just making yet another square for "the blanket". My friend was making dolls' clothes, specifically, a pair of knickers! That raised some smiles.😂
2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used7 -
I didn’t knit yesterday as we were out urban sketching in Otley. Which also attracts interest from bystanders. They like to stand in front of sketchers and explain that they can’t draw or paint!MrsCD said:Just a shout out to remind everyone that Saturday is National Knitting in Public Day! I'm going out for a cuppa with my friend in the morning, and taking some knitting!Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/894 -
That made me laugh! Do you reply 'Neither can I when you stand between me and my subject'?Sarahspangles said:
I didn’t knit yesterday as we were out urban sketching in Otley. Which also attracts interest from bystanders. They like to stand in front of sketchers and explain that they can’t draw or paint!MrsCD said:Just a shout out to remind everyone that Saturday is National Knitting in Public Day! I'm going out for a cuppa with my friend in the morning, and taking some knitting!
My distracted brain has just decided that a good way to get into conversation with random strangers would be to sit in public sketching knicker-knitters.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
It’s tempting! We’re mostly amateurs, and it’s all very relaxed, but we do have a ‘throwdown’ after a couple of hours so it’s nice to have something to show.Cherryfudge said:Do you reply 'Neither can I when you stand between me and my subject'?When I’m retired (this is turning into my catchphrase) I’d like to find a group of knitters.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/895 -
Least its knitting and not crochet.Sarahspangles said:When I’m retired (this is turning into my catchphrase) I’d like to find a group of knitters.
Otherwise you'd be looking for a group of hookers 🤣8 -
Awww… Thank you. I look more like mum than DS does, but there’s definitely a strong family resemblance between the two of us. (I have a small, framed, black-and-white photo of my mum from when she was in the WAAAF in WW2. Back in the 1990’s, it was on the mantle in my old house. I lost count of the number of people who saw it and asked me when I was in the Air Force!)MrsCD said:Well done, @PipneyJane! That's a lovely photo of you and your sister.😁 You couldn't disown each other, you're so alike.
Are you sitting comfortably? I have a spend to declare! We took DS and BIL to Windsor yesterday afternoon and had a wander around the shops. As you know, I’ve been looking for a replacement for my summer coat for a couple of years. Well, I found it, in Barbour and spent my entire saved clothing allowance on it. It’s a cream coloured “Lavender” coat. Waterproof, hooded and amazingly roomy. (I normally buy my coats one dress-size up. Not this time. This time, I had to go with a size 12 and even that has plenty of room for jackets, jumpers, etc, to be worn underneath.) £249 and 14 coupons spent.
While in Windsor, I discovered that there are multiple - at least 8 - different charity shops, so I will be going back to shop those, once DS and BIL are off on their cruise. I’ll have to raid my Fun Fund but it’ll be well worth it.
- Pip
PS: In other news, I sewed up the sleeves of my “Trott” jumper and weaved in the remaining ends. No photo yet, because I found a moth in the bag(!) in which it had been stored, so it’s currently in the freezer for a few weeks to kill any eggs. Also, this jumper will always have to be hand washed - when I machine washed the swatch, years ago, it shrank by 3/4."Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag9 -
The coat sounds like a good investment, Pip, and a planned one at that.
Oh no! to the moth - is there any damage?I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/225 -
Fortunately no visible damage @Cherryfudge.Cherryfudge said:The coat sounds like a good investment, Pip, and a planned one at that.
Oh no! to the moth - is there any damage?I must confess that I am considerably p—ed off by the shrinkage of the swatch, which is why it took so many years before I did do the finishing. ( The yarn wasn’t great either. ). However the colour will work well with several of my suits. And I really liked the pattern.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag7 -
I hate to break it to you but putting it in the freezer for a few weeks won't kill any moth eggs...! Freezing *can* kill moths, moth larvae and moth eggs but only if it's a commercial deep-freeze made for such purposes and freezing considerably colder than the average domestic deep-freeze! Also, it's not the freezing that kills them but the thawing, so a cycle of repeated freeze-thaw-freeze is what's done for conservation work.
The better option is simple daylight, which degrades the 'glue' the eggs are attached with- so put the garment outside in daylight (I usually put it on a coathanger and peg the hook to the line) and let it get thoroughly daylighted for several hours, then turn it inside out and do the same; hang it upside-down if it's got bits that would otherwise be shaded completely. That way any eggs drop off into garden where they are harmless. It doesn't need to be full sunlight, just daylight is enough.
Alternatively, put it all in a large box or bag, spray in some insecticidal "space-spray" and leave it sealed for an hour or so.
But although the internet is filled with people telling you to freeze things to kill moths and larvae and eggs, it won't kill the eggs and not necessarily the larvae (!)...2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);9 -
I've always wondered about that, Laura. I also wonder if 'bugs' and viruses survive really cold winters, too. Do they just hibernate?2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used4
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
