Ulster Bank BEWARE

Options

Comments

• Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    I've heard of savings accounts requiring a current account for transfers, but they usually will only allow you to open the saver once you've got an active current account.

I agree that this is really bad practice from Ulster Bank, and I'd consider submitting a complaint for it not being clear enough.
    What specifically are you suggesting is "really bad practice from Ulster Bank", given the way the thread has developed?  They are now clear that savings accounts will only be opened for current account holders, but this restriction wasn't in place earlier on....
    Some who opened the Loyalty saver account without also having an Ulster current account have reported difficulties in withdrawing from the savings account. The apparent solution was to ask for an associated card and card reader, to enable withdrawals. If this was indeed the only means of making withdrawals, I can understand why there were some complaints regarding Ulster Bank. Most other savings accounts would be easier to operate in comparison.

I opened the saver after switching to Ulster, and the accounts operate as advertised, no complaints from me.
    Still top interest rate, and unlike the other NLA top rate accounts, the rate doesn't fall off after a year.
  • IsCat
    IsCat Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Just registered to post this - I applied a few days ago, usual security verification, no different to anywhere else I’ve used and easily able to transfer money between Ulster Bank and Nationwide. No card reader needed, the app does it all. Just like every other banking app.
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    IsCat said:
    Just registered to post this - I applied a few days ago, usual security verification, no different to anywhere else I’ve used and easily able to transfer money between Ulster Bank and Nationwide. No card reader needed, the app does it all. Just like every other banking app.
    Is this relating to the loyalty Saver alone, or did you also need to open a current account?

• IsCat
    IsCat Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I haven’t got a current account with UB and I see that is now a requirement but I must have got in before that changed. 
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    IsCat said:
    I haven’t got a current account with UB and I see that is now a requirement but I must have got in before that changed. 
    Good that you managed to open that without the current account. The interest rate has held up so far while others have fallen or been withdrawn. It's not been as popular as some other accounts, as many were put off by the problems and delays in dealing with Ulster. 
  • rosspaul
    rosspaul Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My 2 pennies....
    If you want your money in an institution safer than Fort Knox then look no further.
    This is supposed to be an easy access account - ha ha. Have any of you guys tried getting money out from them?
    Before I transferred money to them I rang them and asked about their transfer limits I was basically told it wouldn’t be a problem if I requested withdrawals by phone. I was also told that I could use the app if I had enhanced biometrics active. When I try to activate it says I cant because Ive only recently started using the app. One adviser told me to keep trying and eventually it will work another said it will work after 28 days.
    My mistake I put too much in I tried the app & it said I was limited on the amount I could withdraw (1K). I rang them & asked them to transfer some of my money out. I was told I couldn’t cos I didn’t have a card reader or card. Well thanks for telling me when I initially requested the info! He suggested I send a signed fax but when when I said but you don’t have my signature to compare he agreed it wouldn’t work.
    I requested I speak to a Supervisor & he was very helpful who said that I can get full access after I receive a card & reader which he assured me was on its way. He again suggested the fax method & I said about not having a signature. He said that my passport which I had uploaded had my signature on. OK so I got my money next day minus £25, their fee. Of course I got that refunded when I complained to my friendly Supervisor. He also told me to open a normal current account with them to help transfers I did so but in hindsight I don’t think it is necessary.
    I await the reader pin & card & meanwhile I have raised an official complaint. Their advisors need more training re the Anytime saver account & the app is misleading. App says withdrawal limits reset 18:30 each day. I last requested money on the app 2 days ago & it still wont let me have access.

• Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    The whole NatWest banking group should be avoided like the Plague. They sit in meetings devising all kinds of tricks. Horrible people.
  • Tommaso46
    Tommaso46 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    £25 to withdraw YOUR OWN MONEY!!!!!???????????
  • Malchester
    Malchester Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    After the rather laborious account opening procedure never had a problem with Ulster Bank and this account. Have moved funds in and out with ease, and it has always been instant. Have a card reader (any card reader will do) and a card to use if needed but I have never needed to. The only problem I had was when trying to transfer funds from Santander to Ulster Bank. Santander were sure it was a scam but it all got sorted. Would recommend Ulster Bank
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    rosspaul said:
    My 2 pennies....
    If you want your money in an institution safer than Fort Knox then look no further.
    This is supposed to be an easy access account - ha ha. Have any of you guys tried getting money out from them?
    Before I transferred money to them I rang them and asked about their transfer limits I was basically told it wouldn’t be a problem if I requested withdrawals by phone. I was also told that I could use the app if I had enhanced biometrics active. When I try to activate it says I cant because Ive only recently started using the app. One adviser told me to keep trying and eventually it will work another said it will work after 28 days.
    My mistake I put too much in I tried the app & it said I was limited on the amount I could withdraw (1K). I rang them & asked them to transfer some of my money out. I was told I couldn’t cos I didn’t have a card reader or card. Well thanks for telling me when I initially requested the info! He suggested I send a signed fax but when when I said but you don’t have my signature to compare he agreed it wouldn’t work.
    I requested I speak to a Supervisor & he was very helpful who said that I can get full access after I receive a card & reader which he assured me was on its way. He again suggested the fax method & I said about not having a signature. He said that my passport which I had uploaded had my signature on. OK so I got my money next day minus £25, their fee. Of course I got that refunded when I complained to my friendly Supervisor. He also told me to open a normal current account with them to help transfers I did so but in hindsight I don’t think it is necessary.
    I await the reader pin & card & meanwhile I have raised an official complaint. Their advisors need more training re the Anytime saver account & the app is misleading. App says withdrawal limits reset 18:30 each day. I last requested money on the app 2 days ago & it still wont let me have access.

Not the easiest access account if you don't have a current account with them. Maybe why they now say you have to have one to be eligible to open this Loyalty saver.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback