We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
@Sarahspangles - it was ever so kind of her to give me the cardigan! But I am having to fight the urge to unknit the entire thing to re-knit it!
But no, I shall restrain myself and just knit the sleeves acc'g to the pattern (probably making them a little shorter since I only ever wear long sleeves right down in midwinter, and this colour is distinctly not midwinter-y!)
And I have certainly knitted some wonky things in my time... and sewn more!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
Do you have time and energy to reknit it? If you do, just be brutal and rip it out. You won't be happy with that waistline otherwise, and will never wear it, and how sad would that be?Laura_Elsewhere said:I am having to fight the urge to unknit the entire thing to re-knit it!
We will bring fortifying cuppas and cheer you on.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/225 -
tbh, I don't just now... I can only knit for short periods as yet (making progress well thoughCherryfudge said:
Do you have time and energy to reknit it? If you do, just be brutal and rip it out. You won't be happy with that waistline otherwise, and will never wear it, and how sad would that be?Laura_Elsewhere said:I am having to fight the urge to unknit the entire thing to re-knit it!
We will bring fortifying cuppas and cheer you on.
) so doing the entire thing would be a huge job. At present the waist fits, it's just less snug than I like, but it looks fine. 2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
So the main part is okay, the sleeves can be done - perhaps the waist could be modified later, even if it's a bit complicated?Laura_Elsewhere said:
tbh, I don't just now... I can only knit for short periods as yet (making progress well thoughCherryfudge said:
Do you have time and energy to reknit it? If you do, just be brutal and rip it out. You won't be happy with that waistline otherwise, and will never wear it, and how sad would that be?Laura_Elsewhere said:I am having to fight the urge to unknit the entire thing to re-knit it!
We will bring fortifying cuppas and cheer you on.
) so doing the entire thing would be a huge job. At present the waist fits, it's just less snug than I like, but it looks fine. I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/224 -
@Laura_Elsewhere, when you get to the point where you can’t stand the waistband any longer, may I suggest running a lifeline into the row of stitches above it and then snipping a stitch on the next row down and unravelling from there? You can then knit downwards from the stitches you secured with the lifeline, lengthen the jumper if you wish, and correct the waistband.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag5 -
Ummm.... "The waist ribbing is very very loose but as it was knitted bottom-up I really can't face trying to undo all of it just now! Sometime in the future, if I lose more weight I may well do- it's a very lovely eau-de-Nîl colour, and I love the body design, so... "Cherryfudge said:
So the main part is okay, the sleeves can be done - perhaps the waist could be modified later, even if it's a bit complicated?Laura_Elsewhere said:
tbh, I don't just now... I can only knit for short periods as yet (making progress well thoughCherryfudge said:
Do you have time and energy to reknit it? If you do, just be brutal and rip it out. You won't be happy with that waistline otherwise, and will never wear it, and how sad would that be?Laura_Elsewhere said:I am having to fight the urge to unknit the entire thing to re-knit it!
We will bring fortifying cuppas and cheer you on.
) so doing the entire thing would be a huge job. At present the waist fits, it's just less snug than I like, but it looks fine.
So yes, that is the plan
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
And yep, that is indeed the plan!PipneyJane said:@Laura_Elsewhere, when you get to the point where you can’t stand the waistband any longer, may I suggest running a lifeline into the row of stitches above it and then snipping a stitch on the next row down and unravelling from there? You can then knit downwards from the stitches you secured with the lifeline, lengthen the jumper if you wish, and correct the waistband.
- Pip
But not just at present...
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
I completely understand. I just hope that you get to the point, soon, when you’re out of pain and able to do all the activities you want to do.Laura_Elsewhere said:
And yep, that is indeed the plan!PipneyJane said:@Laura_Elsewhere, when you get to the point where you can’t stand the waistband any longer, may I suggest running a lifeline into the row of stitches above it and then snipping a stitch on the next row down and unravelling from there? You can then knit downwards from the stitches you secured with the lifeline, lengthen the jumper if you wish, and correct the waistband.
- Pip
But not just at present...
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
Hi Pip, whilst you were at the oval on the 7th, I was at Canterbury. DH and I watched Kent beat Somerset by four balls, 4 wickets 😀👏PipneyJane said:
Thanks for the reminder @MrsCD. I am going to the rugby union grand final tomorrow at Twickenham, so will definitely be knitting in public. (My sister and brother-in-law are over from Oz. It’s a treat for him to go to Twickenham for a game. We were at The Oval tonight for a T20. Too cold to knit!)MrsCD said:Just a shout out to remind everyone that Saturday is National Knitting in Public Day! I'm going out for a cuppa with my friend in the morning, and taking some knitting!
- Pip2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge5 -
Hi Laura, good to hear that the physio is starting to work. Keep going with it. I am now 4+ months into my physio, oh what a difference. I saw my physiotherapist again today and have been given more exercises which will help me to get back to swimming.Laura_Elsewhere said:I am not going anywhere today so shan't be Knitting In Public (although I shall always treasure the time I was standing on a crowded frantic busy rush-hour Platform One at Wolverhampton, and a frazzled exhausted woman dashed along and suddenly stopped, gazed and then told me she felt completely different now, how soothing it was to see me standing there just calm and serene and knitting, and that she thought it was a public service and every station should have one!!)...
... but I am very glad that I am now able to knit! My old spinal problem has been having one last effort- now that so much of me is now fitter and stronger once more (although very very overweight), my shoulders decided to stage an attention-seeking series of twinges which gradually reduced my range of movement, so for some months I have had to have Mr E help me dress and undress, have to be very careful what I wear when I go to swim and even so, occasionally have to ask for help, and have been unable to knit at all... finally, thanks to an excellent physio, I am now able to knit for 5-10 minutes if I am very careful to ensure my shoulder-blades are rotated back and lying flat before I start and do stretches afterwards!2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

