We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
In days of old … things that covered your legs came in two parts, they hadn’t quite perfected zips, fly buttons etc so drawers (which were not worn in any form till the 19th century) came as two separate legs that you’d fasten with ties at the waist. Hence - a pair of drawers. Originally worn by men, then taken on my women.I’m pretty sure trousers started off in the same way - the word comes from trouse or trews (which is a word my school friend’s Yorkshire granny used to use) and originally they’d also have been in two halves. Hence a pair of trousers/pants/kecks!Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.7
-
Fascinating article @PollyWollyDoodle! And my Mum called trousers 'trews', probably because she didn't like to think her girls were wearing trousers! She was from London, whereas I think of 'trews' as a Northern/Scottish word.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/225 -
Keks and underkeks in Cumbria too!Sarahspangles said:
My OH calls trousers ‘pants’, so it seems to be a Lancashire thing too. In Yorkshire the dialect is kecks for trousers and underkecks for pants!talesfromamicroholding said:
Ahhh I do apologise, I forget that there are probably a lot more American counterparts on here than there used to be, I'll make sure to put both references next time when stating something which might have a different wording for themLaura_Elsewhere said:
I did a cracking double-take at that before realising you mean the American use of pants to mean trousers...talesfromamicroholding said:I haven't worn pants in so long
✒️ Declutter 2026 🏅 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅)
👗 Fashion on the Ration 2026 58/66✒️ Declutter 2025 🏅👗 Fashion on the Ration 2025✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2024✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2023✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️ ⭐️👗Fashion on the Ration 2022✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)6 -
Oh and another word which I think is northern, one of my student friends used to refer to underpants as ‘trollies’.Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.5
-
We have other topics of conversation too!PollyWollyDoodle said:Oh and another word which I think is northern, one of my student friends used to refer to underpants as ‘trollies’.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/895 -
Kecks and underkecks or undercrackers in Liverpool
4 -
We do have a couple of Americans and Canadians here too. I try to use the English words (versus the American words) and temperature readings in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit ( I look it up on Google) when I can. Though sometimes I find myself using the terms at home and confuse my roommates.8
-
I’m a fan of Georgette Heyer, in a Facebook group lots of us have had to admit using words and phrases she did in her Regency books! ‘Drunk as a wheelbarrow’ is a favourite.weenancyinAmerica said:We do have a couple of Americans and Canadians here too. I try to use the English words (versus the American words) and temperature readings in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit ( I look it up on Google) when I can. Though sometimes I find myself using the terms at home and confuse my roommates.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/8912 -
weenancyinAmerica said:We do have a couple of Americans and Canadians here too. I try to use the English words (versus the American words) and temperature readings in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit ( I look it up on Google) when I can. Though sometimes I find myself using the terms at home and confuse my roommates.
@weenancyinAmerica, I appreciate your problems. As well as being active here, I spent 15 years hanging around the American M0tley Fool discussion boards, and a decade working for an American company. I’m used to translating between the British and American dialects, as well as to/from my native Australian. Probably most confusing for you are some of the money terms, since a “pension” is a very different product in America to Britain. (My understanding is that most British pensions are the equivalent of an American 401k or an Australian Superannuation plan. See what i mean?)
The British can be confusing. As the known Australian on a big construction project, I once got cornered by the client’s auditors - French and Canadian - and asked to explain how Britain “worked”, explaining road signs, pub licensing rules, etc. Things we take for granted, but they’d never encountered before. I was in there for over an hour, and I think they only asked me two questions about the project’s accounts. (I was the project accountant.)
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag10 -
Another 2 coupons to declare - 100g sock wool. I'm in awe of self striping wool - it's colourwork without floats!Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons 27/66
Stash in: (yarn) 12 coupons
(fabric) 15 coupons
Stash out (yarn): 21 coupons 14 x OH socks10
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

