We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
That's very pretty as well as practical, @MrsCD. What sort of thread have you used?I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
@Cherryfudge, thank you. It's King Cole mercerised cotton 4 ply from my stash, so I don't know how old it is! I've been on a hunt for more patterns, but I'm also thinking it would be quicker to crochet around a circle of netting.
The pattern is from www.jugcover.blogspot.com but without the little jug in the middle. It measures 17"/43 cm diameter.2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used8 -
Thank you! I thought there was something different about the thread and the ways it falls... now, having looked up mercerisation, I understand better. I thought it was about having a sort of sheen to the thread, I didn't realise it also adds strength and the colour last better. And that really is a very pretty colour.MrsCD said:It's King Cole mercerised cotton 4 ply from my stash, so I don't know how old it is!
You will have us all searching our vintage patterns for alternative patterns for you, but the one you've done works really well.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
Very pretty, @MrsCD, and useful too! I've made jug/bowl covers to order, and for quickness's sake used leftover scraps of Tana lawn, with small buttons or shells picoted (if there is such a word) round the edges. About 10 of them were ordered by a camper who announced that he and all the inhabitants of his street had come camping down here, as they do every year, but wasps kept getting onto the cream at the breakfast table! Must be a different sort of camping to what I do... and much though I love my neighbours, I'm not sure I'd want to go camping with them all for two weeks!
Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)7 -
That is really pretty, Mrs CD. And I'm dead envious. I can't crochet for toffee-nuts, and its not through lack of trying.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/767 -
That is lovely @MrsCD. My vote is to do another one and use the same coloured yarn to match. That’s not just because it’ll help you nail the things that went wrong this time, but because everyone at the coffee morning will know the pink ones are yours, so they won’t go astray.
Good luck with the blanket, @Liverpool_Anne. Hopefully you won’t discover any other damage to the yarn.
Ditto with the quilt @thriftwizard .
What is everyone else working on at the moment? Do you remember the teal coloured jumper I was knitting where I knitted the sleeves in the round and discovered the sleeve heads were too small for the armholes because I hadn’t taken into account that there were no decreases in the pattern for the underarms? Well, I’ve ripped them back to the 8th pattern repeat and am reknitting them flat from that point. Hope to get them finished within the next week.
Its successor project, Knitter’s Delight, was completed last weekend and just needs to be washed and photographed. I made the sensible decision to test wash my swatch on the wool cycle in the washing machine on Thursday and, while it didn’t shrink, it did lose so much stitch definition that I have decided this jumper is handwash only.
You may have noticed that I have a real issue where, if I don’t sew my knitting up and weave in ends immediately after finishing it, I never get around to it. I’ve started a Finishing Off Project and I should have some more photos to share with you soon. That black, short-sleeved jumper I shared with you last month is one example. (I finished knitting the pieces in March 2021!) There are five projects left on the list:- Diagonal Pattern Shirt Blouse from Knitting in Vogue. This jumper predates both Ravelry and my blog, and has been waiting for me to finish sewing on the collar for about 20 years. Seriously, I’d forgotten it existed until I was looking for something else. I restarted sewing down the collar earlier this week and I’m 99% done. All that’s left is to position the short edge of the placket and stitch it down. However, I’ve just noticed a small hole on the back that’ll need fixing. No others - I’ve checked. With the exception of buttons, this will be finished today.
- Entertain in This based on a pattern from the Lux Knitting Book 1936. That’s been lurking since 2016. I think it just needs the cuffs sewn down.
- Trott (aka Carmine). I finished this one in December 2020. It only needs the sleeves sewing up. Seriously, I think I’ve been procrastinating because I know this is going to be a handwash only jumper. I machine washed my swatch years ago and it shrank to the point where it wouldn’t even make a stubby holder. I should be able to sew this one up tonight, while watching the Champion’s League Final.
- Acer Cardigan. This was finished in 2017 and got worn a few times, but I always had a problem with aligning the button band. Then I realised that I’d knitted an extra repeat on one front, so it was at least an inch longer than the other! I’ve ripped out the button band, etc, but never got around to putting it back together.
- Deco. Another one that was finished years ago (January 2015), which just needs press-studs sewn on and buttons attached. I regret not doing button holes. The button bands are knitted as you go, so I can’t frog them and add button holes now.
I hereby vow to have all of the above finished before I return to work at the end of July.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag7 -
I am the world's worst procrastinator/non finisher, I loathe sewing up and I'm always excited to start the next thing. I will watch your progress with interest, Pip!
Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.6 -
The Knitter's delight is a really pretty pattern @PipneyJane. I look forward to seeing what colour you've chosen. It's a shame that those contrasting stitches have lost definition, but I would imagine they still show up because they're very distinctive.
You have an impressive list to accomplish in June, but we must all do our bit for the war effort. I have ground to a halt with creating things and am instead getting snowed under with mending, some of which is a bit daunting, so I need to push along with that.
Do you have the buttons for your shirt blouse? That would be my sticking point: 'I know I have them, but where did I put them?' I would very much like to see a picture once it's done please!I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
Wow! That's quite a list to finish off in a short time, @PipneyJane. They're all beautiful patterns though. I'm not an adventurous knitter at all. Socks are the only things I've knitted to wear recently, although I do have a crochet hexagon cardi waiting to be finished off!
I won't have enough of the pink yarn to make another doily, but I have some cream which should work if I do stripes. I'll let you know...
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used7 -
oh my word @PipneyJane - that is a list and a half. Cheering you on for the end of July.I have a small 'to be finished list' - probably mentioned before ... Rowan Fyne vest & Midwinter blanket, (still weaving in ends at Knit & Natter); also a learn 'how to' knit in the round/steeking practice project, (June Dickinson's 'I'm a little teapot' tea cosy).I do have an abandoned list- the brioche or maybe fisherman rib - possibly Pingouin patttern from eons ago, long since lost the pattern. I'm still looking for 'the perfect' fisherman rib sweater pattern;- a intarsia Patricia Roberts pattern 'Tarzan' from way back - whenupon I decided that I don't like doing intarsia.- an Edina Ronay cotton sweater - another intarsia, (see above for why it wasn't finished)!Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons 27/66
Stash in: (yarn) 12 coupons
(fabric) 15 coupons
Stash out (yarn): 18 coupons 12 x OH socks6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

