We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Blush! I can't count, it seemsIt doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!6
-
Oooh, I'm more interested if it's also got history and social analysis!potplant said:Thank you very much, @Cherryfudge, for the heads-up on the Patrick Grant book! Very impressed, and entirely fits my ethos of making, improvising and repairing, but such a lot more history and social analysis than I'd expected. (Please can we have Patrick Grant for Minister of Trade and Industry in our new Government? I refer, of course, to our post-War Government-to-be....)
He's from very near where I'm from, and is a similar age- but I don't remember ever knowing a Patrick Grant!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);5 -
I've bought a dressing gown - a very light cotton one which I've been hesitating about for a while as I've already got a very nice dressing gown/towelling robe (obtained with some of the last of my 2022 coupons), but although that's lovely in the winter, and at home, it really is too warm to wear in the summer, and so bulky I never take it if I go away (I own an old blue fibreboard suitcase that fits under an aeroplane seat if I'm flying, or on a train luggage rack, or at a pinch on my knees, and which I can carry long distances without discomfort). This is thin cotton and will fold up to nothing and could probably be rinsed out and dried in a day if necessary.
I've been looking quite hard for some new work trousers too, but can't find any as nice as the ones I have - the only problem with those being that I bought them after gaining over a stone in weight and losing muscle tone in the lockdowns, and now I've finally managed to get back to my pre-covid fitness they've gone from comfortably loose to awkwardly baggy. What I'd really like of course is the same thing a size down, but it's all cargo pants in the shops now.
So I think perhaps a really nice belt instead to pull them in and up a bit - which will be coupon free, if I'm reading the rules right - and I can worry about replacing them next year.
Fashion on the Ration 2026 - 1.5 over.
September Grocery Challenge - taking the month off
Declutter 12 things (net) in 2026 -5 -
@maryb, Sarahspangles is correct. We have 7 months left of the year, so that is 38.5 coupons if you prorate them.
@Sarahspangles those gloves look lovely. When you finish them, please let us know the amounts of yarn that you actually used. (Since a noticible proportion of my stash consists of the leftovers from knitting socks, I’m tempted to try to use them up that way.)
Belts are coupon free @diminua. My commiserations. I’m in the same boat, re clothes, since I’m now 1.5 stone lighter than I was before I got sick, and have gone down a dress size. Fortunately for me, I kept most of my clothes from the last time I was this size, in the blind hope that my weight gain wasn’t permanent. I just didn’t expect it to take over 12 years to get back to size 12.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag6 -
@diminua - if you can sew, or know someone who can, then you could try making the trousers a bit snugger round the waist- I have found it works best to do several smaller pleats, and stitching them down makes them lie flatter.
Try two small pleats, facing outwards, on either side at the front (experiment with pinning to get the placement right), and one or two on each side at the back.
Once you've got your little pleats in the right places, stitch them down (by hand is fine), and stitch them down into the trousering below the waistband for a couple of inches to help it all settle smoothly. Press them on the inside of the trousers, and/or through a damp cloth.
Don't worry about getting them tight enough, just get the trousers less big generally. Wearing a belt over trousers you've taken in will look better than wearing a belt over trousers much too big for you.2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);5 -
Just a shout out to remind everyone that Saturday is National Knitting in Public Day! I'm going out for a cuppa with my friend in the morning, and taking some knitting!2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used5 -
Thanks for the reminder @MrsCD. I am going to the rugby union grand final tomorrow at Twickenham, so will definitely be knitting in public. (My sister and brother-in-law are over from Oz. It’s a treat for him to go to Twickenham for a game. We were at The Oval tonight for a T20. Too cold to knit!)MrsCD said:Just a shout out to remind everyone that Saturday is National Knitting in Public Day! I'm going out for a cuppa with my friend in the morning, and taking some knitting!
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag6 -
Thanks Laura. I'll give it a go. My sewing skills are fairly basic, but that does sound pretty doable (and I will never get better if I don't try!).Laura_Elsewhere said:@diminua - if you can sew, or know someone who can, then you could try making the trousers a bit snugger round the waist- I have found it works best to do several smaller pleats, and stitching them down makes them lie flatter.
Try two small pleats, facing outwards, on either side at the front (experiment with pinning to get the placement right), and one or two on each side at the back.
Once you've got your little pleats in the right places, stitch them down (by hand is fine), and stitch them down into the trousering below the waistband for a couple of inches to help it all settle smoothly. Press them on the inside of the trousers, and/or through a damp cloth.
Don't worry about getting them tight enough, just get the trousers less big generally. Wearing a belt over trousers you've taken in will look better than wearing a belt over trousers much too big for you.Fashion on the Ration 2026 - 1.5 over.
September Grocery Challenge - taking the month off
Declutter 12 things (net) in 2026 -9 -
I am not going anywhere today so shan't be Knitting In Public (although I shall always treasure the time I was standing on a crowded frantic busy rush-hour Platform One at Wolverhampton, and a frazzled exhausted woman dashed along and suddenly stopped, gazed and then told me she felt completely different now, how soothing it was to see me standing there just calm and serene and knitting, and that she thought it was a public service and every station should have one!!)...
... but I am very glad that I am now able to knit! My old spinal problem has been having one last effort- now that so much of me is now fitter and stronger once more (although very very overweight), my shoulders decided to stage an attention-seeking series of twinges which gradually reduced my range of movement, so for some months I have had to have Mr E help me dress and undress, have to be very careful what I wear when I go to swim and even so, occasionally have to ask for help, and have been unable to knit at all... finally, thanks to an excellent physio, I am now able to knit for 5-10 minutes if I am very careful to ensure my shoulder-blades are rotated back and lying flat before I start and do stretches afterwards!
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);8 -
Ouch Laura, that sounds awful. Glad the physio is helping, but it just takes so long.2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used7
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

