Options

Comments

• boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    daeargwr said:
    daeargwr said:
    Closing the account is like pulling teeth!  Finally managed to do it after speaking to someone on the phone. 
    I spoke too soon - turns out they didn't manage to close it because I didn't provide them with the details of another Ulster bank account to pay the outstanding interest into.  Except I don't have an Ulster bank current account only the Loyalty Saver.  They then advised to visit a branch (I live in GB where there are no branches) or to put the details of any friends of family with an Ulster bank current account.....!

I've finally written to them snail mail asking if they can close the account.  At least I know who I'll never be opening an account with again.
    If they still refuse to close it just open a current account with them, which can be done online (put Belfast as your chosen branch). then close the savings account and CASS the current account after the interest is in it.
  • daeargwr
    daeargwr Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    boingy said:
    daeargwr said:
    daeargwr said:
    Closing the account is like pulling teeth!  Finally managed to do it after speaking to someone on the phone. 
    I spoke too soon - turns out they didn't manage to close it because I didn't provide them with the details of another Ulster bank account to pay the outstanding interest into.  Except I don't have an Ulster bank current account only the Loyalty Saver.  They then advised to visit a branch (I live in GB where there are no branches) or to put the details of any friends of family with an Ulster bank current account.....!

I've finally written to them snail mail asking if they can close the account.  At least I know who I'll never be opening an account with again.
    If they still refuse to close it just open a current account with them, which can be done online (put Belfast as your chosen branch). then close the savings account and CASS the current account after the interest is in it.
    I ended up having to send them a letter in the post requesting the account closure which they finally did and paid the outstanding interest.  I also raised a complaint and got an additional £130 from them as compensation.
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ulster Bank is Northern Ireland though, there used to be another Ulster Bank in Republic Of Ireland but that was a separate thing and closed 
  • martinisfab
    martinisfab Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anybody else in mainland Britain had problems withdrawing their money and getting their interest paid from their Ulster Bank account? 

I was going to use Ulster Bank for my savings as the rate is good, but, in light of the issues reported above, am now hesitant.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure I see any evidence that it's any more or less difficult if you're in NI or GB. Every provider will occasionally slow things down and/or ask customers to jump through extra hoops to prevent fraud. 
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    Has anybody else in mainland Britain had problems withdrawing their money and getting their interest paid from their Ulster Bank account? 

I was going to use Ulster Bank for my savings as the rate is good, but, in light of the issues reported above, am now hesitant.
    Ulster Bank don't pay interest on current accounts. They do pay the top rate on their Loyalty savings account though.
    You need to open the current account to get the savings account, which then is easy to operate, exactly the same online and app as NatWest and RBS.

• martinisfab
    martinisfab Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May at 10:29AM
    Options

Ulster Bank don't pay interest on current accounts. They do pay the top rate on their Loyalty savings account though.
    You need to open the current account to get the savings account, which then is easy to operate, exactly the same online and app as NatWest and RBS.

I was referring to the savings account, as other people have in this thread.

I have opened a savings account without a current account.

Further to the worrying comments above, have people had problems have withdrawing their capital and interest from their Ulster Bank savings account?

Thanks.

Update: I have rang Ulster Bank. They really are atrocious. The only way to transfer out/withdraw from a savings account is apparently to transfer to a current account with them and then from the current account to another bank account. Strangely, they didn't explain to me that a current account was essential to withdraw out.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 May at 10:23AM
    Options

I have opened a savings account without a current account, so having a current account is not a prerequisite.
    Though they did amend the terms to restrict opening the Loyalty Saver to Ulster Bank current account holders only. I'm assuming you applied before this restriction came into force though:

Further to the worrying comments above, have people had problems have withdrawing their capital and interest from their Ulster Bank savings account?
    For what it's worth I've had no issues whatsoever with making withdrawals from the account, it's all instant and I had no issues receiving the accrued interest. The only reason my account currently sits empty is because  barring ISAs I haven't got more than £5k in accounts paying below 5.5% to put in it.

The account took a while to set up but once it was set up it behaved like NatWest/RBS.
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

I have opened a savings account without a current account, so having a current account is not a prerequisite.
    Though they did amend the terms to restrict opening the Loyalty Saver to Ulster Bank current account holders only. I'm assuming you applied before this restriction came into force though:

For what it's worth I've had no issues whatsoever with making withdrawals from the account, it's all instant and I had no issues receiving the accrued interest. The only reason my account currently sits empty is because  barring ISAs I haven't got more than £5k in accounts paying below 5.5% to put in it.

The account took a while to set up but once it was set up it behaved like NatWest/RBS.

Same experience here
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure