We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Hello all, language is so interesting isn't it, I do wish I had the brain capacity to be multilingual, though at the moment I probably am with "work" English and "at home" English.
With regards to the pants, I used part of a 1940's pattern (size up as I'm rather large!) and the bob pants, mainly to have an elastic waist. I haven't worn fitted pants since prior to covid so didn't want to start panicking myself and thought I'd do that for my next pair.
I cut out all the pieces and then handsewn them with different stitches, I just did a normal running stitch to attach the pieces together and then did a finishing on all the exposed parts so they couldn't unravel. The waistband is sadly raw inside, but I've done it that way so I could a) reduce the elastic as needed because I am attempting to diet and b) be able to make modifications as I want these to last for a very long time. If I was going to make them again with elastic and wasn't worried about modifications I would probably use some binding and bind the raw parts off so that they would fray less.
I decided to start hand sewing my clothes because well, I could if I was using the machine make these pants in an afternoon after work (a dress is the same depending on appearance), whilst that means I would have got my pants a hell of a lot faster than now, as on and off these took around 4/5 months to do, it is no better than fast fashion. Hand sewing them meant that they became a part of my routine and I started to love them before I even finished them and I am more likely to take care of them and mend them (though I would have done even if I did sew them in an afternoon) because of the time it's taken and the whole self achievement has helped a lot.
Wondering what to next, I'd love a pair of sailor shorts for winter or even a new dress, so currently on the lookout for patterns. I did see Wearing History's 1940's dungarees which have been tempting me for a very long time, but I estimate that's probably going to be a year long task, hand sewing so unsure.
Will post a photo once I find out how to take a photo of them!9 -
I love your take on hand sewing, @talesfromamicroholding. All these years I've been feeling I hadn't quite 'got there' because I can hand sew but not machine sew, but actually you are right: while machine sewing is a skill, hand sewing is the basic essential and has many micro skills encompassed in it. If I convert the thought to cooking, it's like saying I could hand mix instead of using a food processor. I have a food processor which is rarely used, as I have the skills and inclination to use my hands and the sensitivities they've built up during the years (and some sort of implement, I hasten to add: I'm not up to my elbows in batter!)
So I applaud your mindful sewing, and what's more, nothing's going to unravel if you've sewn by hand.
You will have to explain 'bob pants' to me though please!
Are you posting from a computer or via your phone? Depending which, I'm sure one of us can talk you through uploading a photo.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/227 -
I will probably posting from a computer but it would be more taking the photos of the pants! As they are black they are the worst thing to photograph. Might do some in my sisters kitchen as at least her floor is big enough to show them offCherryfudge said:
Are you posting from a computer or via your phone? Depending which, I'm sure one of us can talk you through uploading a photo.
6 -
Yes, black is horrible to photograph! I wish you success.talesfromamicroholding said:As they are black they are the worst thing to photograph. Might do some in my sisters kitchen as at least her floor is big enough to show them off
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
Hi all, I have finally finished the rework of the scrap blanket and have started baby blanket number 1, baby due on Christmas day so I should get it done

@PipneyJane I love the idea of you explaining how Britain works
.
Take care everyone8 -
Ooh, a Christmas baby @Liverpool_Anne! How lovely! We had a few near-misses in our family: the closest to Christmas is two days away.
I thought this thread might be the place to share this article on keeping clothes going: I was interested that there's a product that aims to remove some of the effects of laundry detergent but I wonder if that's applicable for things washed using one of those 'eggs'I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/223 -
I don't know about the Dylon Detergent, although I would love to try it. I do have an egg, but dont use it as I don't think its particularly effective. I've been doing sashiko on a pair of jeans for years. I use them for the garden or rough jobs round the house and probably have had an additional 4-5 years wear out of them.
I found sodium percarbonate very effective for bleaching and whitening clothes. However, a word of warning: soak the clothes in a bucket in the bath! It turns any varnished surface black, as I discovered to my cost when I soaked some clothes with sodium percarbonate in the kitchen sink. OH wasn't amused as he had spent a week patiently building up five layers of varnish on the kitchen worktops just three months before.....Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/767 -
@Liverpool_Anne, how lovely, a new baby! 😊
I sort of hope it isn't born on Christmas Day, as my friend, hates her Christmas day birthday. One of her relatives once tried the, " I'll just give her one bigger present, for Christmas and her birthday," but her mum put a stop to that idea. I think the idea is nice for other folks, but not necessarily for the child. My friend has her birthday on the morning, then it's Christmas from lunchtime.
Hope mum and baby do well xx.2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used6 -
Interesting article, @Cherryfudge, I had seen an ad for the Dylon detergent but hadn’t really understood what it was.I use an eco egg for most of my everyday washing, which isn’t usually very dirty, just gently worn. I use liquid soap and washing soda (thank you, Nancy Birtwistle!) for other washing, and I also use ‘green’ bleach. I didn’t know about the varnish - I don’t have any in my kitchen but I’ll bear that in mind, thanks @CapricornLass!Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.4
-
It isn’t just combined presents, my birthday is a couple of weeks before Xmas so, as an adult, if we go for a meal the restaurant is in full ‘Xmas work party’ mode. I used to refuse to put up the Xmas cards and decorations until my birthday cards had had a couple of days airing!MrsCD said:@Liverpool_Anne, how lovely, a new baby! 😊
I sort of hope it isn't born on Christmas Day, as my friend, hates her Christmas day birthday. One of her relatives once tried the, " I'll just give her one bigger present, for Christmas and her birthday," but her mum put a stop to that idea. I think the idea is nice for other folks, but not necessarily for the child. My friend has her birthday on the morning, then it's Christmas from lunchtime.
Hope mum and baby do well xx.
Now my children have left home Xmas is even more low key and starts on either the solstice or Xmas Eve depending on when my last working day falls. It’s all cleared away by New Year’s Eve as my son is a New Year’s Day baby.
More on topic, I always did the ‘something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read’ when they were at home.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/896
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
